Home Forums Chat Forum Eurohike Shadow 250 Nightfall – good enough?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Eurohike Shadow 250 Nightfall – good enough?
  • easily
    Free Member

Good evening campers
    It’s a loooooooong time since I’ve been camping, and even longer since I’ve bought a tent .. I think they were made out of leather or flax or something back when I last purchased.
    I’ve been having a look in various places at different styles, weights, manufacturers, etc when this attracted my attention
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16235459/eurohike-shadow-250-nightfall-tunnel-tent-16235459
    It’s a fair bit heavier and bigger than I was looking for, but it seems an absolute bargain at the price. Other places are selling it for £160, and it has good reviews.

Of course I never make any decision without running it past STW first, so what do we think? It’s very heavy for bikepacking (though I could just take the outer I guess) but seems good to me in other respects. I know nothing of eurohike so I need your collective wisdom.

Thanks in advance everyone. If I buy it I’ll put up a pic of it pitched in my garden so you can all criticize my lawn.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

What do you want to use it for? Cheap and cheerful but I wouldn’t want to lug it up a mountain and a bit small for car camping with the family.

johnners
    Free Member

It’ll be fine for 2 season solo car camping at low levels, it’d take 2 at a push. Tbh I don’t think you can realistically expect a £39 tent to do much else, and seeing the festival shots in the promo pictures that seems to be what the manufacturer has in mind for it.

Hard to go too far wrong if you’re only spending £39 on it.

easily
    Free Member

Initially it’s for going to a dual 50th birthday weekend camping celebration. It’s just for me, so seems ideal for that purpose. I’ll be travelling mostly by train with maybe 10km of flat cycling at the end.

Afterwards I wouldn’t mind trying a bit of bike packing. It won’t be too adventurous and only for a night or two – I thought I might get away with just taking the inner or outer to cut down on weight and space.

Maybe I should be looking for something smaller.

kormoran
    Free Member

What’s your budget, really? And what’s your intended use?

It’s crazy cheap but it is a heavy tent. You might find better value in a lighter albeit more expensive tent but one you are happier lugging around

easily
    Free Member

The budget is tricky as I also need to buy a sleeping bag, mat, and possibly a cooker. And anything else I remember I need in the next couple of weeks.

I think I’m inclined to get this as it’s such a low price then spend a bit more on the sleeping bag.

Any suggestions? I really am out of the loop with this sort of thing.

Ambrose

Buy cheap buy twice. If it is heavy you won’t want to lug it around… So you won’t. And will have wasted your cash.

johnners
    Free Member

Can you borrow some kit, at least to see what works for you? It’d maybe give you an idea of where you want to direct your cash if you’re on a tight budget. Tbh any budget setup will be bulky and heavy unless you luck out on the secondhand market.

irc
    Free Member

This tent is only a few quid more and is half the weight. Drawbacks?  Very low.  On the other hand low profile may be better in the wind. Anything past around 2.2kg is a real lump for carrying.

https://www.tiso.com/eatnz7ti0192/oex-phoxx-1v2-green/00175225/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrvyxBhAbEiwAEg_Kgg0vrUWT_v-eWr8xbUxzRNoiuqvj4L-172y-M4ZYXr6BOWMA7uYZrRoCRlMQAvD_BwE

joebristol

I’ve got the 3 man version of that tent just as a cheap and small thing to put up on my own if my daughter and I grab a quick night away canping. You can see where money has been saved vs more expensive tents – it misses things out like the mesh door that keep flies out but let air in etc.

I don’t think I’d want to try and strap it to a bike and pedal anywhere with it though h.

The one linked by IRC seems a much better option if that’s your plan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s a fair bit heavier and bigger than I was looking for, but it seems an absolute bargain at the price. Other places are selling it for £160,

Your being marketed to . That is not and never has been a 160 quid tent. Anyone paying that is being mugged even in today’s climate.

50 quid tops.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The Vango soul 200 at 56 quid at ellis Brigham currently would be a good buy in this price bracket . It’s nearly half the weight and from a hardy and respected brand.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Are you near a decathlon store? If you’re thinking of getting all that kit I’d try Decathlon and see what your budget gets you. You’ll get a good idea of weight and bulk.

easily
    Free Member

Decathlon is a good idea, I’ll take a look there.

trail_rat – Thanks for that. As I said I’m completely out of touch with this sort of stuff, I was abroad for more than decade

irc – That is much better, but maybe a little too small for me. The two person (well, one and a half!) version seems a better fit
    https://www.tiso.com/eatnz7ti0199/oex-phoxx-iiv2-green

It’s 2.08 kg rather than 1.6 and a few quid more, but I’d appreciate the extra width and height I think. The list price is £230 – I guess I’m being marketed to again!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.