Viewing 40 posts - 71,561 through 71,600 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Cougar

Whoops.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Out

In.

PrinceJohn

Are we doing the Hokey Cokey now?

Cougar

You do the hokey-cokey and…

Cougar

DAMN IT!

Cougar

Random thought:

Now that the Cons have lost the majority, does that render the DUP alliance redundant?

perchypanther
    Free Member

It certainly reduces their bargaining power for asking for another £3 billion

raybanwomble
    Free Member

😀

dissonance

Now that the Cons have lost the majority, does that render the DUP alliance redundant?

Nah they still need their support so still having to keep paying them off.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Philip Lee putting the boot in to Rees-Mogg now.

This is the gift that keeps on giving.

olddog

Not wanting to spoil the party but…

Johnson’s most likely route to a GE is to suspend the Fixed Parly Act – that just requires a single vote majority. That would then give him a free hand to call an election.l think without going back to Parly.

It would take a huge amount of discipline across the broad sweep of opposition to stop that. I also think he would be free to pick the election date as well without going back to Parly so potentially aftr 31 Oct

Someone tell me wrong please!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well he couldn’t do it by 31st October any how (they’re closed for a queen’s speech remember) , but, even if he could do it in the time frame, I think everyone in parliament would see that for exactly what it is. Especially if he’s just lost a vote to call a GE

In answer to cougar as well, bear in mind A GE is a guaranteed loss of their seat at the table for the DUP, they’ll prop BJ up to the death, even if he doesn’t want it.

olddog

He’d bring a single line Bill on Thursday.

dissonance

Johnson is going to have to update his Churchill book to include how he kicked his grandson out of the tory party or at least his trying to.
    Tad awkward.

Cougar

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Corbyn to make announcement at 6pm regarding a ‘change’ in Labour policy

Did this happen and just get lost in the noise?

He’d bring a single line Bill on Thursday.

It’s got to be timetabled in, approved by PBL first. Then it gets read, then goes away for a while, then comes back with chance to ammend and so on. The process is intended to take about a year.

MSP

If there isn’t an election, the EU won’t extend again.

molgrips
    Free Member

And.. with no deal illegal and no extension.. there’s only one thing left.

Well – two. They’ve already suggested they’ll extend for another ref.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Oh I think they’ll enjoy watching BJ and the ERG twist more than enough to drag it out.

A special place in hell was it?

Edukator
    Free Member

Macron will keep extending, he’s a pragmatist. Merkel will keep extending because for German business it’s “later the better and preferably not at all”. Which of the 27 leaders is going to block an extension? I can’t think of one.

Cougar

The EU27 grants an extension. Leavers: “No, out now!”

The EU27 denies an extension. Leavers: “Why are you punishing us?!”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Greek Olive Oil manufacturers will save us.

Speaking of Greece, has Turkey joined yet?

binners

Emily Thornberry has just been on channel 4 news saying Labour still want a general election but not at a time of Johnson’s calling, suggesting January for a VONC

Thank god for that. It’s going to be brilliant watching him stew.

Just watching his performance at the despatch box today, it’s no wonder he’s suspending parliament. He looks completely out of his depth

Good move of Theresa May to be sat next to Ken Clarke, chortling away to herself as she watched him implode. She must be loving this!

thejesmonddingo

Remind me,was Boris one of THM’s grownups?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Good move of Theresa May to be sat next to Ken Clarke, chortling away to herself as she watched him implode. She must be loving this!

Imagine what it’s going to be like when she votes against him tonight and he has to withdraw the whip from someone who was Prime Minister six weeks ago….

kerley
    Free Member

No, the grown ups are all behind the scenes. They will start to play out their plan soon I imagine.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Imagine what it’s going to be like when she votes against him tonight and he has to withdraw the whip from someone who was Prime Minister six weeks ago….

If she does this, I will finally feel bad about her crying on national news. It’s a shame her legacy is too right wing and toxic for the lib dems to be able to let her swap sides – that would be hilarious.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Why did no one tell me that the (current) leader of UKIP is called Dick Braine?

What a day.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha yeah I was amazed at how relatively little press that got 😂

binners

This weeks Private Eye has got a brilliant article about him and his leadership win over Phil McCrakin, Mike Hunt and Hugh Janus

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Is this a turning point? Where the populists are finally outed for the being the complete idiots that they are?

perchypanther
    Free Member

If she does this

Why wouldn’t she? What does she have to lose at this point?

It was my first thought today when I saw her sitting next to Ken Clarke, grinning.

It’s exactly what I’d do in her position

Sandwich

Johnson’s most likely route to a GE is to suspend the Fixed Parly Act – that just requires a single vote majority. That would then give him a free hand to call an election.l think without going back to Parly.

That has to get past the Lords too and I suspect in this febrile atmosphere that’s not nailed on.

Also tonights legislation is so well drafted that there’s no means to delay, amend or filibuster within it. Shortcummings is finding his OODA loops a bit open.

binners

Don’t bet on it just yet.

According to Channel 4 news, Corbyn is still thinking of calling for the GE Johnson wants.

It would be beyond irony if the leader of the Labour Party gives him his get out of jail free card on the back of a Tory rebellion

sobriety
    Free Member

@davidbelstein I can’t help but notice that in thread below, that you started no less, you were for a Norway style exit, which would seem somewhat at odds with both the current situation, and your assertion of “Out”

BREXIT VOTE – note here pls

slowoldman

that just requires a single vote majority.

He hasn’t got one.

Sandwich

@Binners I’m waiting to see what happens with tonights bill first. The House is due to sit on Monday and not rise until it’s done including responses from The Lords.

Meanwhile prorogation could also disappear as the courts are going to hear the case and The Supreme Court stands ready to hear any appeals.

More constitutional excitement than is decent for our mother of parliaments.

binners

I’m living in hope that in their arrogance, Cummings and Johnson have overstretched themselves, they’re not half as clever as they think they are, and their plan is all now coming unstuck.

The biggest threat to this is the complete absence of even a shred of political nouse at the top of the Labour Party. I worry that Corbyn is about to wade into the elephant trap that is so big that it’s visible from space

kelvin

Labour (and the other opposition party leaders and key MPs) are playing it perfectly at the moment, and handling the media questioning consistently and clearly. Very encouraging.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It would be beyond irony if the leader of the Labour Party gives him his get out of jail free card on the back of a Tory rebellion

But it would be the icing on the cake of the day if he and he alone from the plp voted with boris because no one else was that foolhardy (or just foolish?). Boris stranded on one side of the house, corbyn on the other.

Viewing 40 posts - 71,561 through 71,600 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.