Viewing 40 posts - 70,121 through 70,160 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

I didn’t say the 200Million figure was yours.. it was just another example of a 2014 natfact.
    i.e. Not “made up by me”
    TTFN.

tjagain

Yawn

dogbone

The SNP money tree can’t be any worse than the Labour / Tory / LD one.

With a hard Brexit it’s hard not to see a second Scottish referendum and a leave win. My parents and brother live in Scotland (& voted remain both times) and they would vote leave if it gave a chance of rejoining E.U. I’d be trying to get a Scottish passport…

mattyfez

Yeh the whole Scottish independence thing is a huge issue, the first Scott ref was in the context of the UK in the EU.

Now the goal posts have moved to put it lightly. The Scotts are being taken out of the EU and losing thier rights in the process.

It’s completely legitimate to hold another Scott ref to leave the UK. Things have changed.

AD

Filthy collaborators now…

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-accuses-mps-and-eu-to-collaborate-to-block-brexit-11785259
    Interesting how Boris is picking formats that allow him to talk shite without being questioned. Still ‘democracy’ and ‘taking back control’ etc

This is also quite a good read: https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-we-cant-prepare-for-no-deal-nearly-as-much-as-you-might-think-11784954

I’ m really hoping one of the brexit faithful will be along to cheer me up with some alternative facts.

binners

Watching channel 4 news from Derry, it’s clear that in the event of no deal, then it’s going to go off again in Ireland. It’s a certainty.

All parties in Ireland, North and South, Catholic and Protestant, seem to be in agreement on that.

A great phrase used by one of the blokes interviewed about Boris Johnson:

“Some people’s ignorance is a small gap in their knowledge, Boris Johnson’s knowledge is a small gap in his ignorance”

Nicely summed up

tjagain

Oh look – Westminster tories caught talking mince about scotlands finances again!
    Note the source, have y9our pinch of salt ready but Truss has been caught
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/17834812.tory-minister-caught-lying-scottish-budget-cuts/?fbclid=IwAR1sktEIGCBxI5tzc9wI4FpF3Bc6zz1B5t_5GMHsVJXIaQPP4SQQarPA4Pc

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really the thread for that is it TJ?

tjagain

Not really but I thought eat the pudding might like it

tjagain

In other news 20 labour MPS are proposing to try to get a vote for mays deal! this is because they do not want Remain. Funnily enough led bty Kinnoch junior – a rightwinger and staunch blairite! This is instead of a second referendum which is labour policy!

So yes – its all Corbyns fault

kelvin

This is likely to be a key development, and should be posted here I think…

kelvin

dazh

What’s this? A letter? Offering a second referendum and a remain option? With his signature!

Can we please put this to bed now?

The choice is now with the Lib Dems and anti-brexit Tories. No deal or a second referendum delivered by Corbyn. What’s it to be?

kelvin

I think they’ll look for a way to avoid no deal without making Corbyn PM first (not that I can see anyway they’ll succeed in that).

That letter is enough for me to vote Labour again if they manage to get that election. Not sure it’s enough for them to win a majority though.

Poopscoop

Ffs Corbyn.

3 f****** years!

Where were you?

I desperately want to vote Labour and will. Why was it mate this hard though?

rone

I desperately want to vote Labour and will. Why was it mate this hard though?

Same reason this thread couldn’t reconcile itself.

Public voted for something related to leave, MPs couldn’t deliver majority vote on anything; and the machinations of parties trying to exist in a low majority Government ready to topple.

Corbyn had to wait until there was a Tory minister crazy enough to pursue no deal for there to be a point in blocking it.

That’s in their 2017 manifesto.

whitestone
    Free Member

Of course we will be maintaining our food standards as promised: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49353220

BoardinBob

Ffs Corbyn.

3 f****** years!

Where were you?

I desperately want to vote Labour and will. Why was it mate this hard though

Agree with Rone.

I’ve been hugely frustrated by Corbyn but in reality he had to let this play out as it has. The Tories needed to get to this point to get the tide turned against them.

kelvin

Is the “tide turning against them” though, or have they managed to move from…

Leave EU > Leave Single Market > Leave Single Market without a deal

…successfully in the last few years, and taken an awful lot of the country with them?

tjagain

Li9b dems still holding true to their yellow tories. Swinson refusing to rule out a deal with the tories, refusing to do a deal with labour unless Corbyn goes. so much for principles. If anti brexit is so important then surely Corbyn is a price worth paying?

Swinson simply staying true to her tory lite philosophy. Well it will not wash Swinson. We can see thru you. She would rather have brexit than leave Corbyn as PM in a short term caretaker government

kelvin

(psst – if you wanted Corbyn as PM, why didn’t you vote Labour at the 2017 general election?)

He would rather have brexit than have any Labour politician other than himself as PM in a short term caretaker government

There needs to be some compromise here, dirty or otherwise. If it’s not realistic to get Tories (yellow or otherwise) to vote for a caretaker Labour PM if it’s Corbyn, but it is if it’s someone else… why not propose someone else?

(psst – will you be joining me in voting Labour in a snap general election TJ?)

dissonance

There needs to be some compromise here, dirty or otherwise

Sounds good.

why not propose someone else?

Ah so by compromise you mean Corbyn does want they want?
    The SNP and Plaid Cymru counter suggestions seem sensible and would be the sort of thing to negotiate about. Either get the referendum in first or put extremely strict time limits on the temporary government. Simply throwing the hands up and saying no way shows a certain lack of willingness to compromise.

tjagain

I will be voting tactically. Depends on my local candidates and what the polls say. My seat is unusual in that its now a 3 way marginal ( SNP. Labour. conservative). Vile SNP incumbent. labour candidate tarnished by his time on the council last time. I cannot vote for either. A liar and a carpetbagger or a corrupt buffoon complicit in a rip of of thousands of edinburgh folk. Maybe we get a decent labour candidate?

Gonna be a tricky decision. Brock is so vile I will never vote for her. Munro is a at best a hopeless stooge for corrupt building firms. Of course the tory is beyond the pale. Lib Dems are nowhere so that would be a wasted vote

From a wider point of view labour or SNP makes little differnce in reality.

kelvin

Ah so by compromise you mean Corbyn does want they want?

By compromise, I mean that if MPs from other parties are prepared to make a Labour MP the caretaker PM, but don’t want it to be the leader who they will be up against in a general election, then Labour should grab that opportunity to get the election they have been calling for consistently since 2017. They then get to campaign in that election to get a majority and make their chosen man PM.

If the LibDems or Tory rebels insisted on an MP from one of their own parties (or even an independent) was the caretaker PM, I can see why Labour might be miffed (I still think Lucas would be a great choice, but there you go)… but if they’ll back a Labour MP who won’t be leading the campaign in the snap election… why not go with that to get the election and seek a mandate?

dazh

The libdems have failed at the first hurdle. Their single policy has been no brexit by any means necessary. Now their is a solid proposal from the opposition leader to achieve that it seems that’s not their policy any more and instead it’s no brexit as long as there is some political benefit for the lib dems. It’s like 2010 all over again.

nickc

I cannot vote for either

so wait, you’ve been telling every one on this thread who’s expressed their reluctance when it comes for voting for Labour (and by extension Corbyn) how ignorant and short sighted they’re being, and yet you express exactly the same reservations when it comes to your own choices?

hypocrisy much?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Now their is a solid proposal from the opposition leader

Whose been solidly opposed to the E.U. all his life…..& you want to vote for him in the hope he’ll change the habit of a lifetime & embrace the E.U.?

🤔🤥

dazh

you want to vote for him in the hope he’ll change the habit of a lifetime & embrace the E.U

He’s not offering to embrace the EU, he’s offering a cast-iron opportunity to avoid no deal, followed by an election, and a restatement of labour policy to offer a second referendum with a remain option. Do you want to stop a no deal or do you want Corbyn to say he’s pro-EU? Which is more important?

tjagain

NOpe –

There is a particularly scottish element to this ie the SNP and also the behaviour of labour in Scotland. Then there is the fact that the actions of the last labour candidate in part cost me 17 years of legal battles and tens of thousands of pounds and billions to Edinburgh council tax payers

Then there is the fact that from a brexit point of view there is little difference SNP or labour. ( SNP stronger anti brexit but weaker politically)

You might also note I continually propose tactical anti tory voting.

In an English constituency without these particular local issues I would vote labour or lib dem ( or whoever) had the best chance of beating tories in a marginal. In a safe seat it does not matter.

IN my constituency the anti tory choice is not easy. SNP a liar who has refused to help constituents or the last labour candidate who helped cover up massive corruption that has cost me personally a lot.

In this highly flawed FPTP election given Edinburgh and scottish dimensions then its not an easy choice. If there looks to be a tory surge ( doubtful) then I will vote for the candidate most likely to beat the tories. If there is no tory surge then I really do not care which of the SNP or Labour win and that choice has little bearing on brexit

Edit – if Mark Lazarowicz was still the labour candidate I probably would vote for him. Or if we had a decent SNP rep like my MSP I would probably vote for them.

the choice really is between would you like your backside booting or your shins!

Speeder

The libdems have failed at the first hurdle. Their single policy has been no brexit by any means necessary. Now their is a solid proposal from the opposition leader to achieve that it seems that’s not their policy any more and instead it’s no brexit as long as there is some political benefit for the lib dems. It’s like 2010 all over again.

The LibDems are the alternative offering for any constituency where Labour has absolutely no chance of winning such as mine (Cheltenham). That Labour have come out as No Conf./Referendum/Election simply means that Labour Remainers can now support them with a clear conscience. It will muddy the marginals but I can only see it as a good thing. So long as it gets publicity and some money behind it. Not necessarily in that order.

tjagain

Anti bexit / anti tory tactiual voting is the key – not some sort of ideological purity. ( so long as your candidates are not vile or corrupt

ferrals
    Free Member

It’s completely sensible to say Corbn shouldnt be leader of a caretaker govt; A Govt. Nat. Unity will need the tory rebels on board. I can’t sen them voting Corbyn in. The sensible thing in my mind would be a prominent labour frontbencher (given that labour are the second largest party), the obviosu choice would be Keir Starmer. However I can’t see Corbyn and crew accepting that.

kelvin

Seems obvious to me as well.

tjagain

How would you feel if the price from labour for accepting a national unity government was that Swinson goes as leader of the lib dems?

dazh

How would you feel if the price from labour for accepting a national unity government was that Swinson goes as leader of the lib dems?

This is the crux of it. Corbyn’s opponents in both the libdems and labour are using the threat of no deal to try to remove him as labour leader. Not sure why the libdems are doing that as if he’s so useless they stand to gain. I suspect they are more afraid of an election, as they won’t want to lose their newly acquired turncoats like Chukka.

nedrapier

According to that poll of Tory party members a little while ago, Corbyn in power was pretty much the only price they wouldn’t be willing to pay for Brexit.

Could be the Tory’s bogeyman portrayal of Corbyn might end up doing some good after all.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Anti bexit / anti tory tactiual voting is the key – not some sort of ideological purity.

I agree with TJ….

I’m going to need a lie-down!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Do you want to stop a no deal or do you want Corbyn to say he’s pro-EU? Which is more important?

In an ideal World the back of Corbyn completely would be my preferred option!

dazh

So you’d prefer a no deal brexit to Corbyn as PM?

rone

In an ideal World the back of Corbyn completely would be my preferred option!

Then you can deal with that through a G.E which is on offer.

Viewing 40 posts - 70,121 through 70,160 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.