Viewing 40 posts - 67,841 through 67,880 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Edukator
    Free Member

Well Corbyn went to a £2500 to £3500 per term (depending on age) school, Castle House, so he is very much a part of “the aloof public school governing elite!”

kelvin

he’s also a member of the aloof public school governing elite!

Sorry, he went to a state school and has a long history of doing jobs that any reasonable person would identify as “working class”. Silly me. He is in no way a career politician (not that I think that’s a bad thing) and is working class to the core. Not public school educated. Not part of the political “elite”. Man of the people. Salt of the earth. Also he was never a Brexitier, because he has no history of anti EU campaigning and positioning and voting. None at all.

mattyfez

Several prominent tory MPs today saying they would vote against thier own party in a VONC, if a no deal brexiter replaces may. The numbers are there across the house to take down the government, I’m fairly confident.

Corbyn needs to openly support a 2nd ref though, or get ousted and replaced by someone like Starmer.

Corbyn is dead wood and needs to go.

rone

Well Corbyn went to a £2500 to £3500 per term (depending on age) school, Castle House, so he is very much a part of “the aloof public school governing elite!

I doubt a few years at an independent prep school is quite the equal of attending Eton.

No one can help their background but what you take from it is key.

kelvin

It not the “equal” of Eton, no, and nor is Adams. I think you can comfortably call both “elite” though. I have no doubt that Corbyn is doing what he thinks is best for the “working class”, but he is ultimately still talking about pushing ahead with Brexit with no real experience of what it is like to live a less rarified life. And nothing he has said in the last three years suggests to me that he really understands the areas of business, education, research and personal lives that will be touched by the alternative “an end to FoM, Leave the Single Market, Leave the Customs Union, Jobs First, not a bad Tory Brexit” he espouses.

Del

the remain vote is leaving Labour in droves. Tom Watson and the like recognise it, and are advocating doing something about it. While the Tories continue their downward spiral in to the black hole of faragism, the hardcore brexit vote from both Labour and Tory goes to brexit party. Labour need to provide a home for those remain votes. If they don’t the remain vote will continue to split across lib Dems and green, and nothing will stop this train wreck. Ironically the Brexit party may do enough, take enough of the swivel-eyed with them from the big two, to make it an easier choice for Labour.

binners

Karl Marx’s Garden Gnome (thanks to the Mash for that one) interpreted the Labour parties awful local election results ‘as a message that we need to get on with Brexit’.

So when tonight’s disastrous EU election results come in, he’ll double down, say the same and continue to haemorrhage support to the greens and the Lib Dem’s from remainers who’ve had enough of the fence-sitting, as the hardcore leavers all shuffle off to Farage

Clueless!

mattyfez

Will be interested to see the results of the EU elections tonight from the UK.

I’ve a feeling farage won’t do quite as well as he hopes. There’s a definat upsurge in green /lib dem sentiment. We might see quite an even playing field.

I expect the brexit party to be strongest, but not by much.

Bets on pasties anyone?

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve just finished counting votes at the local polling station, got home and turned the TV on. The results are quite reassuring. The RN (FN 24%) have done slightly better than in the last general election in 2017 but slightly worse then in local elections in 2015. EM (Macron 22.5%) did as well as could be hoped, the Greens 12.5% did well and the rest did somewhere between poorly and catastrophic. When the votes for the two previous governments, Hollande (PS 6.5%) and Sarkosy (LR 8.5%) don’t even get to 10% you know the political landscape has changed, and the Macron – Le Pen duel wasn’t just a blip.

Cougar
    kelvin

How many extra MEPs do we think Labour will pick up, given the strife of the Tories?

Cougar

Somewhere between none and minus figures.

DrJ

So when tonight’s disastrous EU election results come in, he’ll […]

Clueless!

So you’re saying he’s clueless based on your pediction of what he’ll do? In what world does that make sense?

binners

I’ll just have to share this one with you from one of the hardcore Lexiteer Corbyn nutters I know when I told him I’d voted Green.

I’ve voted for ‘rebranded Thatcherism’ apparently.

Just have a think about that for a minute. That’s where we are with the Corbynites in their bunker.

Difficult to know where to start with that, really

brakes
    Free Member

given that we voted on Thursday, why aren’t the results available immediately at 10pm???

binners

Oh come on DrJ. Labour are going to have a disastrous night tonight, and as he’s done before, at every turn, he’ll double down on his voter-jettisoning pro-Brexit nonsense

Len McClusky has been busy doing the warm up act all day today

He’s the mirror image of May. Incompetent, useless and surrounded by a small cabal of ideologues who’s opinion he listens to exclusively, ignoring everyone else, and reality

dissonance

why aren’t the results available immediately at 10pm???

Because counting didnt start till now. I assume to prevent results leaking out and potentially impacting on the decisions of those still to vote.

nickc

given that we voted on Thursday, why aren’t the results available immediately at 10pm

Because some EU countries don’t vote until today, so everyone gets to see the results all at the same time

chewkw
    Free Member

Woohoo!

Brexit party won (2 – 1) in the North East with 39% votes! 🕺💃

240K plus votes.
    More than double the votes of 2nd place Labour.

dissonance

he’ll double down on his voter-jettisoning pro-Brexit nonsense

I bow down to your experience with doubling down on nonsense. Binners meaningful prediction 1020

igm

A long night but so far a good night for the Brexit Now Party, but not for leave overall (on votes, not MEPs, which is what would count in a third referendum).

But a long night ahead.

kelvin

So far…

Labour running 5th in Scotland.
    Behind Plaid Cymru in Wales.
    5th in East of England.
    Behind LibDems in London.
    Give the Labour leader’s director of strategy and communications a gold star.

Interesting that Brexit Party vote is big, but less than drop in votes for UKIP & Tories from 2014. So far anyway.

chewkw
    Free Member

It looks CHUK will be defecting to Lib Dem … 🤔

mattyfez

CHUK are the kentuky mc burger King of political parties.

chewkw
    Free Member

CHUK are the kentuky mc burger King of political parties.

True true 🤔 🤣

PJM1974
    Free Member

I recommend the killfile if you wish to avoid rerunning the same conversations as we had three years ago. Also effective with 99% of non-sequiturs.

kelvin

Labour 5th in South West.

Brexit Party, again, basically had UKIP share of the vote, plus less than half of the vote share lost by the Tories. No Labour or Conservative MEPs returned at all.

Northwind

Greens don’t look to have done as well in Scotland as seemed possible… I optimistically voted for them as it seemed plausible they’d get one seat, but the SNP were very unlikely to pull 4, bit disappointed.

Still, enjoying all the comments that the current SNP position of 50% of the seats and 39% of the vote is a disaster, while the brexit party’s 15% and one is a triumph.

cookeaa

Looks like Nige has scored his desired outcome, he’s killing UKIP and hoovering up a reasonable chunk of protest votes from Lab/Con leavers…

Christ knows what that actually achieves but there you go.

The only thing I’m taking comfort from is the level of LD and Green support is that a 2nd ref would still be a nail biter for Leaverists…

sirromj

That turnout figure and 37% on BBC here is that really only 37%* of the countries voters bothered to vote on this? *me included.

slowoldman

My mind boggles that amongst our MEPs will be Ann Widdecombe and Annunziata Rees-Mogg.

chewkw
    Free Member

Looks like Nige has scored his desired outcome, he’s killing UKIP and hoovering up a reasonable chunk of protest votes from Lab/Con leavers…

Not enough but promising.

The only thing I’m taking comfort from is the level of LD and Green support is that a 2nd ref would still be a nail biter for Leaverists…

The main parties might have to join the “beauty contest” while Brexit party will be the judge … 🤣

Now dance! (not you but the main parties)

That turnout figure and 37% on BBC here is that really only 37%* of the countries voters bothered to vote on this? *me included.

Yes, very low in my view …

tomhoward

As much as it pains me that The brexit party have done so well, I am encouraged that if you add up the remain parties, they seem to be winning.

Re the turnout, I’m all for mandatory voting. The biggest issue since the war, and almost 2/3s of people can’t be arsed. That’s disgusting.

chewkw
    Free Member

As much as it pains me that The brexit party have done so well, I am encouraged that if you add up the remain parties, they seem to be winning.

Add up all the Referendum votes see what you get. 🤣

dazh

I’ll just have to share this one with you from one of the hardcore Lexiteer Corbyn nutters I know when I told him I’d voted Green.

These guys sound interesting (not in a good way BTW)! Back in the day I had a lot of fun arguing against old left Stalinists. Maybe we should organise a night in the pub? 🙂

cookeaa

The main parties might have to join the “beauty contest” while Brexit party will be the judge …

You reckon?
    This ain’t a GE, or a 2nd ref.
    It’s a supposedly “meaningless” vote where the Gammons have turned out in force to send some sort of message, still not sure what it is though.

kelvin

So far… The Brexit Party have managed to wipe out UKIP.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Big surge for LibDems, Greens and SNP, while many Labour and Conservative MEPs get the retirements that their parties promised them.

pondo

Was gonna reply but popup.

tomhoward

Was gonna reply but popup

What was that then?

cookeaa

Re the turnout, I’m all for mandatory voting. The biggest issue since the war, and almost 2/3s of people can’t be arsed. That’s disgusting

I agree with you, we should have mandatory voting, but the turnout is also an indicator of the general Brexit malaise/fatigue the country is now suffering from…

Viewing 40 posts - 67,841 through 67,880 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.