Viewing 40 posts - 67,881 through 67,920 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kelvin

Labour 5th in South East.
    7% of the vote.

the turnout is also an indicator of the general Brexit malaise/fatigue the country is now suffering from…

Or it’s just entirely normal for a non-Westminster election (sadly).

Oh, Farage gets a televised speech … no other newly elected MEP has been given that chance so far. Great.

chewkw
    Free Member

You reckon?
    This ain’t a GE, or a 2nd ref.
    It’s a supposedly “meaningless” vote where the Gammons have turned out in force to send some sort of message, still not sure what it is though.

Oh yes … come the next GE they will be trying to attract voters and they cannot afford to alienate a large number of voters if they want to be in power. 😀

Lib Dem will be the 2nd largest party in the next GE.

The question is which of the two main parties can dance well. Dance!

dazh

The Brexit Party have managed to wipe out UKIP.

And a lot of others. Just think about the fact that a party that didn’t exist a couple of months ago have now won a national election. I know you guys want to look at the lib dems and greens as a sign of hope that there is a majority for remain, but sadly these results don’t show that.

tomhoward

I enjoyed the laugh that the number of votes Stephen Yaxley Lennon received got…

colournoise

And a lot of others. Just think about the fact that a party that didn’t exist a couple of months ago have now won a national election. I know you guys want to look at the lib dems and greens as a sign of hope that there is a majority for remain, but sadly these results don’t show that.

I’m worried about what they do show. And confused. Still looks to be like a motivated section of those eligible to vote (I despair at a 37% turnout) just want to see everything burn, but not for the right reasons (IMO).

Seems we are increasingly beholden to a minority who are not voting for a better future and not voting against the mistakes of the past, but seem to be just shouting at the moon.

What weirds me out the most is that a fair few of them are potentially my generation (I’m 50 next year) and I recognise absolutely nothing of their mindset. Happy to be out of step with my peers in this case.

kelvin

The Brexit party vote share is just the UKIP share loss, plus a fair chunk of the Tory share loss. Farage of 2019 ousting Farage of 2014.

cookeaa

Oh yes … come the next GE they will be trying to attract voters and they cannot afford to alienate a large number of voters if they want to be in power. 😀

Lib Dem will be the 2nd largest party in the next GE.

The question is which of the two main parties can dance well. Dance!

Pure fantasy…

The Brexit party vote for this EU election is made up roughly 2/3rds of the existing kippers, and 1/3rd of con/lab protest voters.

I’m not sure a single issue party that’s only weeks old, and has zero policies beyond Brexit (and doesn’t seem to have particularly detailed policies or plans of their one key issue) is going to clean up at a GE.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’m not sure a single issue party that’s only weeks old, and has zero policies beyond Brexit (and doesn’t seem to have particularly detailed policies or plans of their one key issue) is going to clean up at a GE.

They will release their policies later nearer to the GE.
    Now is about Brexit.

dazh

They won’t win a GE. But they could be the balance of power or even the official opposition. Imagine Farage pulling the strings behind a Boris govt, or being one election away from being PM!

chewkw
    Free Member

They won’t win a GE. But they could be the balance of power or even the official opposition. Imagine Farage pulling the strings behind a Boris govt, or being one election away from being PM!

Even JC will dance beautifully so long as Labour will get into power.
    Lib Dem will sleep with anyone that offers them power. Imagine that! Eeeuuuwww …🤢

dazh

Even JC will dance beautifully so long as Labour will get into power.

WTF are you talking about?

Poopscoop

A personally upsetting night for me.

Living in an apparent Brexit heartland. 50 years old and very aware that much of my generation is desperate for the UK to leave the EU. At any cost. NHS…. the younger generations hopes for the future…. Just let it all burn. All so we can say we left the EU to “take back control”.

A sizable minority, well motivated to vote is pulling the UK down the rabbit hole.

I’m as annoyed at the ***** that don’t vote as much as those that vote for Brexit.

As some have said on here, the country might have to suffer a lot of pain and leave the EU in order to kill the fantasy of Brexit once and for all. What appallingly sad times we live in.

My God, how did we get here?

Oh yes, to make sure the Tory party didn’t haemorrhage power to Farage.

The irony is f****** sickening.

cookeaa

They will release their policies later nearer to the GE.
    Now is about Brexit.

There are no policies, nor will there be any… They’re the “Brexit party” FFS the clue is very much in their name.

Did you watch Widcombe’s rambling discussion with Hugh earlier? She thinks the negotiations will be reopened so the Gammons can shout their demands at Barnier…

We’re headed for a no deal crash out, led by Boris while Nige eggs him on and the possibility of a “confirmatory vote” gets shouted down for being “undemocratic” and ignoring the “will of the people”… Once Brexit is done Nige has no GE powerbroking potential, the Gammons will revert back to the tories for the GE, especially if Boris no deals it…

bigrich

whoever is picking up farages’ bill is not going to stop at this.

thank **** I have three citizenships.

chewkw
    Free Member

There are no policies, nor will there be any… They’re the “Brexit party” FFS the clue is very much in their name.

No need to hurry as there will be plenty of time for GE preparation.
    Why worry about Brexit Party having a one liner slogan?
    The main parties should be worrying about themselves with the mess they created.

Once Brexit is done Nige has no GE powerbroking potential, the Gammons will revert back to the tories for the GE, especially if Boris no deals it…

If Boris wants to become a PM for a while then he better Brexit immediately.
    Get UK out of EU bureaucratic system if they want to have peace of mind.
    Get us out quick so Nigel can enjoy a pint at the pub.

thank **** I have three citizenships.

Crikey … how did you get 3 citizenships?

bigrich

Crikey … how did you get 3 citizenships?

UK, Ireland and Australian. Filled in a lot of forms.

chewkw
    Free Member

UK, Ireland and Australian. Filled in a lot of forms.

👍 👍 👍

oldnpastit

Add together the LD, green and ChgUk votes and it comes out slightly ahead of Brexit and UKIP.

edhornby

UK: 85% counted.

Remain parties: 40.4%
    Hard Brexit parties: 34.9%
    Conservatives/Labour: 23.2%

#EP2019 #Brexit #EuropeanElections2019 #EUelections2019 https://t.co/pF4MG8SSRM

BruceWee

Depends on how you look at it. If you count Lab and Con as Leave parties then that’s a fairly solid pro-leave vote.

Meanwhile, in Scotland:

Pro-remain parties (SNP, LibDems, Green, Change) – 62%

Pro-leave parties (Brexit Party, Labour, Conservative, UKIP) – 37.5%

So almost no change from the referendum result.

oldnpastit

If you count Lab and Con as Leave parties

I think they count as rabbit-caught-in-the-headlights parties.

Best ignored for the purposes of this discussion.

theotherjonv

My God, how did we get here?

Oh yes, to make sure the Tory party didn’t haemorrhage power to Farage.

The irony is f****** sickening.

Things I take from this.

1/ the nation is sick of Brexit arguments, but not sufficiently sick to bother turning out for an indicative position taking on it. I hope that wouldn’t be the case in a 2nd referendum or GE

2/ Brexit Party have not swept the board, they’ve basically taken over UKIP’s voters and some from CON/LAB

3/ Reflecting 1, if a side should have been motivated to turn out it should have been the Brexiteers. I haven’t added up but using a bit of guess work and others numbers, in a nation of 65M, 75% of whom are voting age, there’s 49M voters. The Brexit parties got 35% of a 37% turn out = 25%. 1 in 4 of voting age in this country is pro hard brexit, and while I’ll accept they aren’t all racist gammony frothers, that scares me.

4/ Farage’s previous comments that UKIP are not a one man band look rather hollow. No matter his politics, he is a bloody good politician in terms of getting airtime and his message over, he’s probably the best at doing what he does. He’s also the best at being what he is…..but you can add your own bit to that.

5/ Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. Hahahahahahahahaha.

igm

Said this last night…

A long night but so far a good night for the Brexit Now Party, but not for leave overall (on votes, not MEPs, which is what would count in a third referendum).

Looks about right this morning.

Any Tory votes were as likely to be remain as leave, and probably similar with labour.

igm

The Brexit parties got 35% of a 37% turn out = 25%

I think you over estimate. Say 13%

epicyclo

Hmmm, I think this is an excellent time if you have get up and go, to get up and go.

Australia is a great place to be, so long as you’re not just looking for a warmer version of England. Opportunities abound, especially away from the cities.

Meanwhile in Scotland, I can see life is about to get very interesting. We’re shackled to a sinking ship*, but may be able to get our lifeboat away. The real fight is about to start.

*Sorry, I mean most Scots think it’s sinking. I realise that may not be the opinion of the majority of the passengers on the afterdeck of SS Titanic…

doomanic

Australia, hmm. At least in the U.K. the dangerous wee beasties are only trying to destroy your country and not actually kill you.

theotherjonv

@igm – yes…..my mistake

epicyclo

doomanic

Australia, hmm. At least in the U.K. the dangerous wee beasties are only trying to destroy your country and not actually kill you.

Nature culls idiots in Oz.

Generally you have to be pretty stupid to get killed by our dangerous wee beasties.

The only active predator on humans is the crocodile, and you have to be denser than stupid to get taken by one of them.

Otherwise you have to be extremely unlucky (as the death stats show).

BruceWee

I think if your aim is to get away from racists trying to destroy their own country then maybe Australia is not the best choice.

epicyclo

Now the big question will be how many were turned away from the voting booths. I wonder if it would have made a significant difference.

johnners
    Free Member

Now the big question will be how many were turned away from the voting booths. I wonder if it would have made a significant difference.

I’d like to see some numbers but it’s extremely unlikely to have made a material difference, given it wasn’t FPTP. I think it was down to incompetence rather than malice, the malice came later when the “will of the people” contingent cheered it.

And I don’t know what was so funny about Yaxley-Lennon’s result, tens of thousands of people voted for him FFS.

vinnyeh

Has anyone seen figures with London and/or Scotland stripped out?

I have a feeling that were it not for the moderating influence of the capital the majority vote from the rest of the country  would be pro-Brexit- correct?

nickc

Hmm strong voting for parties that clearly defined their stance on Brexit. Both remain and leave. few things

1, this will encourage the next Tory PM to be  a strong brexiteer.

2. Labour need to reconsider their campaign of a GE to decide. They need to become a Remain party.

3. this will make a compromise in Parliament even more difficult

Edukator
    Free Member

My way of working out the Brexit vote is:

All of Brexit
    All of UKIP
    1/3 of Labour
    1/2 of conservative

On that basis the result is not so very different from the referendum. The low turnout is the most disappointing part. You’d have thought remainers would have got out to vote ofr anyone clearly remain. They haven’t which leads me to suspect that the apathetic majority of 63% is happy to go along with Brexit.

The main problem it seems is that most people couldn’t give a ****.

NZCol

It saddens me that for the first time in my life i’ve actually thought that Scotland leaving the UK Is a good idea. Jesus. F*** this I’m off back to NZ

Drac

The NE Brexit Party MEP from Scotland will be celebrating at home in France today. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ferrals
    Free Member

Scotland hasn’t been returned yet, nor has NI, when they have I imagine the percentage numbers will be more pro remain, but it will be very close still

boxelder

The main problem it seems is that most people couldn’t give a ****

They need a celebrity leader to get them motivated – someone like Joe Swash or Rachel Riley. Sadly, celebrity informs public opinion for too many.

scotroutes

Scotland hasn’t been returned yet

Only the Western Isles results to come in and there’s not enough to change any of the figures significantly. Probably less than 5,000 votes in total.

igm

Faragists 2.0 up by 31.6% but Faragists 1.0 down by 24.2% – net swing 7.4%

Meanwhile LDs, Greens and ChUK up by 21% combined. Plus another 1.4% if you include the Scots and Welsh nationalists.

So a more polarised result than last time, but characterised by the remain vote starting to copy the leave vote and walking away from Labour and Tories.

On seats, Leavers gained 5, but remainers gained 18.

A great night for Farage, but not leave.
    Also a great night for remain, but not for any one remain party.

A series of remain alliances could easily spell the end of Brexit – but can they organise?

(Note – pre the last couple of declarations – but I doubt they’ll change the flavour of the evening much)

Viewing 40 posts - 67,881 through 67,920 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.