Viewing 40 posts - 67,361 through 67,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • franksinatra

If they (Labour) have played this well, they should be gaining votes against the Tories with each day that passes

In a time of political turmoil, this is the most staggering thing. Whilst Tories are completely imploding, Labour have failed to capitalise and gain against them. They are missing a wide open goal and it is really remarkable how much they are ballsing it up.

binners

The labour party just needs it pointing out that when someone said ‘never interrupt your enemy while they’re making a mistake’ they didn’t actually mean for 3 whole years

dazh

They are missing a wide open goal and it is really remarkable how much they are ballsing it up.

We all know full well that brexit has upended ‘normal’ party politics. It’s been just as damaging to labour as the tories. So given this undeniable fact, why do you judge them by ‘normal’ political criteria? Describing brexit as an ‘open goal’ for the labout party is stupid.

kerley
    Free Member

Describing brexit as an ‘open goal’ for the labout party is stupid.

If I was leader of Labour and looking at the polls I would back a 2nd Ref and my polling would go up 10 points. I would have no control over there ever being a 2nd ref but who cares, I can back it and increase my polling in one easy step. That could be described as an open goal.

binners

We all know full well that brexit has upended ‘normal’ party politics. It’s been just as damaging to labour as the tories.

Only because of the utterly inept and totally nonsensical manner in which the Brexiteer party leadership has dealt wit it. As has been pointed out to you countless times the partys membership, voters and MP’s are overwhelmingly pro-remain. Given that the nutter leavers who are all going to vote for Farage are defecting from the Tory party, not labour, and labour party voters are deserting to the Lib Dems and Greens in droves, the reason its in this pitiful electoral situation is because its led* by clueless idiots who have totally misjudged the public mood, and can’t overcome their 1970’s, dinosaur knee-jerk attitude to the EU

* The word ‘led’ is used figuratively in this instance and does not imply any actual eadership

grimep
    Free Member

British Steel about to go bust after borrowing £100m from the government to pay an EU carbon bill.
    I guess Scunthorpe is largely ‘out’ then

binners

from the BBC – British Steel on verge of administration

British Steel’s troubles have been linked to a slump in orders from European customers ‎due to uncertainty over the Brexit process.

The firm has also been struggling with the weakness of the pound since the EU referendum in June 2016 and the escalating trade US-China trade war.

Yay for Brexit! Double yay for Taking Back Control!!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I wouldn’t blame the EU, it’s an outdated industry anyway. They need to find more efficient cleaner methods of production and cut the need for steel.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Can_Concrete_and_Steel_Ever_be_Carbon_Neutral%3F

mickyfinn
    Free Member

British Steel about to go bust after borrowing £100m from the government to pay an EU carbon bill.

That bill was a few months ago and is not related (Well it may be indirectly) to today’s news.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Ah, I remember this one. It’s a corker.

More evidence of Europe deliberately favouring furen imports – luckily the shBritsh Tory Clownament stepped in and ensured the Scunthorpe Brexiters were protected from (even more) punitive “anti free trade” tariffs, and thereby ensure the good people of Scuthorpe have more “free” time.

Linky.

alpin
    Free Member

Pindex series with Stephen Fry about Brexit should be pushed a bit more.

Nice, simple graphs, easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDg_EVBPyUmKrR54mp9Wjyw

kimbers

grimep

the ignorance in this comment is just superb

British Steel can no longer trade carbon credits due to Brexit, so they have to pay the fine instead

@grimep
    if you voted for Brexit, you contributed to this!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

British Steel can no longer trade carbon credits due to Brexit, so they have to pay the fine instead

HAH!

But…..

Fake news, project fear! Sad.

grimep
    Free Member

the ignorance in this comment is just superb

@grimep
    if you voted for Brexit, you contributed to this!

The EU’s refusal to do a deal over carbon credit trading due to brexit is the cause of the problem. Carbon credit trading is a complete nonsense anyway.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The EU’s refusal to do a deal over carbon credit trading due to brexit is the cause of the problem. Carbon credit trading is a complete nonsense anyway.

No mate, it’s the British publics fault knowing full well leaving would damage the economy.

This is what happens when, as a competitor, you try to negotiate with a trading block 10 times bigger than you.

It is well within the EUs right to make sure that they have every and any competitive advantage over us now.

grimep
    Free Member

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No, it:s the basic rules of international trade. Little fishies get exploited, big fishies do the exploiting. It:s a competitive game and we decided to play it alone. Don’t expect handouts or other countries to give your nation any quarter within the confines of the law.

See American foreign policy for further reference.

bikebouy
    Free Member

So, how long before this “40th time” revisited “plan” of Maybots gets booted out of Parliament then?

30mins?

50mins?

or a day to allow MPs to fill in expenses claim forms..?

willard

grimep Member

Harsh man, harsh. As I look out over the skyline of this fair city you mention, I see nothing there that wishes the UK ill.

This does not stop my workmates taking the piss heavily for what my former countrymen (and women) are doing to themselves and the rest of the country.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I see nothing there that wishes the UK ill.

Yup, it’s just that all is fair in trade and war. If the UK doesn’t want to play the game by the others rules? Then it can, without malice, **** off and deal with the consequences.

My fellow Brits thought because they were British and therefore awesome, that there wouldn’t be any consequence. And it seems as though they are surprised and angry that there will actually be economic ramifications.

kimbers

Must be Stockholm syndrome because I distinctly remember being told that they day after the vote we’d hold all the cards 😂😂😂

chewkw
    Free Member

Slight hijack.

It seems that anti-EU sentiment is now extending to Italian food

No, no, no, nooo ….
    For these reasons:
    1. The food tasted shite.
    2. Expensive
    3. Give a bad name to Italian food.
    4. Not even the remainers can support him.
    5. Food tasted shite … shite!

For £35 (food and drink) I can have the Best fish & Chips or curry in this world yet still cheaper than eating there.🤣

binners

Apparently the entire cabinet has this morning signed up to the Maybot’s latest ‘bold, new’ withdrawal bill.

So expect half of them to resign before it makes it into parliament in order to vote against it. The first will probably be gone by close of play today. I’m going Andrea Leadson as part of her latest leadership bid

scud
    Free Member

Someone put on Facebook

“There are 3 economic superpowers, the US, China and the EU, they are 57% of the global GDP.

The UK is 2%

That is like Rolla Cola trying to dictate terms to Coke and Pepsi…”

MSP

grimep Member

Sounds like you don’t understand what a negotiation is. If carbon trading is important to the UK, we need to offer them something to entice them to include it in the deal.

The problem is simpletons like you believed the bullshit that they need us more than we need them ect. But when the negotiations actually started, that fallacy got blown out of the water. Unfortunatly you and your dumb cronies still haven’t grasped reality and are dragging the country down with your fake patriotism, while your leaders (Farage and Boris) are selling you out to foreign interests (Bannons alt right network) while Putin laughs as you enable the push back of co-operation and freedom. Well done for destroying our country.

sobriety
    Free Member

An then they wonder why everyone who actually thought critically rather than swallowing the bullshit is royally pissed off with them.

Cougar

I wonder what the brexshit party policy is on Scots independence?

They have policies now? When did that happen?

Meanwhile, in Liverpool, Waxy-Lemon’s acolytes are doing well:

https://www.indy100.com/article/james-goddard-liverpool-yellow-vest-video-european-elections-scousers-watch-8921691

Cougar

But when the negotiations actually started, that fallacy got blown out of the water.

BUT WHY ARE THEY PUNISHING US?!

willard

It’s bigger than that though MSP. International trade is so complex and so intertwined with local, regional and international politics now that understanding it is just too complex for anyone that has not got significant experience of it.

People who do not have that experience just don’t stand a chance of understanding what is happening, so when someone that is allegedly responsible or trusted throws them an oversimplified version, it gets taken to heart, believed and people feel betrayed when it turns out not to be right.

People hate being fooled, more so when the fooling is so big. Do you think half of what we are seeing now is embarrassment, people digging in behind the mistruths to try and avoid looking the fool?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

People who do not have that experience just don’t stand a chance of understanding what is happening, so when someone that is allegedly responsible or trusted throws them an oversimplified version, it gets taken to heart, believed and people feel betrayed when it turns out not to be right

But they don’t even know or accept what they don’t know. People who aren’t capable of understanding don’t need to be made to understand, all they need to do is accept they don’t understand. Instead of believing that their simplistic, delusional belief systems and ignorant opinions will solve all of their ills.

People who do not have that experience just don’t stand a chance of understanding what is happening, so when someone that is allegedly responsible or trusted throws them an oversimplified version, it gets taken to heart, believed and people feel betrayed when it turns out not to be right

No I just think they are **** thick and lack any intellectual self awareness. Blaming others always appeals to these people.

willard

And that means losing face. I see that every day to some extent, people bullshit or bluster, or don’t reply to e-mail or calls, because they don’t know or are embarrassed to admit they made a mistake. Sometimes it’s something really small too, but the reaction is the same.

Apply that to a nation and suddenly 52% of the population are collectively either too embarrassed to admit in the face of mounting evidence that they made a mistake, or genuinely believe that the UK will be better off outside our biggest trading partner.

I have said this for many years; the EU is not without its faults, but there is no chance of changing it from the outside as a minor player and sending asshats like Farage to represent us is doubling down on stupidity. The only way you can effect change is to form consensus with other parties and work within the system. Doing what Farage does just makes the whole country look like a ****

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Yes, but again, with thickies – especially British ones – you are either right or wrong, winner or loser, good or bad, evil or just etc etc. There’s no room for consensus with these people, that’s why they failed to establish a process for change reflecting British interest within the EU…they voted for tits like Farage.

willard

Oh yes, I forgot to add, if you voted for the toad-faced asshole because you thought sending him to the EU would be a laugh, you deserve everything you get.

This is not some sort of game, it’s not something that should be joked about, it’s about a country’s relationship with its closest and biggest trading partners. It’s about the security of a nation, a trading block and a world and the prosperity and safety of the people in it.

That alone deserve the effort of the best people the UK can afford to send there with the best interests of the country and the population at heart, not people that are in the pocket of oligarchs or industry or care more than anything about a fscking political party.

binners

Radio 4 have just been interviewing a selection of Brexity Fargaists in Scunthorpe. The levels of ignorance are truly terrifying. They clearly just accept, unquestioningly, all the anti-EU bullshit they’re being fed.

On the day that the biggest employer is probably closing down, decimating the local economy they’re crying out for no deal, one said “so that the money and jobs can return to the area”

Seriously… WTF?!!

You really couldn’t make it up. The area voted 65%+ to leave. In the past I’ve always found the attitude ‘they deserve everything they get’ to be quite harsh, but nowadays…..

Pity they have to take the rest of us down with them

The man-frogs policy free ‘party’ are going to absolutely walk these elections

God help us! As both main parties will inevitably take it as a sign of the ‘need to deliver Brexit’ on harder and harder, no deal terms. We really are screwed, aren’t we?

mrchrispy

yes 🙁

mattyfez

People doing sociology and political degrees will be writing essays on this car crash for decades, if not centuries to come.

There’s just so much material to chose from.

koldun
    Free Member

We really are screwed, aren’t we?

Yep and we are supposed to be polite and understanding to the 52% (though they have no such constraint) that got us into this mess…

kelvin

You need to try far harder to be polite and understanding… if we are to end up with ANYTHING at all to help us work with the rest of Europe and the rest of the world (and that ranges from keeping EU membership to a long transition period and cooperation drawing up new agreements) we will need a big chunk of those who voted Leave in 2016 to get involved, not just sit back and let Farage, Boris & Corbyn to **** us over for their own narrow political interests.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Nope, it needs to go so badly wrong that they can’t deny their stupidity.

The time for politeness died a long time ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 67,361 through 67,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.