Viewing 40 posts - 59,801 through 59,840 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mefty
    Free Member

Tagesschau24 have just flashed up .2% growth and -.5% industrial production with a picture of a broken union flag and suitably negative commentary.

Whilst German growth for the same quarter was 0.1% and industrial production fell 0.4%, which is the fourth month in a row of decline.

kelvin

Well when you start a debate with ‘I am told….’

You are one and half thousand pages late for the start of the debate on here (and you need to go back to the 70s if we’re talking about debating what Corbyn and his immediate team are up to now).

Edukator
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

Eurozone Verus GDP growth shows a different picture

UK growth isn’t great but neither is it in any of the major EU countries, for what they are worth EU forecasts for 2019 growth are:

Eurozone, France and UK 1.3%
    Germany 1.1%

Edukator
    Free Member

It shows the same as far as I can see. The UK going from out performing to under performing – and it still hasn’t hapened yet.

mefty
    Free Member

G7 figures include US which is showing far stronger growth than Europe at the moment, also include Japan which is more of a mixed bag.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

are there any actual indicators that the UK growth will increase? Or the quantification of the early results from this year?
    Certainly I’ve seen quite a few people pushing for orders to be delivered before March and an increase in stock being taken on which could look like growth and then fall flat next FY.

And more and more the question what will this cost us in April? Never good to have to say we have no idea.

kelvin

I wonder what might have happened in the year since the data in those graphs… and what about the year upcoming? Anything about to happen that might put us even further behind?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dear Sirs,

Please can I have my ball back, you don’t want to play nor include me and I feel justified by asking for my ball back.

Thank you.

T May

mefty
    Free Member

I wonder what might have happened in the year since the data in those graphs

UK growth has been slightly better than the Eurozone, UK has matched forecasts, Eurozone has under performed forecasts.

kelvin

‘Matched forecasts’ meaning matching the lower forecasts made since we decided to Leave the EU? “It’s okay… it’s not going any worse than we were warned fellas… full steam ahead!”

Edukator
    Free Member

Interesting that Mefty should now insist on comparing the UK (world’s fifith biggest economy) with the Eurozone basket, which contains some weak economies, rather than its G7 peers. How long before you are comparing the UK with Greece to try and flatter the UK figures, Mefty?

kimbers

Dont forget the new Tory Slogan is

F–K Business

its all part of taking back control (by turning government into a farce as they pursue the Tory dream of Brexit)

mefty
    Free Member

Matched lower forecasts yes, but the fact that the Eurozone under performed suggests that there are other factors leading to reduced growth.

The major economies in the Eurozone dominant the Eurozone figures, if anything the Eurozone figures flatter the major economies as the smaller economies did well in 2018 on the whole. But in the context of a debate about membership of the EU, a comparison to those economies seems most apposite. Germany’s growth was 1.5% slightly ahead of the UK for the whole year, but Germany slowed quite rapidly towards the end of the year, hence the low forecast for 2019. France was a bit behind at 0.9%.

slowoldman

Germany’s growth was 1.5% slightly ahead of the UK for the whole year, but Germany slowed quite rapidly towards the end of the year, hence the low forecast for 2019.

That sounds a bit like the way my VW trip computer “forecasts” range remaining.

dissonance

its all part of taking back control

and taking on the rest of the world if Williamson has any say in the matter.
    He seems to be harking back to the days of gunboat diplomacy.

kimbers

Gammon williamsons latest efforts at playing to the daily mail, is brilliantly summed up here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/11/gavin-williamson-defence-policy-uk

Williamson’s speech reads like the pompous rantings of a 1950s Tory on the make. It cannot conceivably have been cleared with colleagues, let alone the Treasury. It is best forgotten.

fadda

I liked:

What on earth is Williamson talking about – apart from a desire to be Tory leader?

richmtb

The really scary thing is Williamson probably only just sneaks in to the top 5 of stupid cabinet members

kelvin
    AD

I’m now looking very much forward to magic Grandpa’s followers saying how that wasn’t really what he meant…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I love all these clips of footage being described as “unearthed” like they’re well hidden. My guess is that there’s one a week for the whole of the transition period.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m now looking very much forward to magic Grandpa’s followers saying how that wasn’t really what he meant…

Same as the arch remainer PM we have, at this point even digging up old clips of JC is pointless to the debate. I know some will be off to have a little shuffle over it but what’s the actual point. He can’t whip his MP’s to do things they don’t want to do, just as May can’t whip her’s. Neither of them can deliver anything and their chosen path is impossible.

AD

Anyway back to more ‘great’ Brexit news – Mefty – I’m relying on you to put a positive spin on this – https://news.sky.com/story/government-to-miss-brexit-trade-deal-target-11634661

dannyh
    Free Member

Slightly off-topic but note that even though (another dimwit) Amber Rudd has acknowledged (admitted) that the rollout of Universal Credit has directly led to an increase in people going to food banks, SHE STILL DIDNT ACTUALLY APOLOGISE!

I strongly suspect the reason for this is that she knows that a lot of Tory support is actually cheering this.

We’ve got to get rid of these buggers once and for all.

dannyh
    Free Member

The really scary thing is Williamson probably only just sneaks in to the top 5 of stupid cabinet members

He’s up against some pretty stiff competition.

Aircraft carrier against relatively modern military with cruise missiles, Exocet type air to ship and decent subs? No, ta very much. On the bottom within an hour.

dudeofdoom

A 20 per cent drop in the value of the pound might not be “such a bad thing”, David Davis has claimed as he called for a tax-cutting no-deal budget.

Good grief Charlie Brown……

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A 20 per cent drop in the value of the pound might not be “such a bad thing”, David Davis has claimed as he called for a tax-cutting no-deal budget.

Let me check on our Iron ore reserves, or aluminium, or heaps of the other stuff we import in order to try and generate some GDP….

a 20% drop in the £ would be good if you have moved your funds off shore

binners

Not so long ago that level of economic illiteracy in a senior politician would have been staggering

Nowadays? Just another day in Brexitland

slowoldman

Well with Grayling’s latest brilliant effort, Davis has to try something to get back above him in the “thicko” charts.

kimbers

read 2 depressing articles today

made me think more than ever that we might actually crash out with no deal

& the swivel eyed tories will just keep blaming everyone but themselves & millions of leave voters will agree

Most MPs tell me they believe a no-deal Brexit is a remote prospect.They are wrong.I would argue it is the most…

Posted by Robert Peston on Monday, February 11, 2019

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-no-deal-brexit-fallback-plan_uk_5c617348e4b0910c63f30fc8

Sandwich

This was on twitter earlier and gave me a laugh. Laughs are needed as we hurtle towards the cliff with the controllers arguing about what what speed we should aim to go over the top.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Switzerland
    Chile
    The Faroe Islands
    Eastern and Southern Africa

Splendid

theotherjonv

Your favourite government department (yes, him again) is apparently being sued for conducting the procurement process for the ferry contract shenanigans in secret. And we know how well that went.

Eurotunnel claim they weren’t given the chance to bid for contracts (or I assume parts of contracts seeing as it was split 3 ways in the end); Fayling says it was because he knew they didn’t have the capacity and it was for maritime carriers only.

Q1 Wouldn’t you speak to the largest freight carrier in this area and see what they can do to flex their capacity – maybe they couldn’t do it all but every bit would be useful.

Q2 How much capacity is provided by no ships?

I said at the time it was weasel words – along the lies of ‘we’ve conducted due diligence and there’s nothing that would preclude Seaborne from participating in a contract with the government’.  (So could I, I don’t have a criminal record / been disbarred from running a company, etc. I can’t run freight for them though….)  Now I wonder if the procurement process was even fishier.

kimbers

mickmcd
    Switzerland
    Chile
    The Faroe Islands
    Eastern and Southern Africa

Splendid

These are just rollover deals too, I thought the point was we’d negotiate amazeballs new trade deals that’d wee all over what we’d done before….?

spekkie
    Free Member

The promise of amazing trade deals . . . .

It’s like we’ve gone to conquer a foreign land somewhere and, to our surprise, found that they are all carrying machine guns when we thought they would be carrying spears.

kelvin

How will we drive our goods to Switzerland? Isn’t it surrounded by EU countries?

mickmcd
    Free Member

How will we drive our goods to Switzerland? Isn’t it surrounded by EU countries?

Ah obviously the Berlin airlift again innit

mickmcd
    Free Member

Next month’s we will take back control of india

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks like T-Maybot is set to step down in the summer.

Dear Sirs,

I failed.

Bye, bye.

T May

Viewing 40 posts - 59,801 through 59,840 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.