Viewing 40 posts - 47,241 through 47,280 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • bigrich

when people put a cross next to ‘do you want to leave the EU? – yes’ box means they want to leave the EU; just because it’s a colossally, monumentally stupid idea, you have to respect the result and leave the EU.

it was a binary question with a binary outcome.

what a shitshow.

oldnpastit

Kelvin

May signs an exit deal after Xmas, which includes transition period, and a signed off Ireland back stop… using brinkmanship to get it through her party.

I think May has just shown that she doesn’t do brinkmanship. So I’m not sure where that leaves us – heading for a hard “no deal” Brexit almost certainly.

I’m slowly trying to move all my pensions and savings out of anything UK based.

cchris2lou

Another minister goes and May gives more towards hard Brexit.

And today she might have to give to the other side.

This is becoming a proper mess ?!

martinhutch

This is becoming a proper mess ?!

Becoming?

kimbers

France  bought 17 acres of land at Calais & 100s of new staff for customs checks.

May folding to the ERG nutters & then shutting parliament 4 days early, just shows that the grown ups no longer in charge

thecaptain
    Free Member

Where is THM when you need some reassurance that it’s all going swimmingly?

binners

Its total and utter chaos! But then when you look at the lunatics who are presently holding May (and by proxy, the rest of us) to ransom, its hardly a surprise, is it?

They’re free-market fundamentalists. Zealots! They’re the parliamentary equivalent of the most hardline ISIS suicide bomber. Creationists absolutely convinced that their vision is correct, despite all evidence to the contrary

There is no reasoning with these people. There is nothing at all that is too important to be sacrificed at the alter of their unquestioning and totally irrational belief.

Jobs? The stability of a continent? Business? A nations economy? The Union? The peace in Northern Ireland?

All totally expendable!

The only positive I can see in yesterdays parliamentary anarchy is that the Remainers can now see the true extent of the damage these headbangers are prepared to inflict on us all. Anna Sourby was bang on in her rant at them yesterday, and I’m sure vocalised what a lot of us think of them.

I hope this is a sign that they’re now going to finally grow a pair and take them on at their own game. That more rational people (who are in a parliamentary majority) start to stand up and make their voices heard too. They’ve allowed themselves to be cowed for too long by the RW press and their Will of the People bollocks

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/17/dover-calais-facing-economic-catastrophe-due-to-brexit

Thie is nuts, abasaloutely nuts. It won’t just be food we’ll be short on, but cold chain medicines as well – as QPs will invariably end up having to bin batches due to irregularities in transport.

Politicians don’t get ut do they, because PPE from Oxford doesn’t qualify you to make decisions about logistics.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Redundancy notice covering letter templates

“You voted for this so **** off and sign on”

“You didn’t vote for this **** off and sign on”

cchris2lou

And what will happen in Calais is EU money to build infrastructures and employ people which will benefit the area in the long term whilst Dover and the UK loose out.

igm

Calais will have a big old port and reside in a country with trade deals with lots of places (including Japan now I hear).

Dover will have a big old port and resides in a country which has very few trade deals but is intending to do some over the next few years.

Now both those ports will need investment to move from cross channel ferry handling to long distance freight, but one will have the bonus of EU investment.

I wonder which will do better. Could be either, but if I were a betting man I wouldn’t back Dover.

All this is of course at the margins, no one is saying there’ll never be another cross channel ferry, but margins and emphasis matter.

cchris2lou

Biggest free trade deals between Europe and Japan today.

No wonder the Japanese car manufacturers are worried of a hard Brexit.

thepodge
    Free Member

I thought the Japanese / Toyota signed a deal the week after Brexit or something.

I imagine it says “to save you looking like a useless bunch of idiots, we’ll stay in the UK but we’re not paying any additional taxes that arise, you’re paying that”.

igm

Japanese car manufacturers will now find it much easier to migrate new models to the EU and avoid all tariffs for the EU market.

Sunderland has a problem.

And Derby I suspect.

The European Union and Japan concluded negotiations on a free trade deal that will remove EU tariffs of 10 percent on imported Japanese cars and the 3 percent rate typically applied to car parts.

molgrips
    Free Member

So those people who keep referring to the third referendum – are you suggesting that the GE was equivalent to a referendum?

zippykona

We had a referendum in the 70s to see if we wanted to stay in the common market.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I think May has just shown that she doesn’t do brinkmanship. So I’m not sure where that leaves us – heading for a hard “no deal” Brexit almost certainly.

Heading for government falling apart. The soft brexit/remain MPs are getting a backbone and starting to rebel. They know that they can’t trust anything the PM says because she won’t stand up to Rees-Mogg and co. That’s twice now she’s agreed something and then done a u-turn.

theotherjonv

She’s shown she can be bullied, so the remainers / ‘soft’ brexiteers have the choice – join in with their own threats to stop her caving in further to the hardliners, or stand and watch as bit by bit JRM and Little Bo **** get their way.

Either way, I suspect that time is nearly up.

stumpyjon

The best bit with all this is we still haven’t heard what the EU think of the Chequers deal, my guess is their response will be a simple and emphatic ‘Non’.

I think we’re down to two options really, No Deal Brexit or stay in. I think the ship for a deal good for both parties has long since sailed (or been comprehensible torpedoed by JRM and BOJO as part of their scorched earth approach).

cornholio98
    Free Member

Redundancy notice covering letter templates

“You voted for this so **** off and sign on”

“You didn’t vote for this **** off and sign on”

There red will be no signing on as there will be no money left to pay out… zero hours contracts for everyone

thepurist

I think we’re down to two options really, No Deal Brexit or stay in

There is a third option – kick the can down the road (as if!) and extend the A50 deadline.  Given the choice between the no deal scenario and ongoing negotiation (and thereby UK membership) I reckon the 27 would go for the extension.  If we’re facing a no deal exit then deferring the cliff edge is the last resort of the non-hardline majority, but it’d probably be political suicide for May and solves none of the issues that have stopped meaningful progress over the last 2 years.  We’d possibly end up with a split of the Tory party, a Momentum power grab in Labour, a general election and a completely hung/paralysed parliament – good eh.

cornholio98
    Free Member

I reckon the 27 would go for the extension.

How long would we need to resolve the competing desires of a population split roughly 50:50 to completely opposite views who are getting more entrenched?

How much money, time and effort are they going to waste to continue the charade? Also if it drags on a bit more and there is a GE in the UK or elections for the main players in the EU the mess gets worse. It is possible that you could get election campaigns in the EU based on forcing a no deal… or even in the UK…

i think they they just want something down on paper to start the transition. Once that starts it can be refined

kelvin

Still think May will be kept in ’till after we’ve “left”, and only after we’ve left will the true nature of our future relationship with EU be decided, and only then after multiple leadership battles, a general election, and another referendum. Years of chaos ahead… but it won’t stop, or delay us leaving*.

Obviously, I hope that I’m wrong.

[ *by leaving, I mean no longer being members … we might well never leave the SM & CU, and if we do, it’ll be long after May has gone ]

kimbers

trouble is looking at the length of time big IT projects take the government to implemenet that something thats put in place for the transition, may well overrun by so long that the necessary implementation phase wont be over before another GE brings in a totally different plan… throwing business into limbo again.

The brexiters obviously think that the EU will blink at the last minute.

If it does go to a no deal will Toyota/Nissan etc sue the government for breaking Mays pledge she made at the start?

either way I get the feeling that its going to get to the stage of legal disputes

kelvin

i think they they just want something down on paper to start the transition. Once that starts it can be refined

This.

As long as we sign the Ireland back stop in blood, we’ll go into transition with no future relationship clearly spelt out. From the EU side, they then hold ALL the cards (rather than most of the cards).

kelvin

throwing business into limbo again.

Business will never get “clarity” now, at least not in the next five years, unless Brexit is cancelled. That is becoming clear to all.

cornholio98
    Free Member

For whatever reason the Tory party decided to go this route alone. If May had wanted to she could have included brexiteers or remainers from all parties. Labour could not abstain with skin in the game and would be forced to declare their position…

She would then not be held up by the DUP to do what is probably required and have a border in the Irish Sea.

You never know maybe the Queen will step in a tell them to form a national government to try and work together to fix this epic fail 1930s style…

Leku
    Free Member

Anyone know when the vote on the Customs Union Amendment is? This would mean we stay/join in a customs union if no deal reached.

I wonder if Mogg has in fact caused this. Tory Remainers have realised playing nice doesn’t work..

kelvin

The Labour one was defeated. The Tory rebel one expected about 5pm. That’ll be defeated as well… Labour rebels will outnumber Tory ones.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Aren’t all these votes and debates the wrong way round?

Should we not have discussed a wide range of options with the EU and then be voting on which one to fully hash out?

Or is all this fuss just to clarify our starting position?

at the moment it feels like Parliament think that they are negotiating but have failed to invite half the party… wasted effort, money and noise to just stand still ffs

nedrapier

Should we not have discussed a wide range of options with the EU and then voted in a referendum on the best one or two versus staying in?

That sounds very sensible.

kelvin

Or at least picked one before triggering A50.

tick

tock

Flaperon

Should we not have discussed a wide range of options with the EU and then voted in a referendum on the best one or two versus staying in?

That sounds very sensible.

Burn the heretic.

Leku
    Free Member

Should we not have discussed a wide range of options with the EU

We did. Unfortunately they mostly involved unicorns and cake.

Labour backing union amendment with result about 6.30. Looks close.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/jul/17/brexit-trade-bill-vote-referendum-result-branded-dodgier-than-ever-after-vote-leave-found-to-have-broken-election-spending-law-politics-live

cornholio98
    Free Member

If the bill is defeated/not approved does this mean it gets kicked back and re drafted for another vote?

Then it gets voted on later/next week if parliament is still in session? What if it is rejected and then the parliament rise? Would there then be no mandate for any negotiations until September?

Leku
    Free Member

This is the Commons not the Lords. If it wins, it become law.

(I’m quite happy for someone who understands it better to correct me).

cornholio98
    Free Member

As I understand it this is the mandate/position for the negotiations.

Ok, if it is approved it is law. What happens if it is rejected?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Actually after more reading it seems it will either be amended or accepted with each section/ amendment voted on

so either way something will come out today

shooterman

Interesting line of commentary on Radio 4 PM this evening.

There are clear majorities in the Commons against various options but no clear majority in favour of any particular option. This raises the possibility that Parliament will simply not be able to agree a Brexit plan leaving the only option as putting the matter to the people in another referendum.

Reporter commenting that a second referendum now more likely than ever before in the face of a Parliament that simply cannot agree on how the UK is to leave the EU.

Oh the delicious irony of JRM forcing a second referendum through his wrecking tactics

Viewing 40 posts - 47,241 through 47,280 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.