Viewing 40 posts - 40,081 through 40,120 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Some reasonable points, some brown nosing and some alt facts mefty.
    I have ever made a comment that was sexist when I insult May and I am sure you would be all over me, rightly so , if I did

ninfan
    Free Member

Personally i want exactly what was promised, an advisory referendum leading to a period of discussion where some facts could be presented.

Who promised that?

tjagain

THM doesn’t dislike the Scottish, he is rather complimentary about them for rejecting independence, I am not sure he has a great deal of time for Scottish Nationalists but he says no worse about them than people say about Tories on here.

funny way of showing it with continual sneering and posting of racist comments. He might like the Brigadoon image but the real Scotland – he actively hates it from his posting because we reject his political philosophy. classic hatred of the uppity scots who don’t know their place.

tjagain

Re: the cartoon, I am somewhat surprised that people who were upset by “watermelon” smile are comfortable with the portrayal of Africans in that cartoon, but then they are probably comfortable with the portrayal of Jewish people with hooked noses.

As I said I see the lips as a bit dubious but not actively racist. The Watermelon thing is denigratory. I am willing to listen to opinion. Is that what you see as racist? the big lips?

kimbers

Good link cougar, the brexies still ranting about betrayal by May & co and how sunlit uplands are just around the corner are making me all stereotypical about leavers again tho, I really shouldn’t engage with them!

ninfan
    Free Member

continual sneering and posting of racist comments. He might like the Brigadoon image but the real Scotland – he actively hates it from his posting because we reject his political philosophy. classic hatred of the uppity scots who don’t know their place.

I thought you couldn’t see his posts because you had killfiled him?

Cougar

THM doesn’t dislike the Scottish

funny way of showing it with continual sneering

To be fair TJ, I think you’re being oversensitive here.

THM sneers at everyone who doesn’t agree with him. And that’s a broad church.

Speeder

Cougar – Moderator
    This is worth a read, I think. For both sides of the camp.

https://orderofthecoif.wordpress.com/2017/12/10/irrelevant-england-and-the-thick-brexiteer/

A very enlightening article there Cougar. Doesn’t change my attitude to “Brexit” – (god I hate that word) but does make we wish that we had some politicians who could put the case so eloquently instead of spouting jingoistic bollox in the hope of furthering their career.

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps he has a memory and people quote the outrageous posters trolly posters on here so its easy to see who is saying what

Poopscoop

mikewsmith

an advisory referendum leading to a period of discussion where some facts could be presented. Add in the opportunity to review progress or lack of and the state of the deal before rejecting or accepting it with the final option to remain in the eu. That is not undemocratic.

All the above is entirely logical and would truly do something to bring a bit of unity to which ever path we head in.

I suspect it’s so obvious that the very idea of it will be dismissed out of hand by politicians in the main.

For now anyway…

Edukator
    Free Member

No election has ever been won by one vote in either Britain or France. I went through piles of documents in a university library to confirm that about 35 years ago and I don’t think it’s changed. A difference of three votes was the closest if I recall correctly.

So objectively the odds of your vote making a difference are tiny. However, in France I consider the ability to vote is a right I value and voting a duty, for me at least. Perhaps it’s part of French culture where citizens’ “droits et devoirs” are notions central to republican values. There’s a feelng of being a part of a system rather than a pawn in it.

I travel on a French passport because if ever I get myself in a mess I have the utmost confidence in my fellow citizens from the local baker to President doing their utmost to help. Boris and the British ruling elite are more likely to get me deeper into trouble by telling the foreigners I’m a journalist (and therefore probably a spy) or simply leaving me to rot unless Amnesty can do something.

Despite baing a British citizen with no criminal record I have no vote. The Brexiters have also been doing their level best to wipe out my ability to claim a UK pension based on al the contribution I’ve made in Europe should I ever choose to retire in England (unlikely :wink:). Real issues that concern me directly and I have no vote.

Junkyard
    Free Member

And that’s a broad church.

NNNNNNOOOOOOO it’s more of that STW anti religious bias from the mods again 😉

PS good joke

tjagain

Fair point cougar. Its a nastier tone to me tho than the rest of his sneering unless he has changed his tune or got worse on other threads. He sneers at the scots as a people. He did get banned for racist posts relating to scots

Ninfan – from the scots referendum debate and from people quoting his posts

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks Mefty. I made my case for remaining here regularly.

Cougar – I do try to keep up with your example. But you set a high standard

Nice lies TJ. I am a Scotophile. Always have been that’s why I am anti those who like to inflict self harm on such a wonderful country on the basis of lies and deceipt. Giving a model for the Brexshiteers to follow.

That’s not to mention those English who go up there and own multiple properties which pushes people on to the street homeless while pretending to be Scottish

Junkyard
    Free Member

you re a scotophile in much the same way Trump would claim he is one

Cougar

Cougar – I do try to keep up with your example. But you set a high standard

QED.

Edukator
    Free Member

THM sneers at everyone who doesn’t agree with him. And that’s a broad church

Well do something about it then, Cougar. Ban me while you’re at it, there’s some painting I need to get on with. But do something because if you don’t this place is going the way of BM. A few navel gazing anti-social arses that are so unpleasant no-one else sticks around or more to the point, no new blood joins in with the ****.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that’s why I am anti those who like to inflict self harm in such a wonderful country.

Remind us again how brexit benefits Scotland?

ninfan
    Free Member

Remind us again how brexit benefits Scotland?

They get to leave the EU

Edukator
    Free Member

Nice lies TJ. I am a Scotophile.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.commercialmotor.com/news/product/vauxhalls-ellesmere-port-factory-risk-closure-2019

sorry for changing the topic from racism and scotland.

Who would have thought a car plant was at risk of closure.

Cougar

Well do something about it then, Cougar.

I can’t ban someone for having contentious views. Well, I could, but it’d make me a monumental hypocrite so I’m not going to do that.

I can ban someone for breaching the T&Cs, but there’s an element of society who are so very, very talented at walking the line.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

#fakenews #projectfear they are just cynically using it to milk the government for cash etc.
    Anyway job losses will be worth it

tjagain

mrmo – one of the things I pointed out early on in this thread along with many other people. Car plants will be in big trouble because so many parts criss cross the uk border and the UK has the weakest worker protection laws so closing the plant comes at little cost

tjagain

Cougar – from the sticky post.

The ethos of this forum must be one of mutual respect for everyone who uses it. You may argue and debate with anyone but when the argument becomes heated or abuse begins to creep in, then you will have crossed the line. If you don’t step back from it then you will likely be moderated.

Respect for everyone is paramount. If we see evidence or have good reason to believe that you are looking to get a rise or to deliberately force a reaction from any other users (Trolling) then we will stop you.

Now I know I am on thin ice and sometimes get too close to the line but THM calling me a liar repeatedly?

and I also know questioning the moderators decisions puts more cracks in my ice. I’ll be too busy to post much the next few days anyway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A few navel gazing anti-social arses that are so unpleasant no-one else sticks around or more to the point, no new blood joins in with the ****.

That would be this thread.

Go and have a look at the rest of the forum. It’s really rather good. I recommend it.

Or, just go out for a walk, read a book. Whatever.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there’s an element of society who are so very, very talented at walking the line.

rules are guides not absolutes

they work most of the time but not all the time as the line walkers demonstrate

They are just constantly negatively using the forum,if they were not they would not be using it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So time to move on, Monday morning is rolling across the world.
    There are still plenty of issues to deal with that are serious and difficult.
    Car plants seem to be high on the list now, perhaps the UK government will have their handy guide and assessment doc to refer to.

Cougar

Cougar – from the sticky post.

TBH, I expect there will be a number of bans just before Christmas just so that we get some time off. Sorry, TJ (-:

rules are guides not absolutes

Oh, sure, and I’ve discussed this at length. Moderation is subjective. Which is a blessing and a curse.

Edukator
    Free Member

Forum rules:

If your posts are persistently argumentative we will consider that a negative use of our forum.
    If you resort to abuse of other forum users we will consider that a negative use of our forum.
    If you post irrelevant posts to the topic in discussion we will consider this negative use of the forum.
    If in our opinion your contributions to the forum are predominantly off topic we will consider this negative use of the forum.

igm

THM said:

I am democratic remainer not a leaver.

And his posts would bear that out.

I too am a democratic remainer not a leaver.

I just question whether democracy ended on 24th June 2016 following the vote of the night before.

I accept THM and I have slightly different views. Actually I’m probably the holder of a more paternalistic view than he is in some ways – I believe our representatives are meant to act in our interests not do what we tell them. I accept there is a we know best attitude there, but when I employ a lawyer I expect them to act in my interests and if I’m going to do something stupid legally, tell me and have no part in helping me (do something stupid). I expect the same when I employ a professional representative at Westminster (oh go on someone will claim I don’t). I also know when I am employed as a professional electrical engineer and a client was to do something stupid I don’t get to help them without leaving myself open for all sorts of negligence discussions.

Or in other words the will of the people argument is cobblers, not because people are thick, but because it is not their area of expertise. I have a man to do that for me (albeit an imbecile called Sturdy – you should try getting a decent response from a letter from him).

I also believe people grow, learn, change – even if the will of the people were valid, it’s not static.

So in short, the government are expected to get the best deal for the UK’s people (remembering that many of them are “just about managing” and leaving the EU won’t help that) – anything else is a dereliction of duty.

(This rant brought to you by Apple predictive text)

Edukator
    Free Member

Or, just go out for a walk, read a book. Whatever.

We don’t agree on a lot, CFH, but you’re absolutely right. See the nice pics on the Ski thread… . 8)

Cougar

I also know questioning the moderators decisions puts more cracks in my ice.

Maybe in the old world and perhaps still “officially,” but personally I welcome it. If I’m not being questioned then I’ve no idea whether I’m making good decisions or not. I’ve said from the outset, the one thing I wanted to bring to the table when I was appointed was transparency and honesty (ok, two things). If I’m doing a shit job I’d really want to know. Quiet at the back.

The issue here I think comes when we get drawn into an argument about our decisions. And the potential here is high. I decided to be “out” precisely because I figured (hoped) that I had the fortitude to step back and not get drawn into that. I’m happy to field questions, but will step back from dummy-spitting and trolling.

Cougar

I believe our representatives are meant to act in our interests not do what we tell them.

Or in other words the will of the people argument is cobblers, not because people are thick, but because it is not their area of expertise.

Bingo.

gordimhor

As someone who thinks Scotland can and should be independent I welcome every sneer and pejorative term Thm uses to post about people like me.

Otherwise I can only suggest people ignore what I see as trolling (edit)

mefty
    Free Member

I believe our representatives are meant to act in our interests not do what we tell them.

And they overwhelmingly voted for us to give notice under Article 50, that put continued membership of EU out of our hands alone.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they did that because of our vote/ref not because of the bit you quoted ; that posts makes no sense.

tjagain

Cougar – Moderator

TBH, I expect there will be a number of bans just before Christmas just so that we get some time off. Sorry, TJ (-:

will I get a Christmas card with my ban?

Cougar

hey did that because of our vote/ref not because of the bit you quoted

And a large influx of money from the likes of Aaron Banks.

mefty
    Free Member

they did that because of our vote/ref not because of the bit you quoted ; that posts makes no sense.

Because they recognized that there are circumstances where the expressed will has to be followed whatever their personal views. I think IGM’s use of paternalistic would be more precise if he said Burkean, after Edmund Burke but I may have misunderstood.

Viewing 40 posts - 40,081 through 40,120 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.