Viewing 40 posts - 40,041 through 40,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • gavstorie
    Free Member

Is Scottish a nationality?

It’s not even a proper country, more of a region really, like Cornish or Scouser

Scotland is a country not a region. It is nothing like Cornwall or Liverpool and comments such as yours go a long way to show your ignorance.

kilo

teamhurtmore – Member
    Don’t forget spekkie that many werehappy for the UK government to ignore your predicament. Your protection as relatively unimportant.

Jamby and any other brexiteers? 😉

tjagain

Gav – he knows that- just a practising contrarian

Edukator
    Free Member

Emergency treatment is always free in the NHS for anyone.

Which is more than the EU requirement which is good.

Beyond three months you need to get a UK national insurance number to benefit from free healthcare in the UK, that means registering at the Job centre and making yourslef available for work. Same for France and Spain (I’ve worked in Spain and been through all the formalities).

Edit: I’ve now seen yur post of the previous page, TJ. In practice to get the status that gives you free healthcare you have to go via the Job Centre to get the NI number and provide a pile of paperwork to justify your situation.

tjagain

That post from THM is more utter bolloxs. Its may and co who are putting EU nationals at risk of losing their healthcare. The EU initially offered full reciprocal rights but May and co refused making them into pawns in the political game and all the remainers I have seen commenting on this were disgusted by her stance.
    Cite a post THM – put up or shut up

I bet its shut up as he has done on his baseless accusations of racism and as he has over his own banning for racist postings

sobriety
    Free Member

the 1965 Race Relations Act, which refers to less favourable treatment on grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins

Thanks TJ, if that act hasn’t been superseeded I shall have to point it out to my bosses wife next time I see her, as she’s Scottish, and hates the English with a passion. 😈

I got a pass as I’m not totally English…

tjagain

It has been superseded but thats the definition used IIRC – now widened to include religion and disabilities as well

Anti English racism does exist up here but IME of living here for the last 25 years its very rare

kelvin

Don’t forget spekkie that many werehappy for the UK government to ignore your predicament. Your protection as relatively unimportant. Read back and you will see who they are.

Name them. No one has any idea who you are on about.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You go away for a few days and he slips even further down the rabbit hole

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anti English racism does exist but apparently does not need to be condemned. See above ^. Ditto racism.

Many chose to argue that the UK should grant rights to EU citizens despite not having the same rights guaranteed by the EU. This was repeated extensively under the guise of “moral high ground” and the faux argument about “bargaining chips.” What it actually meant that they were happy for the UK government not to prioritise respecting your rights. You were less important.

This week, despite the untruths posted above, you saw the joint commitment declared. The gov took their responsibility more seriously that those for whom you were not important. A relief I’m sure.

kelvin

Anti English racism does exist but apparently doesn not need to be condemned. See above ^. Ditto racism.

Who said that?

Many chose to argue that the UK should grant rights to EU citizens despite no having the same rights guaranteed by the EU

Yep, we should have granted full rights to citizens here. The EU would have then done the same. I have no idea why you claim they would not have.

The UK was the country throwing lives of “citizens of nowhere” into chaos, and we had the power to solve that at the same time as triggering A50. The onus was very much on us. We were triggering A50, we weren’t being thrown out.

igm

I was one of the “just give them the rights” ones.

No moral high ground though.

Given nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, and I fully expected the EU to reciprocate, it just didn’t seem worth wasting negotiating time over.

Easy one, get it off the table, move on. Why May failed to do that and made some half arsed gesture I do not know.

igm

As for anti-English racism, yes it exists.

I (originally Glaswegian), my English wife, my Scots best man and his Scots wife were in Pizza Corolla in Glasgow one night when something was said. All I can say is don’t make racist comments around my best man’s wife is you don’t want to look very foolish.

Said Scots anti-English racism was condemned and then some immediately and in the moment by an intelligent and fairly forceful Scots lass. In Glasgow, around closing time, on a Saturday night.

No one gave any more hassle to my wife. I didn’t need to, or get a chance to, react before it was all done.

tjagain

Yep, we should have granted full rights to citizens here. The EU would have then done the same. I have no idea why you claim they would not have.

The EU offered full rights for all citizens. May and co refused.

More utter bollox

DrJ

Many chose to argue that the UK should grant rights to EU citizens despite not having the same rights guaranteed by the EU. This was repeated extensively under the guise of “moral high ground” and the faux argument about “bargaining chips.”

No “faux” about it since

What it actually meant that they were happy for the UK government not to prioritise respecting your rights. You were less important.

is self-evidently pure BS. The two things don’t have to be related.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IGM as should be the case a reciprocal announcement was made this week as we know. Hence people who prefer untruths have to post links back to March. Incredbile in every sense.

And at the end of all this, we have got to the point that was declared (by some) impossible to get to. “Nonsense” the failed rallying cry. Unsurprisingly they remain 99% wrong.. Compromise made, grown ups and very clever people involved, behind the scenes agreements to the fore too. And even our barely competent PM comes out of the week well. Incredible too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Many chose to argue that the UK should grant rights to EU citizens despite not having the same rights guaranteed by the EU. This was repeated extensively under the guise of “moral high ground” and the faux argument about “bargaining chips.”

So what has happened is we got an agreement and then seconds later the high power team stated that we could walk away if we were not happy with anything that comes next. So nothing set in stone there. There was an option to take these things off the table before the start but the UK felt it didn’t have enough the bargain/threaten with.

Del

I only pop into this thread occasionally and no one replies to my posts as everyone is to involved in the personal vendettas! Lol which is fine…

yeah, frankly i’d be grateful not to have to wade through nearly three pages of ‘he said, she said’ in catching up, but it seems that this is what passes for grown up discussion on this thread.
    what someone said on a train, and what happened in rotherham, has f all to do with this. seriously, sort your shit out.

a few people need to step away from the keyboard and have a look at themselves. it’s pretty **** sad TBH.

anyway, i replied to your post. 😉

kilo

And even our barely competent PM comes out of the week well. Incredible too.

Pro-European Conservatives are threatening to inflict Theresa May’s first Commons’ defeat on her Brexit bill in a last-ditch bid to have a “meaningful” vote on the terms and conditions of the UK’s exit package.” and that’s people on the same “team” as her 🙂

kelvin

Hard to avoid Del, but you are right.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OH dear Mike and the purveyors of incorrect infor were claiming a few pages back that the 3 initial issues were now settled. Were they telling porkies again ?

I fear you may be right.

But glad that the UK government is honouring its obligations to our citizens. Good for them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kilo never underestimate the determination of the undemocrats.

Cougar

This is worth a read, I think. For both sides of the camp.

https://orderofthecoif.wordpress.com/2017/12/10/irrelevant-england-and-the-thick-brexiteer/

kelvin

Someome sort the trolling out.

Thread dead ’till they do.

Cougar

I am democratic remainer not a leaver.

And I’m Pope John Paul the third.

Cougar

Oh, also,

Forty thousand. (65 posts ago. Well, 66 now.)

kilo

Jesus Christ you economists are hard work to understand, after work drinks at your place would leave me with brain ache 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So the use of the words undemocratic, undemocrats, remoaner etc are these done to offend or belittle people? If not what’s the reason for picking these terms and using them in a condescending way?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am glad that you have finally chosen to accept a wonderful gift then cougar, sorry if that name is no longer appropriate . Quite a miraculous conversion – are you the hound or the hare now 😉

Nice link by the way – close to my position

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS
    Occasionally actual debate breaks out but too many people waste their time feeding

This is worth a read, I think. For both sides of the camp.

I think we all agree there are good people on both sides but only side got the thickos and the racists :wink
    I can see why some folk voted Brexit but it is not going to achieve what they hope it will.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They’re true

dannyh
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I am democratic remainer not a leaver.

POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Bluff called!?

Edukator
    Free Member

Be nice if the UK government gave me better voting rights than a convicted prisoner given that my only crime is not having a UK address.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no offence but you left at some point after you leave its not your business

My uncle has lived in the US since the 60’s his kids were raised they he has retired there. What has it got to do with him or you what the UK do ?

Personally I think 10 years is long enough

THe EU was different though as it did potentially impact on those and may well have been a special case

tjagain

The people who live on this island archipelago should have a vote IMO. those who don’t live here don’t get a say

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why worry Ed? Given so many want the vote to be ignored you have probably saved yourself some time. Imagine if you had voted and your vote was ignored?

Edukator
    Free Member

Is your Uncle now a US citizen, Junkyard ?

I could go and live in the US and still vote in French elections, there’s a sort of constituency and in every presidential election there’s footage of Frenc New Yorkers voting.

US and French citizens never become second class citizens with reduced rights just because they live somewhere else. US ex-pats continue to pay US taxes if they pay less elsewhere than they would in the US. A excellent example other countries should follow in my opinion. Comply with all obligations benefit from all rights for as long as you are a citizen.

gordimhor

Bless me Cougar for I have sinned It’s been xx years since my last confession. In fact it’s so long ago that Harold Wilson was prime minister

mefty
    Free Member

If only there was a thread on this forum that discussed the EU referendum before it happened upon which THM had posted his arguments for remaining.

Re: the cartoon, I am somewhat surprised that people who were upset by “watermelon” smile are comfortable with the portrayal of Africans in that cartoon, but then they are probably comfortable with the portrayal of Jewish people with hooked noses.

THM doesn’t dislike the Scottish, he is rather complimentary about them for rejecting independence, I am not sure he has a great deal of time for Scottish Nationalists but he says no worse about them than people say about Tories on here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Why worry Ed? Given so many want the vote to be ignored you have probably saved yourself some time. Imagine if you had voted and your vote was ignored?

Time to stop misrepresentation of what people are arguing and campaigning for. Personally i want exactly what was promised, an advisory referendum leading to a period of discussion where some facts could be presented. Add in the opportunity to review progress or lack of and the state of the deal before rejecting or accepting it with the final option to remain in the eu. That is not undemocratic.

Viewing 40 posts - 40,041 through 40,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.