Home Forums Bike Forum Epic Evo or Epic 8?

• This topic has 31 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by dickie.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Epic Evo or Epic 8?
    hopefiendboy

Hi all

I’m potentially looking at one of the epic evo bikes in the sale…

https://www.certini.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/2023-specialized-epic-evo-expert-mountain-bike–gloss-carbongold__92624

Which I can purchase through the cyclescheme meaning around 2.4k for the bike. It seems a lot of bike for that.

However, I’ve heard that the new Epic 8 has improved on this previous Epic.

Has anyone either got the Epic evo above or the Epic 8 who could comment on either?

TIA ? ?

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

2.4k for that bike is a great deal. Otherwise I’d be looking at the normal Epic 8. The 8 Evo only has a 2 position shock, and a slacker seat tube.

I’ve currently got the last gen Epic Evo and tried someone’s Epic 8 Evo last week. I noticed a few things straight away. Specialized have made the seat tube slightly steeper, but it’s still well on the slacker end of things. I’d be interested to know what saddle height they’re getting 75 degrees at. It pedals quite nicely, likely slightly better than mine, but there is still quite a lot of pedal induced suspension movement despite claims of “20% less bobbing”. So I would be using a middle shock setting a lot of the time if there was one. The guy I was riding with said the same. It does feel smoother and more composed on trails than mine. I believe the frame is more compliant as well as the obvious differences in travel and geometry.

v7fmp

i am in a similar dilemma, last generation Epic Evo looks like a pumped up/rowdy XC bike. Whereas the new Epic 8 Evo is very much firmly in the downcountry camp, knocking on the door of a trail bike. Which isnt what i want. But the regular Epic 8 is defo XC, which is probably too XC for what i want….. so the older Epic Evo is perfect…. until i hear the 8 is a better bike…. serious first world problems! :D

hopefiendboy

Totally! First world problem indeed. ??

thegeneralist
    Free Member

@kryton wrote a bit about this on one of the other forty threads about this.

If the “threads I’ve posted on” functionality actually worked then I’d copy n paste it for you.

snakebite
    Free Member

Ive had a new Evo 8 Pro….. its bloody great at everything. hope that helps

devash
    Free Member

Check out the Enduro mag reviews (German magazine but online in English).

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/?s=epic+8

They preferred the Epic 8 but for general riding I would definitely take the Evo, primarily for the more durable components and suspension.

stanley

I have an Epic 8 Expert. I totally love this bike (I have a LOT of bikes!).

It’s the first bike I’ve paid full price for in many years, but I still think it’s great value. I’ve been hammering it around the edges of the Peak District; so a mix of rocky stuff, moorland, steep climbs and descents, towpaths, roads… the lot really. It climbs faster than any other bike I’ve ridden (carbon gravel bike is quicker on smooth climbs obvs), whilst being comfortable and a lot of fun.

I initially thought the ‘bars would be a bit low and narrow, but they are fine. I use the remote lockout loads; although the middle setting is good for everything, it is nice to be able to go fully locked (front and rear) on very smooth climbs and also to loosen it up for rougher descents.

My Strava records have never looked so good: every time I ride it I get new PBs… that includes some descents. If I could have only one bike, this would be it.

Yes, very happy with my Epic 8 :-)

Edit: Also, my large frame takes two 750ml water bottles and I can get tube, levers, cannisters, spares, jacket and snacks in the in-frame storage… it’s cavernous! Much easier to use than, for instance, Santa Cruz’s “Glovebox”.

Kryton57

I wrote my content on page 1 here: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/xc-downcountry-bike/

In short the Epic 8 is the prior Epic 7 Evo, the Epic Evo 8 a more “trail” bike with some ver minor adjustments. “Magic Middle” is just marketing for a firmer platform from the shock in that setting.      I use my Epic Evo 7  with the slight steeper setup for racing and training using the middle mode (I have the 3 mode + compression adjust Float) for platform.  For fun in slightly slacker mode it takes 5 mins to change the chip, put the suspension into open and it’s a slacker funner more confidence bike on the DH by a small but noticeable margin.

As I got the pro model for 50% discount the nuances of the Evo 8 for the extra cost / lesser build weren’t important to me.  In any setups it’s a fun, fast but stable confident bike.

hopefiendboy

@Kryton57 cheers for that. In your opinion in real terms would there be much of a deficit then with the bike I linked above with the SID Select + shock as it only has the 2 position compression options? I’d like it to be fairly decent for pedalling efficiency without having to reach for the lockout all the time…

Kryton57

That’s nice – same as my Pro albeit with RS suspension.

So my opinion: if you watch the Epic rear end (compared to my prior Spark) on a road climb it does Bob more out of the box in Open mode.  Having said that, if ridden and raced in open mode and you cannot feel any inefficieny on trail climbs unless your out of the saddle, but that’s the same on any FS really.

My personal opinion is that I think the  Damper in that Sid (my son has the 100mm) has better mid stroke support than my Fox 34, probably why they specced the 2pos and not 3pos fork.   There’s a good read here, just ignore the F34 SC bits: https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/fox-34-step-cast-vs-rockshox-sid-review-2023/

jonnyrockymountain

I run my epic evo with fox factory 3 position 120mm step cast fork and the factory float SL 3 position rear, and probs ride 80% of the time in the middle setting ie climbing/flat/decending, and open fully when i hit rougher decents, i find it great

hopefiendboy

Cheers @Kryton for the feedback.

Yup, I hear you re the efficiency. Out the saddle stuff is always like that and I’m definitely more of a sit and spin rider where required.

Got a big ride this weekend…the GT7…if I get on well with this on the hardtail and can see myself doing more exploratory xc stuff…I’ll seriously consider it…

hopefiendboy

Another option is the Trek Top Fuel…..what would appeal about this is the rear suspension being bob on without needing any shock adjustments…

https://www.bicyclechain.co.uk/shop/bikes/sub/mountain/trek-2023-top-fuel-9-8-gx-axs-gen-3-12113435/option/

butterbean
    Free Member

Epic 8 owner here, former multiple Epic & Epic Evo owner.

Mine was actually an Evo frame, mostly as I prefer the colour ways & more subtle branding, but built up with SID Ult & SIDLux, XXSL, silly light 1300g wheels & a lot of other carbon bits & it’s basically 10kg on the nose. The only concession I have is a decent length dropper post.

It’s my going out for proper XC rides, endurance events, XC racing etc so it’s fairly focussed, but even so in the above spec, it’s definitely a ‘calmer’ bike than the old one.which you could expect as its had the longer, slacker, etc treatment. Apart from the tyres (Fast Track/Renegade combo) I would happily do some normal UK trail riding on it also – its very good natured to ride.

The storage is a plus for me as I never ride with a pack & it’s a big space to fill with spares & snacks.

General all round thumbs up from me.

hopefiendboy

Trek Top Fuel 9.9 XX1 AXS – In our 2022 downcountry group test

After reading this review and the fact that the Trek I linked above is 320 quid cheaper I’m leaning more towards the Top Fuel….its the 9.8 with the lower spec but is specced with a 130mm Pike on the front which I probably think is a better fork overall compared to a SID. Sure it will be another 1kg or so heavier but you’re looking at a 12.6kg bike that pedals really well…I’m not sure I’m full XC and this would maybe hit the lightweight all rounder that is still quick enough to do the job…

dickie
    Free Member

You get space for 2 bottles on the old Epic Evo, & same on the Epic 8 plus down tube storage.

hopefiendboy

this is true…but I cant get the Epic8 on C2W as its too expensive and only one bottle mount isnt a deal breaker IMHO- if its a big day I’d either refill from a stream or just fill up at someone’s house, or take the camelbak :-)

2k for the Trek is an absolute steal

kitenski
    Free Member

@hopefiendboy did you decide on a bike? Think I’m in a similar search pattern to you currently!

HobNob
    Free Member

Also Epic8 owner here. It’s my everyday bike for XC, gravel loops & occasionally making poor life choices & riding local FoD off piste trails when I’m riding past the forbidden fruit on an XC loop. Mine is also a lightweight build, very much an XC focus but on the off piste flow stuff, it’s still frighteningly quick.

For comparison, my other half has a ‘23 Top Fuel, which is a tank, despite being built light. It’s not for from my Tallboy in weight, but much closer the the Epic in terms of ride performance.

I’m not sure I would class any Epic (Evo or not) in the trail category. I’m not sure idle even put them in the downcountry box (when compared to something like a Spur), but they are bloody good at covering a reasonable range of terrains, very quickly.

v7fmp

i see they have released 2025 colours now… and added a few quid to some of the models. A comp has gone from £4250 to £4500…..

https://www.certini.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mtb/specialized-epic

but does now have the new ‘cheap’ AXS Transmission fitted.

v7fmp

I’m not sure idle even put them in the downcountry box (when compared to something like a Spur),

Specialized would disagree :)

The Specialized Epic 8 EVO Mountain Bike takes downcountry performance to the next level,

hopefiendboy

Ah epic 8 and epic 8 evo are different by 10mm at the front and some other small changes.

Another price hike…makes the 2023 epic evo expert at 4k with the carbon wheels look more like a bargain…if you can call 4k bikes a bargain…

hopefiendboy

@hobnob interesting to hear the comparison with the top fuel. Is it that heavy? And noticeable much between the epic and it?

hopefiendboy

@kitenski no not yet…potentially between jobs which might prove an issue if it is via the cycle to work scheme….hedging my bets just now…

kitenski
    Free Member

@hopefiendboy I’m also dithering and have cyclescheme….2023 Epic Evo for £2499 or £3,200 for the Comp or £2999 for the 2022 Epic Comp!! Or some Trek Top Fuels around for similar prices with integrated storage.

Or wait and see if they do a black fri sale of this years models as I really like the SWAT storage!!

chestrockwell

That new purple looks nice but is the cheap ASX SX level? Interested to see the moss colour up close.

hopefiendboy

None left of this years base models according to specialized…all sold.out

kitenski
    Free Member

yeah big question is if they’ll do another 50% sale in April, or was that a one off due to overstocking? Can’t see them making the same mistake twice!

chestrockwell

Nah, that was a covid mistake and they’ve clearly made far fewer 2024 bikes.

dickie
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.