Home Forums Bike Forum Educate me on cornering technique please

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Educate me on cornering technique please
  • smatkins1

Can anyone share some top cornering tips?

I’ve never really given it much thought until a recent ride with a cycling coach. Now I want to know everything there is to know about cornering.

Since the good people on this forum seem to know everything about everything hopefully someone can offer some advice on how to get a bike around a corner quickly.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Outside pedal at six o’clock…. Bend your arms, head down!

colournoise

In the (paraphrased) words of the rider who taught me most about cornering, “push, and if you’re not hitting your line round the corner, push harder”.

Still hear this in my head at least once every ride.

egb81
    Free Member

Look where you’re going.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

egb81 – Member
    Look where you’re going.

Look where you want to go.

egb81
    Free Member

That’s probably a better way of putting it.

smatkins1

Outside pedal at six o’clock.

This was the advice that got me thinking… For a fast succession of corners it’s not always possible to fit a half crank turn in to switch to get the outside foot down every time.

coogan
    Free Member

Lock the back brake and skid that bastid round the corner. Smash it! Or above.

leffeboy
    fr0sty125
    Free Member

Look where you want to go, lean the bike over, outside pedal in 6 o’clock. Push down and foreword with your inside arm which should be almost straight outside arm should be bent at the elbow. Twist your hip into the direction you want to turn.

wrecker
    Free Member

Outside foot, inside hand.
    I find steering from the heels works for me, turns the hips, then the shoulders.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends heavily on the corner in question…

iain1775
    Free Member

^ this
    Then the rest of the stuff up there ^^ (not that I remember it when riding)

JCL
    Free Member

Come in bolt upright with your legs locked, tilt your head inside, unclip outside foot and load the front brake at apex.

kudos100
    Free Member

Watch Sam hill. Copy. End up face down in the dirt.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Some good vids on YouTube, here’s one

Cornering with Fabien Barel: http://youtu.be/gF5K9V2w6W8

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Find some snow and practice going into slides drifts without touching the brakes , good fun .

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not like this…..

julzm
    Free Member

You dont necessarily need the outside pedal at 6 o’clock , thats about weighting the outside pedal for grip. The same can bet chiave simply by weighting then ouside pedal with a gradual progression down towards 6 o’clock. Dependi no ow long the corner ism,you may or may not actually get to 6 o’clock. Try it ..see if it works for you.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

1:53 now that is how you take a tight steep switchback corner!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rock-and-loam-ride-slovenia-video-2014.html

Rickos
    Free Member

Point your knob at the exit. Make sure shoulders are open towards the corner too. Photo above shows shoulders facing the outside of the corner with the resulting consequence…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Watch the Fabian video and this one :

http://vimeo.com/41187732

with the pointing your hips into the corner advice, notice how the pelvis is actually tilted so it can be slide backwards and outside the saddle, rather than thrusting your hips forward like one of the guy says in that second video, in a michael jackson style.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Educate me on cornering technique please’ is closed to new replies.