Home Forums Chat Forum Dust free core drilling.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dust free core drilling.
  • zippykona

Need to drill a 4 inch hole through a wall in our shop. If I make any dust my life will be a misery for the foreseeable future.
    Before I buy this…
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-core-drill-bit-set-dust-extraction-unit-9-piece-set/7999F?tc=KT1&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAjw3riIBhAwEiwAzD3TiemrXnnLkW9aadGioCm1wj_OJK3T3P_t685zXCi09ZAVcBBH-DPemBoCYJcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Any hacks that I can do ? I have a Henry.
    If I buy the kit above ,does anyone wants to buy a once used kit for £100?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wall paper paste. We used to use it for core drilling. It was suggested as a control measure for drilling through asbestos coated concrete.

zippykona

Onza, what do you do with it?

snaps
    Free Member

Any use?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/starrett-db2-debris-dust-collector-202mm/606HY?tc=MT8&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAjwgviIBhBkEiwA10D2j9NWUpQqXMoYubWMrCU6OX9AIGCkATDmKi9hc8sdxGQSueKeU1KtSBoCfjgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or Google core drilling in your area – we had 4 x 76mm holes drilled through brick for £90+vat in 2016 – chap was here less than an hour with zero mess.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just slap it on where you’re drilling and keep piling it on. Stops the dust becoming airborne.

zippykona

All useful suggestions , thank you .

dropoff

Drill from the outside. We used to try everything to contain the dust. Best was a bucket with a hole in it that we taped to the wall and then passed the core through and fixed Henry to try to capture the dust. Water always works well and you don’t need too much so spraying with a weed sprayer works ok. You can use plasticine to make a damn under the hole to contain the water.

espressoal
    Free Member

Why not do what builders do? gaffer tape a polythene curtain(B+Q paint poly sheet or similar) mask up inside.

mattbee

Wet core drill. Connect to a garden spray type bottle and get an assistant to pump just enough water that you don’t see any dust coming out of the hole. 320 holes for abseil anchors done like that a couple of years ago, from 160-80m, managed to not make too much mess…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve done it in the reception of an office, we just used a bottle of soapy water and put towels down to catch the excess. If making zero mess is important put a plastic bag on the floor under it and tape it to the wall to catch the run off.

Depends what you’re drilling. Lightweight breeze blocks it’ll fly through in clouds of dust so you’ll need a 2nd person there with a spray bottle to keep it damp. Ours was cement with pebbles/ballast so it was slow going and I could just splash some on myself when it started to dry out.

Why not do what builders do? gaffer tape a polythene curtain(B+Q paint poly sheet or similar) mask up inside.

In general it’s better to avoid the source of the hazards than to just wear PPE to attempt to mitigate it. And if you did make a little shower cubicle to contain the dust it’s going to be everywhere and end up in your eyes too so you’ll need a full mask. Silicosis does not look like a fun way to die so if you can avoid generating dust in the first place it’s much better all round.

jamiemcf

@mattbee, I bet the armchair IRATA police loved that half loaded stop 😀

Wet coring is hte best way to stop the dust, especially if there is a void within the wall, it may make a wet mess as it exits the wall though. I try to stay away from core drilling now.

mattbee

@jamiemcf, the Stop was on the haul line for the core drill rig; it’s bolted to the wall with an m8 expansion bolt whilst the drill is being used so it’s semi redundant at that point. But I get you; there’s always someone to pint out your backup is 3” too low or the like! 😂

tthew

Back to the original post, I’d not be buying yourself a full kit of core drills for one job. Also you need better than a standard drill to use them, so much cheaper to hire the kit than buy for a one-off.

I think you’ve had all the advice re. dust suppression.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dust free core drilling.’ is closed to new replies.