Home Forums Chat Forum Dundee

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Dundee
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Hiya. Dundee uni has had some proper staffing issues (last Principal “resigned” as didnt pay rent!) but I know people working there who love it…. if you get to interview ask lots of questions!

City has changed a lot for the better, there is however still mass youth unemployment, social housing shortages and anti social behavoir challenges in the city.

The uni is right in the centre of town so v convenient.

Shackleton
    Free Member

I work at the University, don’t assume someone is lined up! Which dept/area is it you are looking at?

Dundee uni has had some proper staffing issues (last Principal “resigned” as didnt pay rent!) but I know people working there who love it…. if you get to interview ask lots of questions!

It was a lot murkier than that, basically he did lots of things that wouldn’t be acceptable to most people in terms of what I will euphemistically call interpersonal interactions. What he “resigned” over wasn’t what the real problem was, it was just what they could make stick….

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

By brother in law works at the Uni, you probably know him.
    We were in Dundee the other week visiting from Manchester, second time I’ve been there and I really like it. We’ve stayed in Broughty Ferry and a place called Cupar a bit south (?) the whole area was really nice.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I was brought up in Dundee and loved it. Cycling was fantastic and deserted roads north of the city. I was a member of the Dundee Wheelers and a great bunch.
    I then ended up in Aberdeen which was dreadful and hated the place and back down in England now in the Forest of Dean which I really like.

argee

I grew up in Perth, used to go to Dundee all the time, still do when up there, i find that Dundee has benefited from changes recently, it’s got a lot going for it and not far from a lot of decent riding/walking/etc.

Perth has went the other way, bit of a declining city due to the way they’ve been run, if i was going back up i’d have to say i’d be slightly north of both, but the area is fine, Dundee does mean you’re a proper east coaster though, and will need to start brushing up on your language, just keep practicing “twa pehs, ain plen bridie an an ingin ain ana”

joshvegas
    Free Member

a place called Cupar

Dump. It used to be a busy wee market town. Now its a town screaming for a bypass.

twa pehs, ain plen bridie an an ingin ain ana”

None of them in a buttered roll? Amateur.

dair86
    Free Member

Im married to Dundonian, well she is a pretend Dundonian. Angus Girl from Muirhead and Birkhill.

Once married i repatriated her to Ayrshire where we live.

the In-laws still live in Muirhead,

Its a pretty nice place to live, Village life, local shop, village pub (wifes uncle is the owner) within 5 mins of downtown Dundee.

Other Suggestions from across the sofa,

Liff

Monifieth

Fowlis (brother inlaw lives there)

As for riding,

Dunkeld 40mins away,

Gorms in just over an hour,

Tweed Valley in 2 hrs

Also plenty of riding across the water in fife

matt_outandabout

If Dundee were South of the border, it would be the trendiest, South facing, spa town on the sea with uber cool bars, restaurants, tourists aplenty, house prices through the roof and middle class luvvies striving to get Antoine into thier choice of school.

I’ve two staff who went to uni there and won’t have a bad word said about the place.

As others have said, it’s finally starting to shed the hangover it’s had for a few decades. I can imagine more than a few businesses and people relocating there over the next few years. Like every town, is got issues, and the youth unemployment, some crime issues and deprived neighbourhood’s are worse than many cities I work in.

If you can afford to choose where you get a house, go for it.

crazy-legs

I really liked Dundee. Went out with a girl there for quite a while. It was beginning to redevelop at the time (maybe 10 years ago now) but it was still (mostly) a nice place even then.

Reminded me a bit of Cardiff (where I went to uni) – small(ish) city, some nice bits, some of it a dump but definitely on the up. Cardiff Bay, when I was at uni, was an absolute shithole. It’s now a really desirable part of the city. Dundee felt very similar to me, a neat compact city that was improving all the time.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Would also add that housing seems to be in high demand. My brother recently put central Dundee pad on the market, had about 20 viewings over the first weekend and it was sold within 2 weeks.

Another pal, relocating from London, has struggled to find a flat….

duckman

A friend has just been given her notice at the Uni, she works in IT support. 2/3 bedroom flat prices have been daft for 20 years, there is a lack of the sort of central flats students like. Weirdly all my mates have moved out to the likes of Monifieth, Birkie etc as they have got older.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dundee’ is closed to new replies.