Home Forums Chat Forum Dublin weekend?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dublin weekend?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’m heading to Dublin with a few friends in a couple of weeks. We have booked flights and a hotel close to the Castle but I’ve got 2 questions that others might be able to answer:
    1. Do we need to take PCR tests before or after flying? At either end? Information on the gov.uk and gov.ie websites are pretty poor on telling you what you need to do, other than it being part of a common travel area. Passenger locator forms need to be completed for everyone over 18 years.
    2. As I said, we’ve booked a hotel near the castle as we thought we should be near to Temple Bar. Is Temple bar still the place to go drinking in Dublin? Or have other areas sprung up in recent years? Also, what’s the nightlife like in Dublin these days post covid?

Ta muchly.

kilo

If you are double vaccinated then you do not, just the passenger locator form. You will need the Nhs vaccination record to show customs and may need to show this at restaurants, we just loaded it onto our phones and that was fine.
    If you are not vaccinated or recovered you have to self-isolate so not much of a weekend!

From https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/travel_to_ireland_during_covid.html#

No travel-related testing or quarantine is necessary for travellers from Great Britain with valid proof of full vaccination.

If you have valid proof of recovery from COVID in the past 180 days, no travel-related testing or quarantine will be necessary.

If you do not have valid proof of vaccination or recovery and are travelling from Great Britain you will need to:

Show evidence of a negative RT-PCR test result taken taken within 72 hours before your arrival
    Self-quarantine (also called home quarantine)
    Take a post-arrival test (from day 5 onwards)

alanl
    Free Member

We were there around 6 weeks ago, though we didnt fly. No checks or paperwork at the Border either in or out. Restaurants/pubs were hot on it though, we had to show our vaccination record, they copied the details down for tracking.
    Masks were compulsory in a lot of places. Distancing was still prominent too, no idea if it has changed in the meantime. Take loads of cash, as it’s well expensive. Obviously we didnt try any of the flat roofed pubs on the outer Dublin estates, but the cheapest pint was 6.50 euros. Food was around 20-30% more than England, 15euro in a Beefeater type pub for fish and chips. I think I’d have a little moan at £12 for the same in a local pub near home.

swoosh
    Free Member

Yeah I’d heard it was expensive. I’ll take plenty of euros and those that I don’t spend I’ll sell to my father in law who goes abroad more than me.

I couldn’t find that on the gov.ie website, thank you, makes it a lot easier if we don’t need to be tested at every turn.

johndoh
    Free Member

I hope you like Guinness – there’s nothing else to do in Dublin,

swoosh
    Free Member

I don’t like Guinness, looks like I’ll be having a dry weekend then…

grum
    Free Member

I hope you like Guinness – there’s nothing else to do in Dublin

I’ve never been to Dublin, but this can’t possibly be true.

jimob
    Free Member

Camden Street is the new Temple Bar. Well, it is for the locals. Plenty of places to eat and drink. Enjoy

Kryton57

I’ve never been to Dublin, but this can’t possibly be true.

It isn’t, but even if you don’t like Guiness I’d encouraged you to try a small cold glass, I found it remarkably refreshing and different.

Saccades
    Free Member

Right, ‘cos of covid and the Irish government kinda actually giving at shit (at least their public face) going out is quite a bit different.

Loads of pubs and the like fined for not getting tracing details, so they are keen. You need your Id, phone no and proof of vaccination (or recovered from C19). And a mask.

Temple bar is worth 2-3 pints to tick that box. It’s a tourist trap (which has a time and a place tbf). Prices have gone mental, food was always expensive (but usually good quality) but now baby Jesus cries at the prices as furlough is still in operation and places are struggling for good staff (and gouging shits).

Across the river from temple bar is a decent spot for sessions (abbey street), if you want a more chilled experience, ranelagh has a good posh student vibe.

Guinness experience is ok, a box to tick. After that, little jumps out except going to ticknock and renting bikes from biking.ie for some decent trails.

GAA season is over, otherwise tickets to a Hurling match is a great laugh.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dublin weekend?’ is closed to new replies.