Home Forums Bike Forum DT Swiss 6 bolt to Centerlock adapter kit – any issues or pretty reliable?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DT Swiss 6 bolt to Centerlock adapter kit – any issues or pretty reliable?
  • bgascoyne
    Free Member

I need a new back wheel and have found a good deal on a DT Swiss. However it comes with centerlock rather than my preferred six bolt. I see there is an adapter kit available. Has anyone got experience with these – are the adapters pretty reliable and solid or do they develop play over time or have any other issues?

Also is the tool to tighten the nut just an external BB tool or do I have to buy the special Park Tool?

joemmo
    Free Member

they are fine, I used the shimano adapters on a mavic wheel for a year or so, and yes you just use a BB tool to tighten the lockring.

honeybadgerx

I’d be tempted to just get some centerlock rotors. No issues with centerlock on my cross bike, seems like a good system to be honest.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above really. No issues with the adaptors but you might as well get a centrelock rotor. Probably cost about the same as the adaptor and you get a new disk

riddoch

Centrelock is a much better interface than six annoying torx bolts made of cheese that you manage to strips the head of.

I thought the shimano used the cassette lockring tool and some others use an external (BB) type fitting. Apparently some tools don’t fit some hubs depending if its 12mm, 15mm axle.

Northwind

The genuine DT ones are very good. The absima ones are fine too.

kelron
    Free Member

Possibly from the same PSA as the wheels I bought recently. Wiggle had some XT centrelock rotors on clearance for less than the adapter kit. The lockring that came with them fits a 12mm axle fine and uses a cassette tool to tighten.

If the lockring has the splines on the outside (for 15mm axles) you’ll need a BB tool.

Seems like a much better system than 6 bolt now I have the parts, usually wheels come with the lockrings but guessing these were OEM.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it will be fine. I was thinking about just getting a new disc. The adapter is only £12 and my current disc is still pretty good.

Are the Shimano and DT Swiss CL patterns the same? I have never had a CL hub so know nothing about the interchangeability (if that’s a word) of CL disc’s. I guess they all fit each other the same as 6 bolt all fit each other?

Cheers

mattbee

The DT Swiss wheel I bought recently came with a centre lock adapter in the box.

joemmo
    Free Member

Are the Shimano and DT Swiss CL patterns the same?

Yes they are.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My DT Swiss adapter was fine on my Trigger 29 er rear with zero problems.
    I have the barely used Shimano IceTech 180 CL rotor for sale if you are interested.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

As above, my DT Swiss came with the adapters in the box.

For the rear you can use a cassette tool, but for 15mm front, it won’t fit round the axle so it’s a bb tool, I bought a cheap socket type bb tool and filed off the chamfer for this purpose… now I have the right tools for the job and I’ve bought CL discs, now I prefer them.

deadkenny
    Free Member

or do they develop play over time

They do develop play. It doesn’t really affect braking but if you rock bike back and forth with brake on there’s noticeable play in it, which is disconcerting.

Problem is DT’s adaptor just has lugs that fit through the 6 bolt holes and the whole thing sandwiches together with the disc and a lot of torque to hold it in place, but slightly thinner disc can mean it’s not solid.

Also, the ones that use external BB tool for the lockring, the tool snags on the lugs and wears them down.

There are alternates that actually use 6 bolts to attach the disc to the adaptor, which I might try.

Centrelock is a much better interface than six annoying torx bolts made of cheese that you manage to strips the head of.

Centrelock is a horrible abomination of a proprietary “standard” only DT and Shimano use. It forces you to use more expensive two part rotors (and there can be issues there with such rotors with failing rivets/bolts that join the parts). If it comes undone on a ride you need to carry a special tool with you!

6 bolts just work. If you lose one it doesn’t end a ride, and you can easily carry a spare and tool is standard.

Shouldn’t be stripping torx heads. You can get hex bolts but they will strip easy. Don’t torque stupid high, they don’t need much torque and just a little thread lock. Unlike Centrelock lockrings which require stupid high torque, which you are going to struggle to reach with a small tool you carry in a backpack without enough leverage.

Only reason I’ve got one is off-the-shelf DT M1900s that I’d got for HT and the retail models come with Centrelock. My other wheels are nicer DTs that I’ve had built up and always spec 350 hubs with 6 bolt.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If it comes undone on a ride you need to carry a special tool with you!

I very much doubt this has happened to anyone. And who carries spare disc rotor bolts with them?

I like centrelock, it’s so easy and it just works.

Northwind

“And who carries spare disc rotor bolts with them?”

Nobody, but the point is you get 12 to start with, things have to go very wrong before you get a problem.

But I agree that centrelock’s reliable enough that there’s no real need to worry about it. I did have one come loose, because I bodged it on with the wrong tool, so I didn’t do that again

deadkenny
    Free Member

And who carries spare disc rotor bolts with them?

I do, or at least one. Along with chain links. Weigh nothing. Not really an emergency thing, just if I spotted a missing bolt I can sort it there and then. Though haven’t lost a bolt in nearly 10 years. I have had centerlock come loose.

6 bolts are also easy and just work. Tried and tested technology for a lot longer that didn’t need a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

Anyway, I can’t use solid piece steel rotors which I prefer without 6 bolt or adapter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 6 bolt to Centerlock adapter kit – any issues or pretty reliable?’ is closed to new replies.