Home Forums Chat Forum Does running tighten or loosen your hamstrings?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Does running tighten or loosen your hamstrings?
  • danti

Just having a “discussion” at work.

I was under the impression that if you mostly cycled then doing a bit of running helped stretch/loosen them… or am I completely wrong.

Wouldn’t be the first time 😳

coffeeking
    Free Member

My guess would be that it would stretch them as you extend your leg forwards and stride. But I’m not a medical Dr and I’ve only basic understanding of biomechanics 🙂 Cycling, on the other hand, exercises them [your legs] and keeps them bent all of the time, to varying degrees, possibly contributing to tightening.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I would imagine running would generally shorten your hamstrings as you rarely extend you legs properly when running.

However if your hamstrings are mega-mega-mega short from cycling it may lengthen them somewhat.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d really struggle to get my leg this straight and far out in front of me…

mt
    Free Member

Classic heal striker, very poor. She’ll need new knees at some point.

steve-g
    Free Member

My completely un-educated guess would be that any exercise will gradually tignten muscles as all the “damage” done to them in exercise is replaced with scar tissue that is less flexible.

Separate streching will loosen them.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t even know how you tell if your hamstrings are tight or not.
    Or even if it’s a good or bad thing.

Keva
    Free Member

stretching will help stretch muscles, to loosen them I think you have to do nothing.

Kev

toby1

If you run on your toes I’d say shorten as you are rarely sretching your leg. If you heel strike like the picture it’ll lengthen if you have tight hamstrings and tighten if you have loose hamstrings.

Well that is what I reckon anyway 🙂

Having said that I also could be wrong

Bend over touch your toes (knees straight), if you make it they are loose enough 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Touch your toes!I can only get just below my knees……

frogger
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter which way you run, heal or toe, all running shortens hamstrings. Only way to lengthen them is to stretch them properly. Short hamstrings cause lots of problems including lower back problems. Your hamstring is attached the the back of you knee on your lower leg so wrapping your legs under your chair when you are sitting down shortens them further.

http://beebleblog.com/2007/09/12/leg-stretches-hamstring-stretches/

emac65
    Free Member

Hmmmm,As I’ve stated above I can’t get anywhere near my toes so I’m guessing I have tight “hams”.BUT have never had a days back pain in my life,which aint bad for a 45yr old who’s done heavy manual work all his working life……

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can touch my toes easily and it’s always been that way. I rarely do any stretching, so suspect it’s down to general physiology as much as anything else. I’d also hazard a guess that someone with long arms and a short body can touch their toes a lot easier than someone with short arms and a long body.
    Interestingly it’s been reported that Paula Radcliffe’s lower body flexibility has reduced as her times have improved. Make of that what you will.

surfer
    Free Member

Frogger is right.

Ref the girl in the picture you cant be sure she is a heel striker (although it looks like it from the picture) despite what shoe manufacturers tell you most people are forefoot or midfoot strikers.

This picture indicates the same but Haille is a forefoot striker

[/url] gebre_fm[/url] by Vocab1[/url], on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Does running tighten or loosen your hamstrings?’ is closed to new replies.