Home Forums Bike Forum DJI ebikes

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • DJI ebikes
    simon_g

Didn’t see that coming – DJI (the drone company) launching a MTB ebike system as well as their own bikes.

https://www.dji.com/uk/avinox?site=brandsite&from=homepage

https://www.amflowbikes.com/uk

2.5kg motor that can do 1000W / 120Nm peak. 800Wh battery at 3.74kg, or 600Wh at 2.87kg. Full-fat power and battery in sub-20kg bikes.

It’ll probably be pricey but it’s a market that could do with a proper shake-up.

stingmered

Looks good. Skipped through, but didn’t hear much about sealing against ‘weather’. Hopefully they’ve nailed it.

simon_g

They’re claiming IP66 for the motor. The only others I’ve seen to be rated at the Specialized SL motors which are IP56 (ie not as good for dust, same for waterproofing).

GeForceJunky

That looks great. The bike is very similar looking to an Orbea Rise, shame the dropper insertion length looks a bit short. 3.7kg for an 800Wh battery is a good 0.5kg lighter than the Bosch 750Wh battery. All they need now is a MGU version and I’m sold.

mashr

IP66 is a very bold claim. Completely sealed against dust and happy to shrug off a powerful jet wash (from 3m)

rone

DJIs high end drone the Matrice can fly in the rain.

Amazing engineers.

I’m sure they will crack it.

winston
    Free Member

I’ve always been an ebike sceptic due to many of the issues highlighted in the video – size and weight of a the full power bikes v lack of any real advantage in the low powered ones. Also always been suprised at the lack of any real design innovation – many ebikes its like they just stuck a motor and battery on an existing design and expected it to handle as well as the original.

This one appeals to be a bit more – reasonable weight, probably a bit too much power for me! It also looks good. Software also interesting – many companies who are not used to implementing software integration don’t pay nearly enough attention to it. I’ve lost count of the amount of hardware I’ve bought or used that would have functioned perfectly as designed yet is hobbled by software – DJI will have this nailed

Am intrest…

julians
    Free Member

Looks great – price and reliability will be key

ogden
    Free Member

Seems a strange pivot from them but when he explains it, it makes a lot of sense. Can only be a good thing to have more options.

dhague

From the FAQ for the Amflow bike:

What is the most extreme environment or operating condition that is suitable for Amflow PL to be used/ridden?
    Amflow PL meets ASTM4 standards and can be used on both paved and unpaved surfaces. With the fork and rear shock air pressure set to 25-30% sag, and properly tuned, it can handle a maximum load of 125 kg, a maximum speed of 40 kph, and a maximum drop height of 120 cm.

I found a list of ASTM categories here. ASTM-4 is basically “Enduro” (loosely speaking, 1=road, 2=XC, 3=trail, 4=enduro, 5=downhill).

It will be very interesting to see how the system is priced and how maintainable the motor is (I can see non-metallic gearing needing to be replaced from time to time).

convert

Looks interesting.

If it works – and most things DJI do do after a firmware update or 3 – I also predict it will come at a price that will demonstrate what it costs to do the engineering and tech properly. At that point most people will realise they are not wealthy enough for ebikes.

beaker2135

This looks great no mention of price or warranty that I’ve seen. Can’t wait for the MGU version…

Here is what Rob at EMTB forum thinks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=S0m5aR-aP1MvJ1HU&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.emtbforums.com%2F&source_ve_path=MTY0OTksMjg2NjQsMTY0NTA2&feature=emb_share&v=QEIdw6eIJtE

jedi

Looks awesome

DickBarton

Daft question but what is MGU?

goldfish24

Very interesting. Where are DJI based? I’m holding off on e-bikes until someone that knows uk mud makes one.

IP ratings are self declared – no third party needs to test it nor is there any legislation around it. and the standards pretty vague around what constitutes a pass.

goldfish24

Replying to my own question. Shenzen, china. Chinese engineering is often outstanding these days, but I recall a poster on here living in china struggling with the lack of “real” mtb’ing out there.

jam-bo

dc rainmaker reckons 7000/10000 euros for base/pro models.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Is it not very Levo SLish ?

@DickBarton
    In this context MGU is Motor Gearbox Unit, like the new Pinion ebike motor.

DickBarton

Cool, thanks @TroutWrestler.

bikesandboots

Is it not very Levo SLish ?

That suspension arrangement looks it, but only so many ways of arranging things I guess.

Fair play to them for the engineering work on the motor system, but they do lose my respect for originality with the rest of the bike. In China they see copying things as sensible and a sign of respect to whoever originally designed it.

ayjaydoubleyou

edit – removed

MSP

I believe they are also going to sell the motor and electronics OEM, so other bike manufactures will be able to utilise them in their own frames.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Currently waiting on an Orbea Rise. Ordered in May, keeps getting pushed back and back with now November being the earliest delivery.

The Amflow bikes appear to be available in October with deliveries in November too. The shop where I was buying the Orbea from are really apologetic, and are struggling to get any updates from Orbea.

So would you swap to Amflow, or stick with Orbea?

snotrag

They have gone hard on the promoter/influencer/’review’ content in the past week or so, lots of positive spin but one must remain cynical!

Tech looks, impressive but rather than 120Nm and 800wh, I’d be more impressed with 60Nm and 400wh and a significantly more slender bike.

I’d also not be so keen on going in as an early adopter too. It’s too much money and too much potential tech issues for me. Once they have been out for a year or so and there are ‘real’ reviews available not the usual content.

@funkydunc
    Levo SLs sitting on shelves everywhere with big discounts…

mrhoppy

I’d worry about a rise based on friend waiting on warranty battery for months now, certainly wouldn’t be waiting for one. Amflow looks really good but sounds like availability is already running down, if I was buying it’s where I’d be looking even with early adopter risk.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

They have gone hard on the promoter/influencer/’review’ content in the past week or so, lots of positive spin but one must remain cynical!

Yep the eMBN video is puke inducing BS.

@funkydunc Levo SLs sitting on shelves everywhere with big discounts…

Loved the bike, but the motor and battery just are so out dated compared to the competition

I’d be looking even with early adopter risk.

Yep Ive seen loads of vids of DJI customer services being really good (of course this may not be)

dirkpitt74

Tried watching the DC Rainmaker video – I couldn’t keep up with him, he speaks so fast!!

Looking on the Amflow site it’s £6k for the base model:

Frame

Amflow PL Carbon Frame

Satin Silver

150mm rear travel

Compatible with 27.5″ and 29″ rear wheels

E-Bike System

Avinox M1 Drive Unit: 105 N·m

Avinox Screen: 2-inch OLED Control Display

Avinox Integrated Battery: 800Wh

Avinox Wireless Controllers: Right and left sides

Avinox Fast Charger: 12A/508W

Rear shock

FOX Float Performance

Trunnion (185×55mm), custom tune, EVOL Air sleeve, 2-position lever

Fork

FOX 36 Performance

160mm travel, GRIP Damper, 15×110mm, 44mm rake

Transmission

Rear Derailleur: SRAM GX Eagle 12-speed

Chainring: SRAM Eagle Transmission E-MTB Chainring 104BCD 34T

Shift Levers: SRAM GX Eagle Trigger Shifter|Single Click

Cassette: SRAM PG-1230, 11-50T

Chain: SRAM NX Eagle

Crankset: DJI Avinox SL Crank (M/L: 155mm; XL/XXL: 160mm)

Brakes

Magura MT5 hydraulic disc brake, HC lever, 4-piston caliper w/ Shiftmix 3, 203mm MDR-C Rotor (front and rear)

Wheels

Amflow HMA-30

Rims: Alloy, 29”, 30mm internal width, 32H, tubeless ready

Spokes: SAPIM E-Light J-bend

Front Hub: Alloy, 2 sealed cartridge bearings, 15×110mm thru-axle, 32h, 6-bolt

Rear Hub: Alloy, 4 sealed cartridge bearings, 148×12mm thru-axle, 32h, 6-bolt, 21T

Tires

Front: Maxxis Assegai MaxxTerra 29×2.5″ WT 3C EXO E-25 TLR

Rear: Maxxis Dissector MaxxTerra 29×2.4″ WT 3C EXO+ E-25 TLR

Handlebar

Amflow Enduro Alloy Handlebar

35mm rise, 800mm wide

5-degree upsweep, 9-degree backsweep

Grips

Amflow Enduro Grips

Stem

Amflow Enduro Stem, One-piece CNC

Length: 35mm

Clamping diameter: 35mm

Saddle

Selle Royal SRX Plus

Seatpost

KS Rage-i

M: 150mm

L: 170mm

XL/XXL: 190mm

Accessories

Quick Start Guide

Torque Wrench (3~25 N·m, Hex 2/3/4/5/6mm, Torx® 25)

Shock Pump

Front and Rear Lights

doomanic

Jones liked it and he wouldn’t be influenced by a pay cheque, would he…

simon_g

Got email with pricing the other day, £5999 for PL Carbon (800Wh), £8849 for PL Carbon Pro (600Wh), £8999 for PL Carbon Pro (800Wh).

They’ve got about a dozen UK shops signed up as dealers who can do test rides.

rockhopper70

I watched that EMBN review with Steve Jones and it sort of felt we had now reached a point of bikes being Surron with pedals.  Wheeling up hills and eulogising about how fast it is.  It sort of feels like it’s now an arms race for POWER and SPEED (said in a Jeremy Clarkson voice).

But if that’s what the market wants, then they will sell, probably, unless the actual bike brand puts people off, a bit of an unknown.  I’d be interested in the anticipated longevity of such a system, it’s great being able to schralp uphill while it works, but is it all running the battery and motor ragged and what’s the failure rate going to be, the lead time for spare parts.   A bit like the ludicrous setting on a Tesla.

_tom_
    Free Member

It does look great, if I ever run into some money I’d love to try one! What I’d really love is something like this type of motor system but in a more poppy “freeride” style bike for bike park laps without an uplift.

mrhoppy

Rockhopper, I kind of agree but for me it is the ability to down tune all of the settings and get really big days out of it in a relatively low weight that is the really interesting factor. Full power ebikes can all do the POWER thing but they come with a weight disadvantage, this seems to be full power capability at Sl/mid weights, and it’s still speed limited.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the anticipated longevity of such a system,

Agreed – I’ve seen the vids with the exploded CGI of their gearboxes. All looks plastic gears to keep the weight down. Should be interesting. One of the vids does say that power isnt available below 80rpm, which will help save the motor.

I have also read (and this could be complete trollocks) that they are aware of all the previous shitness of other brands and already have stocked up on spares.

As to power – difficult one.I dont want an ebike for loads of power, but there was a lot of fun to be had riding a Rise with 85nm . However again with the power of this thing, there must be lots of times where you get to the speed  limiter, which becomes more frustrating

zerocool

As it’s a more powerful motor, will it help longevity if I just ran it at 75-85% compared to other motors running at full power in the same way that not thrashing your bigger car engine is better than a smaller one being thrashed to keep up?  I know nothing about motor tech.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

will it help longevity if I just ran it at 75-85% compared to other motors running at full power

Good question. I am not an expert, but high powered cars normally have beefed up components to take the extra power ie more exotic materials ie special alloys or titanium to cope with the higher stresses. Generally as you increase power, things wear out more quickly

You would hope they have used better materials, but who knows, certainly the weight is low

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.