Home Forums Bike Forum DIY tool for pressing fork seals in?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY tool for pressing fork seals in?
  • dawson

Could do with servicing my forks and changing wiper seals and foam rings.

What do people use for pressing the new seals in? Is some plumbing tubing right diameter?

The proper tools look daft prices for what they are.

Forks are RS recon silver TK (coil) so nothing special

tjagain

Have the seals gone? If not why change them? I service my forks every year and have never changed seals. a service is just an oil change

Plastic waste pipe should work

wwaswas

Rock shox should be on with the plastic pipe, new Fox need the correct press as they’ll not go on straight and then bend without support inside the seal.

Unior do some plastic press tools for about £12 each.

dawson

I think the seals need changing as when it is wet I think water gets past the seals, mixes with what oil is there and results in the fork going lumpy and giving a knocking feeling instead of smooth action.

The last time I changed the oil, in the following weeks lots of oil seemed to get pulled up onto the stanchions following a compression/extension cycle.

I’m presuming there is no oil left in them as it’s stopped doing that a while back

nuke

I think the seals need changing as when it is wet I think water gets past the seals, mixes with what oil is there and results in the fork going lumpy and giving a knocking feeling instead of smooth action.

😯 Be interesting to see what state the bushings are in then. Any play in the fork?

dawson

Yes, small amount of fore and aft movement

dawson

Cheeky bump.

Now pondering cost of bushes, versus replacing the whole fork. 5 years old, 26″ , 100mm, 1 1/8th steerer, standard QR (rare as rocking horse poo)

skaifan
    Free Member

I usually put the wiper seals in the freezer overnight then you can push them in by hand. This is on a recent pair of pikes.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes stick them in the freezer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY tool for pressing fork seals in?’ is closed to new replies.