Home Forums Chat Forum Ditch my iPad for a MacBook Air?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ditch my iPad for a MacBook Air?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Looking at replacing my ageing iPad and the cost by the time I add a decent keyboard has me wondering whether a MacBook Air would be a better buy. I need certain mobile apps to run hence looking at a Mac that I believe can do it all.

Will I enjoy getting back the full versions of Excel and Word (I will), being able to plug in my Garmin for occasional map updates plus other peripherals (without digging out an ancient laptop, performing hours of updates and hoping it still works) and having a mouse hover function again?

Or will I curse the extra bulk and lack of a touch screen?

I want one device. Anyone made a similar choice?

ajantom

Much prefer a ‘proper’ laptop to a tablet.
    Had a Surface Pro from work for a couple of years, and a desktop iMac at home.

Changed work (no free laptop/tablet as it’s all desktops at work) and upgraded the iMac to a MacBook Air, and it’s so much better. Don’t miss the touchscreen at all.

They are very light, and when you include the keyboard/case of a tablet there’s barely anything in it.

dovebiker

I’ve got a MacBook Air (M1) and an iPad Pro. For general browsing, social media, photo editing I use the iPad whereas for more work-based stuff, graphic design I use the MacBook.

andylc
    Free Member

I have a newish iPad Pro and my other half has a similarly newish MacBook Air. I like my iPad but if we only had one then the MacBook Air is the better option as there are some applications / word processing stuff that the iPad isn’t great at or isn’t compatible with.

bensales
    Free Member

If you only want one device, then IMO, the laptop is the one to have. I did go the other way, but I still have a Mac desktop for the exception use cases.

I need certain mobile apps to run hence looking at a Mac that I believe can do it all.

Best to double-check the apps you want to run are supported though…

Use iPhone and iPad apps on Mac with Apple silicon

catfood
    Free Member

Got a MacBook Air M1, very impressed, use it for work photo editing, more than quick enough. Apple knocked 10% off to match John Lewis’s price, don’t ask, don’t get.

ahsat

Got an Air M2. Hardly use my iPad now, except for doing the Sainsbury order (don’t know why I still use it for that – just habit!).

easily
    Free Member

I have both. I use the iPad most, but if I could only have one it would be the MBA.

The iPad is great as it is instant, and it’s easier to carry around, but there are still things I much prefer to do with a laptop.

flannol
    Free Member

I have both. I use the iPad most, but if I could only have one it would be the MBA.

The iPad is great as it is instant, and it’s easier to carry around, but there are still things I much prefer to do with a laptop.

+1 this

i sometimes work at two finance companies and all their directors / management almost exclusively walk around with (if anything) iPad pro’s that have the keyboard case. Quite a stark contrast of equipment to the trading floors below. But I don’t think they do much work they just make tv appearances etc and take meetings. I feel work is much easier done on a proper terminal with a mouse! /anecdote

northernsoul

The iPad is great as it is instant

A new MacBook Air will have touch ID, so for most practical uses is as instant as an iPad (and you can also use predictive text if you want, in a similar manner to an iPad).

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks for the replies. This is a tough choice

franksinatra

Worth looking at buying second hand at Hoxton. Good savings and sold with warranty. I’m a happy customer.

dove1

I have an iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. It’s a very good combination but is essentially the same as using a laptop.

It’s about £1,300 for an 11” iPad Pro & Magic Keyboard, £1,750 for the 12.9” & Magic kb and £1,150 for the 13” M2 MBA (all 256GB). The MBA also has better battery life than the iPad Pros.

When the time comes to replace them I will get a MacBook Air.

andy8442
    Free Member

We have a couple of MacBook Air’s in the family and are excellent, that said the webcam is pants. I don’t know what the spec is, but they are appalling when compared to anything else including a 2010 iMac.

benpinnick

I cant say Ive had/tried the all singing iPad pro with keyboard etc. But as a Mac Air owner its a brilliant device, and start up is nigh on instant as long as you keep on top of the housekeeping.

stevious

We have a couple of MacBook Air’s in the family and are excellent, that said the webcam is pants

if you have iPhones it’s worth checking if your Mac supports continuity camera, which lets you use the phone as a webcam.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I have both. The iPad is used mostly for casual home use, but it is very good for showing images to clients and taking notes, annotating drawings on site etc. The MacBook Air is used for creating CAD stuff back in the studio/office.

comet

I’m self-employed and use a MacBook Air. I bought a new M2 chip one a few months ago and contrary to andy8442’s post above find the webcam to be very clear for on-line meetings.

Rubber_Buccaneer

OP back again, took in all the opinions and I went for a base model M2 Air. I’ve had it a couple of days now and it’s taken a bit of learning as I’ve never even used a Mac before but oh it is bliss having full Excel and getting back full browser functionality.

Best to double-check the apps you want to run are supported though…

You are right, a long way from comprehensive but I’m lucky it’s all workable for me. Just as well you prompted me to properly check

Thanks all

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.