Home Forums Bike Forum Converting a front wheel with centre lock disc to boost …anyone done it ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Converting a front wheel with centre lock disc to boost …anyone done it ?
  • dale
    Free Member

Accidentally bought a boost fork for a rigid Stache ! Now need a boost hub , can I use a centre lock converter then boost it ? Or is this the only centre lock converter ? https://r2-bike.com/NOW8-Conversion-Kit-Boost-Adapter-Front-Centerlock-15×110-Boost

dovebiker

What hub are you trying to ‘boost’? A Hope 135/142mm hub can be ‘boosted’ using longer spindle adaptors and spacers behind the disc

joebristol

Aren’t there 2 options – you either have a spacer each side and need a centrelock disc spacer thing, or you have a bigger spacer just on the right hand side and re-dish the wheel so it stays in there middle of your fork.

Think there’s an mrp solution and maybe a wolf tooth among others.

nixie

Joebristol your talking about 6-bolt hub conversions. I don’t think there is a conversion for centerlock hubs.

dale
    Free Member

think the hub is bontrager finding it difficult to find an adapter other than now8

joebristol

In which case I’m guessing you can only change it by spacing out the non disc side and redishing the wheel to suit

bri-72

2 things needed IMO. A bit faffy and will prob cost you£20-£30 for the parts needed.

1. A centre lock to 6 bolt adapter. Standard one doesn’t need to be boost (not sure boost conversion  version exists anyway)

2. A boost adapter kit. The 2 spacers go on the axle and the disc spacer goes on between the centre lock adapter and the disc.

dale
    Free Member

Thanks all come to the conclusion that a 10mm spacer non disc side and reddish  is the simplest/cheapest though finding that spacer…jtech will make me one for a tenner which is awesome leaving this for others in my situation

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, not sure if you can re-dish a wheel 10mm without replacing the spokes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You only need to move the rim 5mm and unless your spoke lengths are borderline already it should be fine. Mine is.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

OP plans to put a 10mm spacer on non drive side, so that means moving the rim 10mm, that’s why I’m not entirely sure spokes are reusable.

Not so much about being too short, but about being to long and not having enough thread left.

dale
    Free Member

Have thought about spokes and re dish and agree with Spaniard climber that running out of thread will be the issue but I won’t know until I try just need to get enough clearance for the tyre the double adapter/new disc option is close to a new hub price it’s why I was trying to get some real world feedback ,again thanks for the advice

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have done exactly this on a Stache 5 – it was rigid, I bought a set of Manitou Magnums that were boost and now run it with boost Revelations.

There’s no centrelock to 6 bolt adaptor that will let you run one of the kits with a spacer either side as the lockring for the 15mm axle covers the bolt heads, so you can’t space the rotor out 5mm to compensate for the spacer on each side.

That Now 8 kit didn’t exist when I did it – it looks neat but is pricey.

What you need is a single sided boost converter that moves the hub 10mm over to the disc side, but there obviously isn’t one for the Formula hub on the front of the Stache 5. I can’t see any on ebay anymore but MTB Tools used to do one. It’s not on their website anymore though.

What I ended up doing was buying one of these. I’ve used it for 2 years and it’s fine. For maximum bodge-ability I’ve wrapped some black plastic around it and put a jubilee clip over it so it doesn’t fall off. It cost £2.30 and has been flawless. I redished the wheel no problem, there’s no threads hanging out of the drive side and the disc side ones don’t have loads hanging out inside the rim.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-threaded-spacer-washer-15-mm-ID-10-mm-length-Galvanised-Mild-Steel/112514387266?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Rubber_Buccaneer

OP plans to put a 10mm spacer on non drive side, so that means moving the rim 10mm, that’s why I’m not entirely sure spokes are reusable.

10mm spacer on one side means the rim needs to move 5mm to be back in the centre.

Maybe think of it like this.  If you hold your non boost hub between the dropouts so the wheel is centred you have a 5mm gap each side.  You need to move the wheel 5mm to one side so you now have no gap on that side and a 10mm gap on the other to fit the spacer into.  Your rim has only moved 5mm from centre and this is what needs to be corrected with a re-dish.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

You’re absolutely right, I believe 5mm can be achieved reusing the spokes.

will probably give it a try!

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Did you try this mate ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Converting a front wheel with centre lock disc to boost …anyone done it ?’ is closed to new replies.