Home Forums Chat Forum Cloudbook or Chromebook – what's the difference?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cloudbook or Chromebook – what's the difference?
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

what do I need to know?

used for:
    Home browsing
    managing stuff online
    bits of spreadsheets and word processing

Choice of two from Tesco at £179
    Acer AO1, 11.6″, Cloudbook, Windows 10, Office 365 (1 year), Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, 32GB
    or
    Acer CB3-111, 11.6″, Laptop, Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, 16GB -Chromebook

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’d not heard of Cloudbooks before, but it sounds like they are basically Windows machines with some of the stuff they do offloaded to the cloud, notably storage from the spec above! I think they used to be called ‘netbooks’.

So it looks like it’s your usual Windows vs Chromebook debate, with the price difference reduced to make some of the compromises of Chromebooks look a bit less worth making.

That said, for what you’ve said you want it for a Chromebook would do fine.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Any idea if the Cloudbook will slow up over time? This is apparently the main reason for going with Chromebook.

Stoner
    Free Member

with windows on it, I’d place a hefty wager it will slow up over time.

MS can’t help themselves.

FYI all my chromebooks are as fast as the day they arrived. 2x different models, download update quietly in the background when needed, restart boot (7secs) to implement update. PoP.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bump for the late crowd..

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I’m a Windows fan – but then I do lots of stuff with a computer most people don’t. For most people’s requirements (which look much like those in the OP) a Chromebook is fine. Despite my preference, I’d go for the Chromebook out of the two you mention every time – no point having Windows if you’re going for the cloud model which Chromebooks work well with unless you really need to use something which is Windows only.

As always though, unless you need a new machine I’d recommend saving your pennies and going for a refurb:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-samsung-121-chromebook-106

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cloudbook or Chromebook – what's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.