Home Forums Bike Forum Clear riding glasses – Recommend me some

• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by b33k34.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Clear riding glasses – Recommend me some
    jamesmio
    Free Member

Currently sitting in A&E waiting for someone to look at my swollen seeping *fly-bashed eyeball so seemed like as good a time as any to get something sorted.

I’ve tried the usual cheap safety specs and they’re ok. But invariably not that comfortable after a while. Tried a cheapish pair of Madison’s (£20ish) which were slightly better but fiddly, nose grip fell off mid ride and steamed up.

Not looking for sunglasses, got those. What’s decent for clear lens, typical grey South Scottish day time riding conditions?

For reference, Oakley Holbrook are my favourite sunnies.

(* Not for the first time either, last time was on the motorbike, something snuck into the tiny gap in my visor).

Kahurangi
    Tracey

Oakley Jawbreaker with Prizm low light lenses. I also have a clear lens but never needed to use it yet

burntembers
    Tracey

I always ride in full frames after seeing some one crash in Verbier and slice their cheek open on some Half Jackets

defblade
    Free Member

I use photochromatic ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077GKK11Z

They respond pretty quickly when heading under trees, etc; I had to take them off once going into a tunnel as the complete dark was too much.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Decathlon rock rider good for me.

+1. Or actually plus 6 since I always buy a stack of them each time. I break and lose too many to buy expensive ones

matt_outandabout

I always ride in full frames after seeing some one crash in Verbier and slice their cheek open on some Half Jackets

I’ve seen similar.

I’m a big Julbo fan, just got myself a pair of Reactiv lensed Renegades.

I see they do low light / clear lenses in Edge and Fury models.

pothead
    Free Member

Oakley Jawbreaker with Prizm low light lenses.

+1 for these^^^^^

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m with Tracey on this. Full frame Oakley with a Prism lens to suit, like the Prizm Low Light. I think the Jawbreaker is now called the the Racing Jacket after a lawsuit with another wearables company.

grahamt1980

Prizm low light or prizm clear in either my flak 2.0 or radars

Davesport

Pyramex Proximity safety glasses. After years of trying different safety glasses these are the best by a huge margin. Anti scratch, an anti fog coating that works & a removable foam seal/cushion.

https://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/product/eye-protection/safety-glasses/pyramex-proximity-foam-sealed-safety-glasses/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Further to my previous comment, Tracey said jawbreaker. I was thinking of the jawbone which was renamed to racing jacket. Both good glasses.

Northwind

+1 here for rockriders- they need a demist treatment ime but a quick spray of visorproof makes them as good as anything is. They scratch fairly easily but that’s OK, they cost £4. I’ve got some nice riding glasses but I basically never wear them.

StirlingCrispin

What’s decent for clear lens, typical grey South Scottish day time riding conditions?

Like today?

Melon Optic Alleycats with Low Light lens.

That’s what I’ll be wearing today. Very light tint, but so light you can wear them at night.

The only glasses that don’t spend their life in my back pocket.

pothead
    Free Member

. I think the Jawbreaker is now called the the Racing Jacket after a lawsuit with another wearables company.

I have a pair of Racing Jackets that I used before I bought the Jawbreakers and now use for driving with black iridium lens and unless something has changed lately they are different. The Racing Jackets have two separate lens while Jawbreakers are a one piece lens and are far better for riding in my experience

easily
    Free Member

https://planetx.co.uk/products/carnac-equipe-v2-cat-0-3-photochromic-sunglasses-stealth-black

I always rec these – I don’t know why they’re not more popular. As it’s Planet x you always wait for a sale of course. At the moment they are 60% off – which if I’ve calculated properly makes them £18.

Melon Optic Alleycats with Low Light lens.

That’s what I’ll be wearing today. Very light tint, but so light you can wear them at night

I’ve just bought a low light lens for my Alleycats and can confirm it’s very good.

Not used at night yet, but wore on a gloomy ride last weekend and the clarity is excellent

Conan257
    Free Member

I’ve used my (prescription) Oakley Valve glasses for over 20 years, nosepads becomes an issue with old Oakley’s if you have the intention of keeping them going for a long time. The do last well, however!

I’ve recently bought some Kapvoe glasses with the intention of riding them with prescription inserts, but am giving contact lenses a shot. They feel like they’re made of some kind of plastic that Oakley would put a really expensive name on. Fit nice to my “only-oakleys-seem-to-fit-well” shaped face, have no major gaps for mud or badgers to get through. Under £10 direct from the country that makes them.

ready

Been using some old safety specs I “borrowed” from my last employer 6 years ago.  I’ve just ordered some of these from Banana Industries.  Good price, and 3 different lenses.  I have a rather strange shaped large head so will see how they feel and report back!

Banoptics Performance Eyewear, riding, hiking, driving

silentgrunt

Gone for a pair of these – https://planetx.co.uk/products/carnac-equipe-v2-cat-0-3-photochromic-sunglasses-stealth-black

Cheers for the recommendation easily.

I always rec these – I don’t know why they’re not more popular

Because they are fugly?

nickc

Oakley Jawbreaker with Prizm low light lenses.

Is my choice also

Gone for a pair of these

Hate to say, they’re not particularly photo-chromic – It might be the pair I have, and I guess they’re clear so not entirely useless, but they’ve never even slightly darkened in use – not even in crazy bright sunlight.

b33k34

For reference, Oakley Holbrook are my favourite sunnies.

Another vote here for prizm lowlight lenses. However, if you like Holbrook, why not get a set of prescription Holbrook which you can pick up really cheaply with a clear “Fashion”  lens. 66 quid.

https://mojoglasses.com/?s=holbrook

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.