• This topic has 338 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 339 total)
  • ChatGPT? On the cusp of a revolution, or just a fancy toy?
  • oldnpastit

There’s been a lot of excitement on twitter about this new ChatGPT AI.

https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/

Maybe it’s because I’m an old duffer, but I’m not convinced.

I asked it:

can an airplane take off on a conveyor belt

And it said:

No, an airplane cannot take off on a conveyor belt because a conveyor belt does not provide the necessary lift and thrust to allow an airplane to become airborne. In order for an airplane to take off, it needs to have enough speed to generate lift from its wings and enough thrust from its engines to overcome the force of gravity. A conveyor belt does not have the ability to provide the necessary lift and thrust for an airplane to take off.

I think it’s just a giant regular expression pattern matcher that has been fed an awful lot of garbage.

scaredypants

preferred chatroulette 🍌🤛🤪

Cougar

I think it’s just a giant regular expression pattern matcher that has been fed an awful lot of garbage.

I think you just described the forum.

zilog6128

I asked it the same question, and it said:

In theory, an airplane could potentially take off from a conveyor belt if the conveyor belt was moving at the same speed as the airplane’s takeoff speed and the plane was on a level surface. However, this scenario is highly unlikely to happen in practice because conveyor belts are not designed to move at high speeds, and they are not typically used on level surfaces. Additionally, the friction between the conveyor belt and the airplane’s tires would make it difficult for the airplane to gain enough speed to take off. In short, it would not be possible for an airplane to take off on a conveyor belt.

And then I asked

add seven bananas to 23 bananas and then divide by 3

And it replied

To add seven bananas to 23 bananas, you would simply add the numbers 7 and 23 to get a total of 30 bananas. To then divide this number by 3, you would simply divide 30 by 3 to get 10. So, if you start with 23 bananas and add 7 bananas, then divide the total by 3, you would end up with 10 bananas.

I dunno, I’m pretty impressed 😂

leffeboy

Have you asked it what singletrackworld does with bombers and baby robins yet?

zilog6128

It didn’t know about singletrackworld or have an opinion on bombers or baby robins. I asked it about some other STW staples and suffice to say I think we are on different wavelengths 😂

It is not recommended to hammer frozen sausages into a lawn, as this could damage the sausages and the lawn. Frozen sausages should be thawed before being cooked or eaten, and it is not advisable to hammer them into any surface. Additionally, hammering objects into a lawn can cause damage to the grass and soil, potentially harming the health of the lawn. It is best to handle and cook food in a safe and appropriate manner, and to avoid damaging your lawn or other property.

It is not acceptable to urinate in someone’s shoes. Urinating in someone’s shoes is a disrespectful and inappropriate act that can cause harm to the person’s property and can potentially be a health hazard. It is important to respect other people’s belongings and personal space, and to use the bathroom in a responsible and hygienic manner. If you need to use the bathroom, it is best to find a designated restroom or other appropriate location.

leffeboy

Who would have thought that frozen sausages and lawns would make such a great Turing test question

oldnpastit

OK, it has some neat tricks, but I wonder to what extent it understands what it is doing.

Which is grammatically correct: “do you have a link for its documentation” or “do you have a link for it’s documentation” ?

The grammatically correct phrase is “do you have a link for its documentation”. This is because “its” is a possessive pronoun that is used to show ownership or possession. In this case, it is used to indicate that the documentation belongs to the ec2Instance object. “It’s”, on the other hand, is a contraction of “it is” or “it has”. This contraction should not be used to indicate possession.

doris5000

I’ve been having loads of fun. I’m not a web dev but I made a couple of small internal webpages, and one of them has had a minor bug that’s been irritating me for months. I asked ChatGPT and it told me it was a Chrome rendering issue and suggested better code, which I just copied and pasted in. Took 2 minutes!

Then I asked it to explain why Shrewsbury Town are the greatest football team of all time and it crashed 🙁

But not before I asked it to write a song called “MrsDoris Is Watching The Football When She’s Supposed To Be Working” in the style of The Beatles

zilog6128

but I wonder to what extent it understands what it is doing.

if you’re asking, “has it achieved sentience?” then yes, I’d say it’s passed the Turing Test 😀

oldnpastit

if you’re asking, “has it achieved sentience?” then yes, I’d say it’s passed the Turing Test

I didn’t want to hurt its feelings by flat out saying it’s not sentient.

Anyway:

What is brown and sticky?

There are many things that could be described as brown and sticky, but one common example is tree sap. Tree sap is a thick, sticky substance that is produced by trees to seal wounds and provide nourishment to the tree. It is often brown in color and can be quite sticky to the touch. Other things that could be described as brown and sticky include molasses, honey, and some types of glue.

Its sense of humour is impressively deadpan.

thepurist

There’s one simple question that will determine whether it can be compared to a normal well adjusted human or if it is indeed stuck in some rigid mechanised, slightly uneasy way of thinking.

“Cream or jam first?”

trickydisco
    Free Member

Superficial
    Free Member

Urgh what an awful invention. It’s like arguing with the worst kind of confidently-incorrect internet folk.

willard

That chat AI needs an account here. Then we can get it into a thread with some of the big hitters and sit back.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

That chat AI needs an account here.

Amongst other things, it could well have already been trained using singletrackworld (argh!). There’s going to be quite a confusing and possibly worrying feedback loop if the next iteration has been trained on whatever it’s posted on internet forums, along with the subsequent answers.

There’s also a lot of issues with copyright and rights ownership, which the government has dealt with by removing all rights whatsoever for content posted online which is then used to train AI’s (another brexit bonus!)
    Gov link
    “The Government has decided to introduce a new copyright and database exception which allows TDM for any purpose”
    (TDM – Text and Data Minining)
    The same issues exist with Dall-e and other generative AI’s.

oldnpastit

That chat AI needs an account here. Then we can get it into a thread with some of the big hitters and sit back.

What makes you think it hasn’t already got one?

Perhaps now would be a good time for the mods to come clean.

How many of the so-called “big hitters” are even real people?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maybe this whole thread is an AI conversation. Have you ever actually seen a real person posting on an internet forum in real life? I haven’t. I’m just on a computer typing stuff. This entire thing could be fake. Would certainly explain that dishwasher thread.

bikesandboots

It’s mastered the art of confidently bullshitting while being mostly correct and not obviously incorrect.

If we trained it on the STW forum database, I wonder how it’d do responding to the countless what tyre/jacket/whatever threads.

dthom3uk

I said to it ‘Rewrite the nativity but in the style of Donald Trump who thinks its all a fraud’

It gave me:

‘Okay, so let me tell you about this nativity thing. It’s a total fraud, folks. I mean, come on. A virgin birth? Give me a break. And this guy, Joseph, he’s supposed to be the father? He’s a nobody. And then there’s this wise man who shows up with gifts. I mean, who are these guys? They’re not even from this country. And the whole thing takes place in a barn? A barn, folks. I mean, can you believe it? It’s all just fake news, trust me. And the whole thing is a total disaster for the economy. I mean, think about it. The innkeeper probably lost a ton of business because of all these people showing up. It’s a total mess, folks. And I’m telling you, it’s all just a big scam. Don’t believe it. Trust me.’

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve never used Twitter – so balls to what ever the hell ChatGPT is

oldnpastit
    oldnpastit

When building a wheel, how do I get the logo on the hub to line up with the valve hole?

When building a wheel, it can be important to ensure that the logo on the hub is aligned with the valve hole in the rim, as this can affect the overall appearance of the wheel. Here are a few steps you can follow to achieve this alignment:

Install the spoke holes in the hub:

Begin by installing the spoke holes in the hub, making sure that they are properly aligned with the hub flanges.

Install the spokes:

Next, install the spokes in the hub and rim, making sure to maintain proper tension and spoke patterns.

Install the rim:

After the spokes have been installed, mount the rim onto the hub.

Align the logo:

Once the rim is mounted, use a ruler or straight edge to measure the distance from the valve hole to the hub logo.
    If the distance is not equal on both sides of the wheel, adjust the spoke tension as needed to bring the logo into alignment with the valve hole.

It may also be helpful to use a truing stand or other wheel-building tools to ensure that the wheel is properly dished and round. Proper alignment of the hub logo with the valve hole can add to the overall aesthetics of the wheel and can be a satisfying accomplishment for the wheel builder.

oldnpastit

Typically when buying a hub they come pre-drilled.

Yes, that is correct. Hubs are typically sold with pre-drilled holes for the spokes. These holes are designed to accommodate a specific number of spokes and a specific spoke pattern, which can vary depending on the hub and the intended use of the wheel. For example, a hub designed for a road bike wheel may have a different number of spoke holes and a different spoke pattern than a hub designed for a mountain bike wheel.

When building a wheel, it is important to match the hub with a rim that is compatible in terms of spoke holes and spoke pattern. The spoke holes in the rim should match the spoke holes in the hub, and the spoke pattern should be followed correctly to ensure that the wheel is properly tensioned and dished.

It is also important to consider the spacing of the hub when selecting a rim. The hub and rim must have compatible spacing to ensure that the wheel can be properly assembled. For example, a hub with a 100 mm front spacing will not work with a rim designed for a 135 mm spacing.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the hub and rim combination when building a wheel to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.

desperatebicycle

My son asked it one of his Uni questions a few weeks back. It answered it pretty well, could even specify how many words… it just couldn’t do the refences part, so he abandoned it. Apparently there is AI developed to recognise AI written stuff, so best to rewrite slightly 🙂

oldnpastit

OK, so now I’m worried that I bought a pair of DT Swiss rims, one for the front and one for the rear, and when I built the wheels, I might have had them swapped over.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

jj

jimdubleyou

It’s awesome at refactoring SQL for you.

oldnpastit

Please give an example of a spoonerism involving bikes.

A spoonerism is a type of word play in which the initial sounds or letters of two or more words are swapped to create a new phrase. Here is an example of a spoonerism involving bikes:

“The weight of the bike took the rider by surprise, causing him to fling his legs over his handlebars and crash to the ground.”

This phrase could be turned into a spoonerism as follows:

“The height of the dike caught the flyer by surprise, causing him to cling his legs over his stablehand and rash to the mound.”

Ewan
    Free Member

It is excellent at giving you a python code or a strong hint on what to google on stack exchange.

zilog6128

It’s awesome at refactoring SQL for you.

yeah, been playing around a bit and I’ve gone from “amusing toy with loads of potential” to “holy shit this is gamechanging” 😂

It’s excellent at churning out blocks of code/regex/templates etc. In my capacity as a hobby programmer, I probably use a dozen or more different languages/syntaxes, some very rarely so most of the actual time for a task is googling and re-aquainting myself with the correct syntax as they are often slightly different between languages etc & I cannot remember which is which!

Not only can you just specify what you want ChatGPT to do in natural language (and it writes the code/expression for you) it actually explains what it is doing and why so it helps you to learn, plus you can ask it follow up questions to explain stuff further or tweak the code.

Really, really clever.

zilog6128

been playing around a bit and I’ve gone from “amusing toy with loads of potential” to “holy shit this is gamechanging”

It’s excellent at churning out blocks of code/regex/templates etc. In my capacity as a hobby programmer, I probably use a dozen or more different languages/syntaxes, some very rarely so most of the actual time for a task is googling and re-aquainting myself with the correct syntax as they are often slightly different between languages etc & I cannot remember which is which!

Not only can you just specify what you want ChatGPT to do in natural language (and it writes the code/expression for you) it actually explains what it is doing and why so it helps you to learn, plus you can ask it follow up questions to explain stuff further or tweak the code.

Really, really clever.

dazh

been playing around a bit and I’ve gone from “amusing toy with loads of potential” to “holy shit this is gamechanging”

Me too. It just generated me a dockerfile and sample python code for running an obscure energy modelling package which I’ve no experience with. Mrs Daz was sceptical that it could do her job so I asked it to generate an example social work assessment for someone in a care home with dementia and it did just that.

oldnpastit

This shows something of the dark side of this giant plagiarism accelerator if you are at all trying to make a living from creative writing:

https://chaser.com.au/uncategorized/why-the-chaser-is-going-to-put-up-a-paywall/

I’m tempted to ask it to write an article about mountain biking for a popular cycling website and see if I can get it into the magazine.

zilog6128

This shows something of the dark side of this giant plagiarism accelerator if you are at all trying to make a living from creative writing:

the vast majority of online content is formulaic, derivative, or just plain copy-pasted. The Onion/Daily Mash/etc has essentially just been re-writing the same article forever. Absolutely no reason an AI can’t do as good or better job.

I’m tempted to ask it to write an article about mountain biking for a popular cycling website

Something like FGF – which is just regurgitating press-releases – absolutely could be done by an AI. Frees up more time for riding bikes, what’s not to like 😂

seabadger

Write a 500 word article in the style of singletrack magazine about a gravel bike trip with hans rey, Steve peat and chewbacca on the ice planet hoth. Include some imaginary dialogue between them.

Gravel biking is quickly becoming a popular way to explore the great outdoors, and what better way to do it than with two legends of the mountain biking world and a beloved Star Wars character? Recently, I had the opportunity to join Hans Rey, Steve Peat, and Chewbacca on a gravel bike trip to the ice planet Hoth.

As we set out on our journey, the cold winds of Hoth whipped around us, biting at our noses and ears. But with the help of our warm gear and trusty gravel bikes, we were ready to tackle whatever the planet had in store for us.

“I can’t believe we’re actually here on Hoth, riding our bikes through the frozen tundra,” I said, marveling at the stunning landscape around us.

“I know, it’s pretty incredible,” Hans replied. “And the best part is, with these gravel bikes, we can go almost anywhere.”

As we rode, we couldn’t help but be in awe of the towering glaciers and snow-capped mountains that surrounded us. It was a truly otherworldly experience, made all the more special by the fact that we were experiencing it on two wheels.

But as with any adventure, we encountered a few challenges along the way. At one point, our path was blocked by a group of fierce wampas, native to Hoth.

“What do we do now?” I asked, a bit nervously.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this,” Steve said, pulling out his blaster. “I may not be as skilled a shot as Han Solo, but I can hold my own against a few wampas.”

With a few well-placed shots, Steve managed to fend off the creatures and clear a path for us to continue.

“Thanks, Steve,” I said, grateful for his quick thinking.

“No problem,” he replied with a grin. “Just another day on the trails.”

As the day went on, we rode through some of the most breathtaking and remote locations I had ever seen. At one point, we even came across a group of tauntauns, the loyal and hardy creatures native to Hoth.

“Hey, look at that,” Hans pointed out. “We should try to ride along with them. It’ll be a fun challenge.”

And so, we set off in pursuit of the tauntauns, trying our best to keep up with their sure-footed movements as we navigated the rocky terrain.

“This is amazing!” I exclaimed, exhilarated by the ride.

“I told you it would be a blast,” Hans replied, a huge grin on his face.

As the day came to a close and we set up camp for the night, we sat around the fire, sharing stories of our adventures and the excitement of the day.

“I can’t believe we got to ride our bikes on an actual ice planet,” I said, still in disbelief.

“And with a Wookiee, no less,” Steve added, gesturing towards Chewbacca.

Chewbacca let out a satisfied growl, clearly happy to have been a part of the adventure.

As we settled in for the night, I couldn’t help but feel grateful for the opportunity to experience such a unique and memorable trip with such skilled and adventurous companions. Gravel biking on the ice planet Hoth was an experience I would never forget.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

🙂
    So that’s why Hannah is going to Swindon. The machines have taken over.

zilog6128

this is my version from the same request: (the way it knows about other Star Wars related stuff, Han Solo & Endor etc and inserts them in is really cool!)

Gravel biking on the ice planet Hoth with Hans Rey, Steve Peat, and Chewbacca

As I stood on the frozen tundra of Hoth, surrounded by jagged ice formations and howling winds, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of excitement and adventure. I was about to embark on a gravel biking trip with none other than Hans Rey, the legendary mountain biker, Steve Peat, a downhill mountain biking world champion, and Chewbacca, a Wookiee warrior from the planet Kashyyyk.

“Are you ready for this?” Hans asked as he unzipped his bag and pulled out his trusty gravel bike.

“I was born ready,” Steve chuckled as he checked the air pressure in his tires.

Chewbacca let out a fierce roar as he hoisted his own bike onto his back and started to make his way towards the trail.

We set off on our journey, the frigid air biting at our faces as we rode over the rocky, uneven terrain. Despite the challenges, the three of us were having the time of our lives, pushing ourselves to the limits and enjoying the adrenaline rush that comes with tackling new trails.

As we rode, we couldn’t help but marvel at the stunning beauty of Hoth. The ice-covered landscape stretched out before us, dotted with towering glaciers and snow-capped mountains. We rode through winding valleys and over frozen rivers, the crunch of our tires against the icy ground the only sound besides the howling wind.

Despite the harsh conditions, Hans, Steve, and Chewbacca were in their element. Their skills on the bike were truly unparalleled, as they deftly navigated over obstacles and descended steep drops with ease. I, on the other hand, was struggling to keep up, my teeth chattering and my fingers numb from the cold.

“Come on, don’t give up now!” Hans called out to me. “We’ve got a long way to go.”

I gritted my teeth and pedaled harder, determined to keep up with the group.

As the day wore on, we stopped for a break to refuel and warm up. We huddled around a small fire, sipping on hot beverages and telling stories of our adventures on the trails.

“Remember that time we rode through the jungle on Endor?” Steve chuckled as he took a sip of his coffee.

“That was nothing compared to this,” Hans replied. “The trails on Hoth are like nothing I’ve ever ridden before.”

Chewbacca let out a triumphant roar, clearly enjoying the challenge of the icy terrain.

As the sun started to set, we reluctantly packed up our things and prepared to continue on our journey. The temperature was dropping rapidly, and we knew we had to make it to our campsite before it got too dark.

We rode through the night, the beams of our headlamps cutting through the darkness. Despite the fatigue setting in, we were determined to make it to our destination.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, we arrived at our campsite. We quickly set up our tents and huddled around a warm fire, grateful for the chance to rest and warm up.

As we sat there, sipping on hot cocoa and reflecting on the day’s adventure, I couldn’t help but feel grateful to be sharing this experience with such incredible friends. Gravel biking on Hoth may have been one of the toughest challenges I’ve ever faced, but it was also one of the most rewarding. I can’t wait to see what other adventures lie ahead with Hans, Steve, and Chewbacca by my side.

Ewan
    Free Member

Really, really clever.

Spot on. I’d happily pay for it – it’s taught me how to manipulate geotiffs in python!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.