Home Forums Chat Forum Chancel insurance – can you arrange it yourself?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chancel insurance – can you arrange it yourself?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Buying a house and looks like I will need Chancel insurance.

The solicitors are quoting £104, we I think contains a hefty arrangement fee.

I have tried google, but the only broker I find deal with law firms only.

Anyone managed to arrange their own?

sam_underhill

Can the church really force you to pay up? What if you don’t follow that religion. Tell them to go forth and prosper?

Stoner
    Free Member

I will need Chancel insurance

you sure? Sounds like a grand house 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/home-buying-chancel-repair-insurance-rip-off

sam_underhill

Seems like they might be able to. Super Lame. But, useful change coming in 2013 according to Wikipedia

tracknicko
    Free Member

we were ‘at risk’ never bought it, none of my neighbours have it either.

no word from the god squad yet, but i lay in bed at night wide awake with fear.

get serious mate. unless you are buying a house in an obvious place (church yard for example) then you’re probably safe.

it would make headline news if they ever actually tried it on.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh i’ve seen that one, and the one from the guardian in 2009. the cheeky insurance pushing **** even printed them off for me and posted them to our house!!!

so that’s two relatively old, farm/big houses on obviously separate plots out of a nation of what 25 million houses?

massive, massive con working on fear, and the basis that most people will go, ahh its only 2-300 its small change in comparion to the house cost…

ourmaninthenorth

The solicitors are quoting £104, we I think contains a hefty arrangement fee.

You are their client. Ask them if they are being paid for arranging the cover – bear in mind that there are strict rules on lawyers about the receipt of commissions and similar payments.

tracknicko
    Free Member

we found it for as low as £15, for what they had previously offered us for £300.

STILL didn’t take it.

konagirl
    Free Member

Our solicitor also quoted around £100. We didn’t take it. As far as I am aware, the cases above were significant landowners, which is why the Church asked them to provide. If the Church wanted to request funds in this way from its less-well-off parisheners, my understanding is that it would have to ask everyone else in your parish to contribute for fairness and as such, you would be splitting the cost over every home in the village, weighted by the area of land they own. So even if they started to recoup costs in this way, which is extremely unlikely, you would only be looking at a fraction of the costs incurred by the Church. We saw it as a risk worth taking. But your Solicitor is supposed to be acting on your behalf and as such he should be giving you honest advice about how likely the Church are to claim and what the consequences of that would be. Like OMITN says…

tracknicko
    Free Member

as above. look at where you live. we are on the outskirts of a city but it is still HEAVILY populated compared to the two token news stories the insurers send out.

i think if they tired to charge half of the north west side of sheffield money to fix a church roof there might be some kind of resistance from the locals…

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’ve got no choice. The mortgage company have stipulated it as a requirement.

No insurance no mortgage.

tracknicko
    Free Member

then hunt around. £15 as i said was cheapest we found.

winston_dog
    Free Member

tracknicko – do you know who provided yours?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chancel insurance – can you arrange it yourself?’ is closed to new replies.