Home Forums Chat Forum Can I use bathroom silicon sealant externally?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can I use bathroom silicon sealant externally?
  • IHN

I’m attaching a piece of aluminium awning rail to the roof of my van. I’m bolting it to the mounts for roof rails, but I want to seal around it to make sure there’s no water ingress.

I have some silicon bathroom sealant like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sanitary-silicone-clear-310ml/88317

can I use that? I’m thinking that in the summer it’s going to be in a pretty hot and UV-heavy environment on the van roof, so I don’t want it to deteriorate and start letting water in.

choppersquad
    Free Member

They do exterior silicone for exterior windows etc so I would definitely think that would be more weatherproof?

vorlich
    Free Member

For the sake of the £5-6 for a tube of stuff specifically formulated for exterior use, why risk it?

AdamT

Dunno if it’s ok for your application, but it’s a great alternative to thread lock (I ran out of loctite and needed to finish a build)

martinhutch

it’s a great alternative to thread lock

:-) Have you tried to remove or replace any of them yet?

IHN

For the sake of the £5-6 for a tube of stuff specifically formulated for exterior use, why risk it?

Don’t be coming round here with your common sense advice :-)

geoffj

Sikaflex 512 Caravan Adhesive & Sealant for Caravans, Motor Homes & Trailers

Is what you should use

Blazin-saddles

Use sikaflex or tiger seal. Silicone will discolour in uv and also contains sodium, which if on painted surface, shouldn’t be a problem but on raw metal can cause rust/corrosion.

dave28
    Free Member

ct1, i use it on my vanits holding the roof on . i have also used it underwater and it holds very well, the the white and the black have a better bonding strength than the the clear

Bear
    Free Member

Second ct1

IHN

Just to be clear, it doesn’t need to be strong, as it’s not holding anything on, the rail will be bolted on. It’s purely a sealant to stop water getting in around the bolt holes on the roof.

Bear
    Free Member

Still CT1, its a great sealant too.

jonba
    Free Member

Use an exterior sealant. Bathroom sealant is t designed for outdoor use so will fail prematurely. They’ll be external versions in the DIY sheds

scotroutes

I did this job just two weeks ago and used this stuff…

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/weather-mate

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get stuff specially made for caravans etc. Go to a caravan dealer, you’ll be amazed at all the specalist stuff you can get.

I’d be using the rail sealant that comes in a strip – much much easier to use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can I use bathroom silicon sealant externally?’ is closed to new replies.