Home Forums Bike Forum Can 11 speed chain run on a 12 speed Shimano chain ring?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can 11 speed chain run on a 12 speed Shimano chain ring?
  • concrete24
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Do we think 12 speed (1x) Shimano chain rings are able to run 11 speed chains OK?
    Reason for asking is that I am planning a new build and will need a new crank set (boost). I can’t afford to go full 12 speed at the moment – but want to future proof myself by going for XT or SLX 12 speed cranks and ring for now and run the rest of my 11 speed kit (if possible). Then I can upgrade the rest as it wears out.
    Thanks!

taxi25
    Free Member

Doing that myself at the moment. It works fine.

joemmo
    Free Member

You probably don’t need a new chainset just a boost offset chainring

concrete24
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies both. The current cranks are my old XT M785 (was 2x) using a 104bcd. (I can just about get away with them if I restrict myself to non-oval 32t but anything bigger and I will get issues with clearance and chain line). I’ll see if I can find a boost offset chain ring to fit the 104 bcd….

tthew

Unless the 11 speed kit is quite new, it’s not going to work well with a new chainring. Even if it doesn’t skip, it will increase wear on the chainring so that’ll be knacked when the 11 speed stuff comes to upgrade.

Just bite the bullet and do it all now.

concrete24
    Free Member

Unless the 11 speed kit is quite new, it’s not going to work well with a new chainring. Even if it doesn’t skip, it will increase wear on the chainring so that’ll be knacked when the 11 speed stuff comes to upgrade.

Just bite the bullet and do it all now.

I agree with the sentiment. However, can’t stretch the budget to that right now. Plan is to build the bike up over the coming months as and when I can afford bits. If I can use the 11 speed stuff, then the bike can be finished this year – otherwise, it will have to wait until after Christmas. The 11 speed has done about 600 miles – all looks OK at the moment – chain is not stretched, but I will replace anyway as it is too short. If 11 speed works, I will run it into the ground – don’t mind a sacrificial SLX chain ring for that!

I appreciate the advice though – it would be the ideal way to do it, probably not much to lose trying the 11 speed first though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Don’t forget that if you want to run Shimano 12 speed you will need to factor in a new rear freehub or complete wheel . You could run 11 speed with a Sunrace 11-50 casette which has virtually the same range , give or take the 1 tooth on the biggest and smallest sprockets , as the Shimano 12 speed .

concrete24
    Free Member

Thanks – yes i’m coming from 26” so sadly I need some new wheels too! I’m trying to hedge bets here too – probably get a Shimano 11 speed freewheel on a DT Swiss hub knowing it’s not too painful to upgrade the freewheel later. That gives me more secondhand options too if it comes to it. Final decision on the drive train will decide the hub and wheel choice in the end.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can 11 speed chain run on a 12 speed Shimano chain ring?’ is closed to new replies.