Home Forums Chat Forum Brittany Ferries – book with or without roofbox?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brittany Ferries – book with or without roofbox?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m about to book a ferry crossing for next year and don’t yet know if we’ll need the roofbox or not, are we better to book with and cancel if we don’t need it or book without and add it if we do? Is one option likely to be more expensive / more hassle than the other?

allthegear
    Free Member

If you turn up without one, it’s fairly unlikely they will make a big deal about it. The other way around? Are you feeling lucky?

Rachel

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry, what I meant is should I book with a roofbox and try to cancel / get refund if we don’t need it or book without the roofbox and add it to the booking / pay the fee if we do?

ElShalimo

It may depend on the boat too. We went on the fast Portsmouth-Cherbourg ferry last month and all vehicles over 6ft were charged extra and most had to reverse on, even normal cars like a Scenic with a roofbox.

JEngledow
    Free Member

It may depend on the boat too. We went on the fast Portsmouth-Cherbourg ferry last month and all vehicles over 6ft were charged extra and most had to reverse on, even normal cars like a Scenic with a roofbox.

That’s the crossing I’m hoping to book, so likely to be more of an issue then!

richardk
    Free Member

You may find they have limited space for the high vehicles – I’d book with it included because you’ll always have that space.  Book without it, you may find they can’t fit you in when you try and add it.

ElShalimo

@JEngledow – we were in a 2.85m high motorhome so knew about the reversing but my brother had an issue with his 4×4 pickup and got charged extra due to having roof rails when booking! So you’re better safe than sorry.

Top tip – avoid the croissants, they’re disgusting, as is the coffee!  How a French company can serve up such appalling food is beyond me.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll play it safe and book with roofbox – Thanks all.

Top tip – avoid the croissants, they’re disgusting, as is the coffee!  How a French company can serve up such appalling food is beyond me.

I also find it bizarre that it’s cheaper if you pay in GBP rather than Euros on Brittany Ferries (due the weird exchange rate they use)

PePPeR

If you want 10% discount you can use my regular traveller number Russell-Brookes F018BT

click the friends button to get your discount. 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Hedge your bets now and if your plans change then change your order with them. we’ve done it before and it really is no bother.

andrewh
    Free Member

How big is it? Book without and just put it on the seats once the people are out if necessary? Steam Packet let my passengers on with the foot passengers to get to the bar early, would be room for it inside if Brittany do the same.

kjcc25
    Free Member

My son turned up with a roof box, for the Porstmouth crossing, having not included it in the booking, they charged him the extra before letting him on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Brittany Ferries – book with or without roofbox?’ is closed to new replies.