• This topic has 13,626 replies, 208 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by BruceWee.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 13,627 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • molgrips
    Free Member

They’ll be sorry they forgot about us’

He was talking about the NE of england where I live.

The EU were actually investing in the NE:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/what-european-union-ever-done-11480870

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There’s a whole generation of people brain washed

At least two generations. It takes more than one to get to this stage? The brainwashing/tabloidism has been going in for at least 50 years. It’s as if England became addicted to WW2 rhetoric and then forgot that it wasn’t a tually such a great thing.

matt_outandabout

While there are many reasons for this, it’s worrying we’re so in debt.
    With Brexshit surely going to dent our economy more through increased costs, redtape and disruption, it’s going to be painful.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53859299

dannyh
    Free Member

While there are many reasons for this, it’s worrying we’re so in debt.
    With Brexshit surely going to dent our economy more through increased costs, redtape and disruption, it’s going to be painful.

What price ‘sovrunty’?

Apart from the fact that most Brexies wouldn’t be able to spell it, and haven’t got the first clue what it really means.

Blue passports?

dannyh
    Free Member

addicted to WW2 rhetoric

Addicted to the past, and a heavily airbrushed version at that.

Surely the mark of a doomed country.

matt_outandabout

Blue passports?

Worth every penny of £2,000,000,000,000.

dannyh
    Free Member

My builder yesterday was saying that ‘We’ll show them all, that lot in brussels. They’ll be sorry they forgot about us’

He was talking about the NE of england where I live.

Bloke working in a manual profession in the NE blames the EU for whatever he perceives is ‘wrong’ in his life?

I asked him if it wasn’t more likely Maggie that created the feeling of being forgotten… His response – ‘Well at least she’d have told them where to go.’ (The EU that is)

Presumably, then, he also voted Tory in December?

Then, unfortunately, your builder is a thick ****er.

Hope his brickwork is better than his grasp of politics.

binners

The latest update from Brussels on this shitshow…

Brexit trade talks actually ‘going backwards’, warns EU’s Michel Barnier

It looks like they’ve given up even pretending they’re trying to reach a negotiated deal. As has looked increasingly obvious, it’s a No Deal crash out, and all the economic devastation involved,`

The priority is Dom and Dommers disaster capitalist funders making their billions out of selling us all down the river

torsoinalake
    Free Member

it’s worrying we’re so in debt

Yes, but we’re in the shit here. So debt is something to worry about when we are out of the shit.

kelvin

“…excepts this reality…”

When did reality, and realistic expectations and requirements, start to be an issue?

frankconway

kelvin – totally predictable; immediately following the referendum I posted on a much earlier thread and elsewhere that the EU27 had absolutely no incentive to co-operate as they held all the cards including negotiating capability.
    So here we are – a faded post-colonial country with delusional aspirations, a shot economy, government with little ability and even less vision; johnson and his clown circus still think we *deserve* a deal and the EU should accede to their demands.
    It’s like an adult looking contemptuously at a child having a tantrum.

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, we’ve certainly got a stake in the US election, that’s for sure.

A **** like Trump is not who we want in the White House when we’ve got our pants around our ankles….

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s like an adult looking contemptuously at a child having a tantrum.

I can’t think of a better metaphor for how the EU must view ‘us’. The rest of the world are the other parents and kids chuckling to themselves and thanking heavens that it is not them.

Embarrassing.

PrinceJohn

Despite this the patriotic lot over on Twitter are still saying good, a clean break.

The ignorance of some of these people knows no bounds…

Here are some number to put things into perspective…

– of membership of the EU: £406 a year.

– of the process of Brexit: £10,412

Cost of not being out of the EU: £5,171 every single year.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I asked him if it wasn’t more likely Maggie that created the feeling of being forgotten… His response – ‘Well at least she’d have told them where to go.’ (The EU that is)

It’s like a national personality disorder. There is a certain Englishness in the ability to put the moron in ‘oxymoron‘.

We are the centre of the Universe
    We are the edge of the EUniverse
    We are in need of no education, we just need to get us done
    We are alright, Jack!
    We are half wrong, Jack!
    We are stronger apart
    We are stronger together
    We are crusading peacemakers
    We are split over union
    We are divided over common ground
    We are the victorious victims
    We are the underdog
    We are the óberdog
    We are celebrating US Independence Day as winners
    We are bucket-meals masquerading as roast dinners
    We are lovely fake-tanned Sun-lovers, leaving our shit for those nasty do-gooders
    We are simply the best, better than all the rest
    (We are us and you are them)
    We are the pearls
    We are the oysters
    (We are the walrus)

Cougar

I posted on a much earlier thread and elsewhere that the EU27 had absolutely no incentive to co-operate as they held all the cards including negotiating capability.

It’s not even that.

The EU27 has been consistent in its negotiations from day 1, indeed before that even.

Whereas, four years on and we haven’t managed to reach a consensus on what we actually want yet, let alone made any progress in asking for it. Something that should have been in place before the referendum let alone the WA. How can a first world country possibly have a supposedly “meaningful” vote on something which is still undefined four years after we held the ballot? It’s insanity.

El-bent
    Free Member

Despite this the patriotic lot over on Twitter are still saying good, a clean break.

Only a minority, but a very vocal minority, to them this is all about revenge and “owning the liberals” who held them in check for a while.

Its not really surprising that a lot of them are racist, sexist, climate change denying hardcore car owners who view the current cycle revolution(of sorts) as stopping their freedom to drive where they like, and often how they like. Well they won(for now), but that won’t stop them being perpetually angry at the world around them and seeing themselves as the victims.

When this turns around(and it will), Liberals need to take a much harder line with these folk(amongst many others that have caused this disaster) and make sure they jump on the rocks this scum will no doubt be crawling back under.

Cougar

Here are some number to put things into perspective…

I found a tax document from a couple of years back the other day. It gave a breakdown of where all my taxes were spent. The cost of our EU membership, to me personally, was about a fiver a month.

Feeding that back into your figures (and I think you’re missing your units or it’s mightily cheap!), one could interpolate that the brexit process is costing your average wage earner North of £100/month.

frankconway

We don’t know what we want but the only acceptable answer from you is…yes.

first world country

Transitioning into a banana republic.

PrinceJohn

http://howmuchwillbrexitcost.me/

Is where it came from Cougar.

binners

but that won’t stop them being perpetually angry at the world around them and seeing themselves as the victims.

I think this is the most depressing thing of all. It’s like they go out of their way to find things to be permanently apoplectic about. I’ve got a couple of Brexit-supporting mates and they’re the first to believe every single half-baked conspiracy theory that the internet throws up, mainly as it seems to fuel their already overloaded persecution complexes.

The irony that as comfortably off, straight, white, middle-class males they’re the least persecuted people on the planet seems completely lost on them. They’re constantly angry about some perceived injustice or other, normally involving the EU and/or immigrants.

When this all goes horribly tits up, they’ll be holding the EU entirely responsible, and not the bunch of disaster capitalist clowns presently with their feet hard on the gas, accelerating towards the cliff edge.

Whereas, four years on and we haven’t managed to reach a consensus on what we actually want yet, let alone made any progress in asking for it

People were sold, and voted for, a myth. A fantasy. A lot of us were saying so at the time. 4 years later it’s even more of a myth and a fantasy, but the true believers still refuse to accept that screamingly obvious fact. They’ll still be refusing to accept it as the economy implodes in January and the whole southeast of England becomes one ****ing enormous lorry park

binners

If you wanted any proof of how this narrative is going to play out with the permenetly-apoplectic middle-aged white men then their mouthpiece, the Daily Express, sums it up perfectly today…

Barnier wants ‘total humiliation for UK!’ Brexiteers praise Frost for ‘holding his nerve’

Former Brexit Party MEP Rupert Lowe heaped praise on Boris Johnson’s Brexit negotiator David Frost for refusing to budge to Mr Barnier’s demands, which has edged the UK closer to a no deal exit from the bloc. But he warned: “Barnier wants total humiliation for our country, anything less than that and he won’t be happy.

Its almost too depressing for words that this attitude has now come to typify us as a nation. Arrogant, unreasonable, deluded and utterly obnoxious

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

There are a lot of folks in the UK at all levels of society that have an extremely high level of entitlement (perceived) and this has been fed by social media, leave UK and many politicians on the right (and not so right) i have worked all over the world and never witnessed a similar level of entitlement in ordinary people.

Truth is its created a lazy, poorly educated (all types of education) who are concerned about shopping and drinking and doing as little as possible.

I am from the North East and i have plenty of aqaintances who fit the “Builder” character above, however i suspect they may look back at minimum wage full employment with misty eyes

dannyh
    Free Member

Entitlement and being determined to act like loud mouthed pillocks is why many Europeans will be glad to see the back of us. Put yourself in the shoes of ordinary people being presented with arrogant, rude, entitled and pissed up British holidaymakers and you see why.

Flaperon

When this all goes horribly tits up, they’ll be holding the EU entirely responsible, and not the bunch of disaster capitalist clowns presently with their feet hard on the gas, accelerating towards the cliff edge.

^^ this

I don’t think I’ve met a single person who voted Brexit who, when asked, admits that they would vote differently if they knew then what they know now. It’s as if changing their mind is a sign of weakness.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s as if changing their mind is a sign of weakness.

Like every loudmouthed, pissed up pillock who ever started a bar fight over anything. Not interested in learning from life experiences, chinning someone is easier.

The only reason your typical Brit tourist is tolerated in Spain is because they have effectively created cordoned off vomitaria like Magaluf or Faliraki to relieve them of their cash, keep them ‘entertained’ for a week then **** them off ASAP.

Cougar

I don’t think I’ve met a single person who voted Brexit who, when asked, admits that they would vote differently if they knew then what they know now.

… because they’ve learned the square root of **** all since then.

frankconway

They knew the square root of ****all before then.

dannyh
    Free Member

… because they’ve learned the square root of **** all since then.

They knew the square root of ****all before then.

Knowing the square root of **** all will come in handy, though.

It’ll put some perspective on what is left of their employment rights in a couple of years time.

binners

It seems even that last bastion of St Georges flag-waving, white Transit man is starting to realise that the reality of a No Deal Brexit might not be the sunny uplands that they cheerleaded for…

The Sun has seen the doomsday classified document designed to kickstart ministers into a major planning operation to see off disaster. It reveals:

One in 20 Town Halls could go bust in a second Covid wave, sparking social care chaos.

The economic impact of the virus and Brexit could cause public disorder, shortages and price hikes.

Troops may have to be drafted on to the streets to help the police in the worst-case scenario — 1,500 are already on stand by.

Social distancing measures and masks will have to continue until 2021 regardless.

Supplies of food and fuel are all under threat this Christmas if Dover becomes blocked.

I seem to remember them being the ones labelling similar predictions ‘Project Fear’

Seems like the clowns in Downing Street are absolutely intent on creating the perfect storm and dropping an H bomb on our economy

mrmo
    Free Member

I think they are still missing the reality, a no deal Brexit will be ****, however any deal less than SM/CU will be barely any better. Try getting fresh food across the channel with the various declarations etc that have to be made.

Have a look around a Swiss supermarket at where stuff comes from.

binners

I’ve said it before, but our only hope lies with the cowardice of Boris Johnson. If he’s true to form, when he’s staring down the barrel of the reality of no deal, he’ll fold at the last minute and accept full regulatory alignment with the EU in return for access to the CU/SM.

If he doesn’t then we are truly ****ed!

Its both a tragedy and a farce that literally all we have left to save us from economic carnage is the inherent character flaws of that ****ing half-wit!

dogbone

I’ve said it before, but our only hope lies with the cowardice of Boris Johnson.

He’ll just go on holiday until he can blame someone else.

dannyh
    Free Member

He’ll just go on holiday until he can blame someone else.

This. He’ll be toast when he gets back from wherever it is, but his fat gurning mug will be on the wall at no 10 forever, and that is all it has been about for him. He’ll wander off into the sunset.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I seem to remember them being the ones labelling similar predictions ‘Project Fear’

Nothing will ever change as long as the public taste allows such liars as the Sun et al to profit from their peddling and sowing of endless dishonesty.

Unfortunately it (tabloidism in the form of xenophobic, nationalistic, populist ‘US vs Them’ RW conspiracy mills) seems to be a dog that found a way to have it’s day every day. The key: Pure machiavellian sociopathy. ie Never ever back down. Lie, and keep lying where it makes the most profit. The kind of lies that utter shits would be delighted to hear. Decades of this will devolve a country into Shitsville vs Them

Riksbar

I think they learned something from that, and by getting a horror show scenario out into the public domain, then when it is merely disastrous, they will be able to paint it as their success.

There are rumours that Demonic Cummings has his house on the market.

dannyh
    Free Member

The key: Pure machiavellian sociopathy. ie Never ever back down. Lie, and keep lying where it makes the most profit. The kind of lies that utter shits would be delighted to hear. Decades of this will devolve a country into Shitsville vs Them

The RW tabloids, Trump, Brexshit, Farage et al. Their key ability has been to say to arseholes who have felt ‘repressed’ by decency that it is OK to be an arsehole and to act like one. Legitimising arseholery is the key.

grum
    Free Member

Yup fear, anger and prejudice are easier to whip up and more powerful than reason and compassion, especially with people like Mark Zuckerberg facilitating.

eskay

Just had another argument with my dad about Brexit, I tried to bite my lip AGAIN…..

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 13,627 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.