Home Forums Bike Forum box four 8 speed groupset

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • box four 8 speed groupset
  • jremedy13
    Free Member

Anyone have a real world review?

Much appreciated

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am also interested. I would be v happy on 8 or even 7 speed, I reckon I only use gears 1,2 and 10,11 (or 11/12) whatever.

ajantom

Looks good, buy no stock anywhere that I can see.

I did a DIY version a couple of years ago….

Used 6 cogs from various used cassettes – think I used a 13-36 mix.
    Then set up with an SLX clutch mech with an 8 speed thumbie set to friction shift.

Worked surprisingly well!

craa22uk

i have run this on my hardtail for about a year – i’d say the 8 speed is more budget than burley – mainly the cassette, it has a lot of flex under load and each sprocket has a lot of rotational play (it’s held together with one small bolt)

the shifter is basic but fine, the mech worked fine but the clutch is pretty weak and unadjustable – so there was lots of slap

in addition to that you have to use a box chain with it – which have been hard to source (though i am tempted to chance it with a shimano one)

i suspect, though i haven’t tried it, that the nine speed is a step up and really what i should have bought – looking on the tech docs it has a different mech build anyway

cookeaa

I remember asking about the 9 speed version a while back and being put off by some of the responses (plus patchy availability), but I do quite like the idea of simpler/cheaper 1x specific drivetrains with fewer sprockets but ‘enough’ range for a plodder like me…

Microshift have muscling in on this territory recently with their ‘Advent’ lines too…

in addition to that you have to use a box chain with it – which have been hard to source (though i am tempted to chance it with a shimano one)

That would be my main worry, is it a wider chain? and if so how well does it mesh and keep on a N/W chainring?

If it could definitely be used with another brand of 10/11 speed chain I could be quite keen….

Carbis
    Free Member

Here is my experience: This groupset came on my son’s Vitus Nucleus 24; I was expecting robust and functional but have been less than impressed with it.

The rear mech seems flexy and the shifter, while solid, is well below the functionality of the Alivo shifters I had on my first mountain bike. In particular a lot of throw is required to shift to larger sprockets which is not ideal on a child’s bike.

We have also had issues with the chain coming off a number of times while out riding, initially I thought this was my sons shifting of the gears (trying to force shifts) but having seen it come off while he was riding a couple of braking bumps in front of me (no shifts) I suspect the weak clutch identified above is to blame.

In conclusion I am currently investigating the availability of Shimano/SRAM parts so I can change it.

honourablegeorge

Struggle to understand why anyone would go for Box or Microshift when Deore is so good and so cheap

cookeaa

Anyone had their hands on Microshift ‘Acolyte’ yet?

I’ve fitted out both of my kids bikes with SRAM X3/X4, My Missus bike has X4 it’s all cheap and cheerful 7/8/9 speed that fits on a HG freehub body and actually works.

I’m now quite keen to Jack in the 11-40 – 10 speed Deore on my MTB for something simpler, I can’t help thinking the lack of a clutch on the lower model SRAM stuff might not be so much of an issue. But then Advent, Acolyte and Advent all offer the option of a clutch with fewer cogs and some range…

I Suppose the next option is putting your own cassettes together with “Custom” Spacing… Anyone for wide range 7 speed?

oikeith

I’ve not heard good things about their stuff from a guy who ran it, has had issues and then has experienced a long wait for replacement parts.

ajantom

Struggle to understand why anyone would go for Box or Microshift

Au contraire, I’ve been running the Microshift XCD 11spd on my hardtail for 18 months, and it’s been great, hasn’t skipped a beat.
    Cheaper than Deore, and I’d say it’s more like SLX in the component quality.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘box four 8 speed groupset’ is closed to new replies.