Home Forums Chat Forum Bose SoundDock II dead as a dodo…any advice in the house?

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bose SoundDock II dead as a dodo…any advice in the house?
  • cjr61

Admittedly it’s fairly old and had good use, but whilst dancing around the house with our kids to the magically tones of Mr Tumble’s party songs it just stopped working.

Changed the plug fuse, checked connections but no power/life from the dock. Can’t seem to find any info online other than faulty cable. Cable seems fine and hasn’t been moved or touched for months so strange for it to go without provocation by little hands.

Any advice would be great as homeschooling/child care isn’t as good without audiobooks and iTunes party bribery!

Thanks Chris

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tried it in a different socket?

cjr61

Hi Perchy,
    Yes, different socket and still no power. Assuming some electrical trickery may have ‘blown’ but not sure. Would rather not have to buy another if it’s diy repairable.

Cheers

russianbob
    Free Member

Does your ipod show as charging when plugged into the dock? That could help point to where the problem is; power, or something internal to do with sound. I think you can get hold of new dock bits, you can even get a bluetooth replacement which replaces the whole unit rather than just plugging into the existing pins.

Does the 2 have an aux in round the back? Would be worth checking that too to narrow things down.

easily
    Free Member

Cable seems fine

Have you actually checked it though? I assume you mean the jack to jack cable – check it with another appliance, or try another cable. They do fail eventually even when left untouched.
    It’s the first thing I’d check, anyway. It might save you a lot of bother

cjr61

Thanks all. Don’t think it’s a dock or sound processor board issue as just no power to the whole unit. No lights, no beeps or anything.

By cable I meant power cable. I can have a look and see if I’ve got another monitor cable or something to try?

Thanks

beagle
    Free Member

I’ve had exactly the same in the past. 2 faults. The first being the cable – borrowed a mates and it worked perfectly. Second was a bit more complicated. I don’t have any electric knowledge at all but managed to sort. There is a flat cable which looks like a rigid bit of tape which joins the dock part to the rest of the unit. It had come dislodged from its slot. I cleaned the connectors and pushed it firmly back. It’s a fiddly job and the smaller your hands, the better. Accessed from the underneath, about 8 screws if I remember correctly. The tape bit comes out from the unit and into a connector on the sticky out dock bit. Hope that makes sense!

beagle
    Free Member

Ps. I think these are both fairly common faults.

cjr61

Hi Beagle,
    Did you borrow a complete new cable or just the mains plug to the box section?

Thanks

beagle
    Free Member

I tried both. Fault was in the box.

cjr61

Thanks Beagle – opened up the speaker and refitted the flat cable inside…fiddly indeed.

Ordered a new cable from Amazon so will keep fingers crossed that works

Cheers

alanf
    Free Member

This happened to a Denon I have.
    Tried a new fuse, different cable, different socket, but it would not power on at all. As dead as a dodo.
    I was going to enquire about getting it fixed, but got side tracked.
    About a month later I tried it again just on the off chance and it fired straight up.
    It’s not heavily used, but still have no idea what went on.
    Put it in the back of a cupboard for a month and it will start working again… maybe

Bear
    Free Member

I’ve just been clearing some boxes and found my old one of these that was working until we upgraded to some Sonos, happy to see it go to someone who has a use for it to be honest. Let me know if you want it, be good if you could cover postage, and if you are in a position to make a donation to a charity then I think that will keep the Karma police happy but no pressure.

cjr61

Thanks Bear, that’s amazing. Sent you a message

Bear
    Free Member

Messaging has stopped working for me, but it is on its way!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bose SoundDock II dead as a dodo…any advice in the house?’ is closed to new replies.