Viewing 40 posts - 15,401 through 15,440 (of 17,664 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • bowglie

Honestly until the reports go from ‘resigning’ to ‘resigned’ I’m celebrating nothing.

Even then I will remain suspicious until he is out of Downing Street…

Yep, me too. I suspect the tw*t is currently supergluing himself to his desk.

kelvin

I suspect the 1922 will boot him out next week anyway, if he wants to stay on as caretaker.
    Remember these are tories we’re talking about and they don’t like boris right now.

1922 can’t eject a PM, just start a run off to replace their party leader.

Conservative MPs need to find a way to make this quick though… it looks to me that Johnson is pushing them into a coronation for a new leader, with his intransigence. Perhaps they can choose a new temporary leader… and then start a second leadership selection process as soon as they are PM, and Johnson is out of the way.

martinhutch

The key thing is whether he can still form a government. Will they all come crawling back and accept the authority of a man they’ve been basically calling a liar for the last few days?

If he had taken the opportunity to take their advice and resign 36 hours ago, maybe, not so sure now. They may as well excise the tumour properly now he’s caused this much trouble.

greyspoke
    Free Member

But in the two days (a bit less) that it took for him to do what he obviously ought to have done, he has managed to lose/get rid of most of the government, making the situation far more difficult to deal with than it would have been had he done it when he should have. Again typical Johnson. All he is capble of is destruction.

binners

What will happen next is going to be truly terrifying. All against backdrop of a recession, rampant inflation and a cost of living crisis like we’ve never seen…

The leadership contest will be fought between the most hardline, thick-as-mince brexiteer headbangers, trying to out-Brexit and out-culture war each other, because that’s what the Tory membership want

God only knows which loon they’ll land us all with, but I doubt they’ll last long anyway

This is going to be horrible

Pieface

Didn’t Cameron say he’d stay on for a few weeks / months to esnure a smooth transition then walked the next day?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Yes I’m glad he is going as the man is a shameful, odious excuse for a public servant. I just have a sense of fear about what comes next.

Agreed. Whilst, it’s highly amusing seeing all these loathsome MPs proposing themselves as new Prime Minister – (Steve Baker currently putting himself forward live on BBC News! 😱) – but I cannot begin to think how bad it might get.

Who is the worst potential candidate? Priti Patel? Raab? ??

Who do the ‘I’m considering voting for Starmer’ tories want?

BillMC

I wonder if that visit from Dorries was the final blow.

Bruce

Aatrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhaassrrrggggghhhhhh

mattyfez

1922 can’t eject a PM, just start a run off to replace their party leader.

Yes sorry I wasn’t clear… That’s what I meant, although it’s tantamount to the same thing as there’s no way he’ll survive an internal tory confidence vote.

piemonster

He can’t be allowed to stay on. He’s deranged.

He was deranged long before this and ended up as PM

robertajobb

I’m not asred if he’s the Tory party leader. That’s not important.

We need him to resigning as PM. If he stays clinging on as PM for another 3-4 months that’s even more of a disaster for the country. Same BS, same lies, same deceit, same utter incompetence.

And we know we can’t trust him or Rees-Smugg not to use the time to try pull another illegal move to stay in power.

Maybe he’s hoping queenie will croak it to use as an excuse to delay even more.  Then a further winter Covid return to delay again. It’ll be 2023 before we know it.

Maybe its time we had a military coup.  Or civil uprising.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Again typical Johnson. All he is capble of is destruction.

I’d love him to scorch the earth as he leaves. His statement would start “I’ve remarkably remembered all the things that have happened over the past few years. Firstly…”

Houns

Didn’t Cameron say he’d stay on for a few weeks / months to esnure a smooth transition then walked the next day?

Dum dee dumm dee dee

alpin
    Free Member

Listening to 5 live is an eye opener, isn’t it…. The great British public. 🤔

Houns

Comments about Bozo to stay on as a ‘caretaker PM’?! The only caretaker job he is fit for is that of a caretaker in a Scooby Doo episode

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

until autumn?! Seriously?!

nickc

Imagine for a moment that you’re Gove. on a day where what? 50 odd ministers and assorted hangers on hand in their resignations, (and get three months pay) You alone get sacked. A friend of a friend works in social housing, and to her astonishment, found Gove not only sympathetic to her cause, but listened and acted upon all her recommendations regarding rental housing noting that “for far too long landlords have had it easy” Gone in a moment of Hubris by a man with no dignity…

What a time to be alive

martinhutch

Yeah, even if the reason for departure is a defeat at the polls, then it’s hard to stay on. If the reason you’re off is that your entire party thinks you a are barefaced liar and dishonourable charlatan, I can’t see how you can stick around in a caretaker role.

The other problem is that his hangers-on also stay for months enacting divisive populist policies that will continue to salt the earth for any government that follows.

Has anyone put a call into Big Sam yet?

BillMC

He wants to stay on as a ‘caretaker’. I wouldn’t trust him with a bogbrush.

piemonster

Ramsay Bolton I think.

This is far to believable for comfort …

alpin
    Free Member

Maybe its time we had a military coup. Or civil uprising.

I’m back in the UK for two weeks at the start of August. Willing to lend a hand /chant slogans/throw bricks.

nickc

Harry_the_Spider

I wonder if that visit from Dorries was the final blow.

Very good there BillMC

A leaving present? There’s not a lot of point trying to get a promotion at this stage.

Houns

MoreCashThanDash

Traditionally, the first Cambridge Union debate of the academic year is “This house has confidence in HM Government”.

They were struggling for speakers as it was….

fazzini

Zahawi’s Letter

OMG. Think it’s about time Her Royal Maj sent in the troops to take over until full electoral reform is imposed.

binners

Listening to 5 live is an eye opener, isn’t it…. The great British public.

Ask yourself what type of person has both the time and the inclination to ring up a radio show at 9.30 in the morning?

TiRed

A friend of a friend works in social housing, and to her astonishment, found Gove not only sympathetic to her cause

I said it earlier, like him or loath him, Gove is an effective minister who knows his brief and works hard. Civil Servants like that sort of thing. Of course he’s a snake as well. But Politics. and being the only one of 50-odd to be sacked is at least some form of notoriety in this shambles.

chakaping
    Free Member

A friend of a friend works in social housing, and to her astonishment, found Gove not only sympathetic to her cause, but listened and acted upon all her recommendations

While I’m not a fan of his at all, he does appear to be quite competent and to throw himself into his brief – and not to be afraid of original thinking.

There’s certainly no need to feel sorry for him anyway, he’ll be back.

martinhutch

Ask yourself what type of person has both the time and the inclination to ring up a radio show at 9.30 in the morning?

I don’t know, but there are some even worse people who get out of bed in time to ring Jeremy Vine.

cudubh

Here is my suggestion for a solution. Boris goes today and Queenie takes over until the Tories can find a reasonable one to run the show. Granted she might not last that long but it gets BJ out of the way now. And Nicola can have a word with her about the next referendum too.

leffeboy

I wonder if that visit from Dorries was the final blow

snigger

dazh

You alone get sacked. A friend of a friend works in social housing, and to her astonishment, found Gove not only sympathetic to her cause, but listened and acted upon all her recommendations regarding rental housing noting that “for far too long landlords have had it easy”

Gove was one of the few competent ministers who knew what he was doing. TBH if he were the next PM labour would have a major problem. He won’t be due to his penchant for sex and drugs, but he’s one of the few in the cabinet who could actually do the job at an operational level.

dissonance

Imagine for a moment that you’re Gove. on a day where what? 50 odd ministers and assorted hangers on hand in their resignations

It was reported that Gove gave Johnson until 9pm to resign with the assumption otherwise he would.
    Johnson sacked him just before 9pm.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And Nicola can have a word with her about the next referendum too.

I’d like a second referendum and apparently I haven’t got the law on my side to do that, can you help, you’re the Queen after all?

Andrew wants to go to pizza express for his birthday and seems to think I can make that work too.

mattyfez

I wonder if that visit from Dorries was the final blow

snigger

That went straight over my head, but the penny has dropped. Very good😂

dissonance

Gove was one of the few competent ministers who knew what he was doing.

His success rate is so so. He doesnt seem great at considering anything other than his own personal experience as being right. So on the occasions those personal experiences were right he did well but other times it all fell to bits.

binners

A friend of a friend works in social housing, and to her astonishment, found Gove not only sympathetic to her cause, but listened and acted upon all her recommendations

I’ve heard exactly the same from people in environmental charities about when he was environment minister

nickc

I heard that also @dissonance.

what a shambles

Viewing 40 posts - 15,401 through 15,440 (of 17,664 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.