• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,281 through 14,320 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • jimster01

He is truly deluded.

He doesn’t know when the time is up.

Rich_s

There’s a delicious irony in the way he’s turning any chance of a post politics career into nothing more than him being a freak show.

That’s breathtakingly naive. His future is already secured as non-exec director of this, and chairman of that, etc etc.
    He’ll be turning over millions into a company registered in Grand Cayman to keep it away from his kids.
    Don’t forget plenty of people think he’s great.
    And also remember Jeremy Vine’s story about his after dinner speeches – Joris an entertainer and he’ll be able to pull in hundreds of thousands for those. Sure, they’ll have no content or gravitas, but they’ll be funny.

dudeofdoom

That’s breathtakingly naive. His future is already secured as non-exec director of this, and chairman of that, etc etc.

Yep,I keep banging on but he’s ‘Special’ and will happily prosper after his premiership. They can’t wait to stuff fifties in his pockets.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernielynch

An Opinium poll in today’s Observer gives Labour a 3% lead, which isn’t particularly bad for a Tory government midterm between general elections.

crazy-legs

Yep,I keep banging on but he’s ‘Special’ and will happily prosper after his premiership. They can’t wait to stuff fifties in his pockets.

This ^^
    All of these politicians, no matter how breathtakingly incompetent, fall upwards into “advisory roles” on corporate boards, the after-dinner speaking circuit and occasional appearances on “celebrity” shows. They’re all incredibly well paid positions.

Example:

Chris Grayling, a strong contender for the most staggeringly stupid and useless person ever to set foot in the HoC, the only man capable of losing a rigged election for a Chairman position (Intelligence and Security Committee Chair – oh the irony…) was appointed to a £100,000-per-annum, 7-hour-per-week job advising the British Virgin Islands domiciled Hutchison Port Holdings Limited “on its environmental strategy and its engagement with local enterprise bodies”.

kimbers

He is truly deluded.

He doesn’t know when the time is

By the time his on a 3rd term he’ll be at the abortion ban stage of far right populism

MoreCashThanDash

He is truly deluded.

He doesn’t know when the time is up.

Anyone else imagining Boris in the famous Berlin Bunker clip?

Maybe I am naive about his future, but he’s at a point of appearing full Trump/Hitler desperate to cling to power at all costs, and his past and future paymasters are ruthless enough to cut him off when he becomes so toxic that they can’t afford to have him connected to their business.

kimbers

his past and future paymasters are ruthless enough to cut him off when he becomes so toxic that they can’t afford to have him connected to their business

There’s a reason the likes of billionaire hedge fund donor Hintze & Dacre of the Mail are getting peerages! .

I do hope Johnson clings on to power

dudeofdoom

Not sure what’s really changed tbh,other than a few more lies have been proved as lies.

It’s not like he’s behaving any differently in his life than at any other time.

dudeofdoom

When he walks it’ll be with a daiquiri to a private jet to a m8s island for a months holiday,whilst picking up the best offer for his memoirs.

There’s no bunker scene.

spekkie
    Free Member

In this day and age the way the internet, and especially social media platforms, encourage the “echo chamber” effect – it’s easy to think that everyone, or at least the vast majority of people, thinks the same way you do.

The reality is there are still an awful lot of people who do and always will think differently to you – whatever the subject in question may be. Boris/Tories/Brexit on STW are all good examples of this – there is a world of people outside of STW who think very differently.

Boris isn’t going to die alone, hated and buried in a paupers grave.

Riksbar

Saw this today,

Right now we have Col Bud Holland in charge. Not boring, but lethal.

What happens when a charismatic individual is allowed to break the rules.

kimbers

Yeah, standard

rone

that pilots who are able to fly bits of metal around the sky safely at 500 miles an hour. are usually quite
    boring.They don’t do standup,but they are reliable safe people

But when the plane is in trouble they cease to be boring and do something about it.

pipm1
    Free Member

If the plane was in trouble I’d prefer the pilot to remain boring & disconnected, to do a load of problem solving & mental maths to work out the best solution & to carry it through safely & not care how it looked outwardly.

mattyfez

If the plane was in trouble I’d prefer the pilot to remain boring & disconnected, to do a load of problem solving & mental maths to work out the best solution & to carry it through safely & not care how it looked outwardly.

Slight thread derail, apologies but this immediatley sprang to mind -commercial airlines won’t though new pilots, they have to have x thousand air miles (I can’t remenber the figure but it’s a lot) to even get a look in.

So what a lot of them have to do is go to Indonesia or somewhere and work for dodgy small operators in errm… interesting conditions…they are cool as cucumbers because they have litteraly seen it all by the time they get thier hands on a commercial airliner.

If only we had the same checks and balances for people in politics, lol!

This series is crazy and a real eye opener:

somafunk

I see Boris and his advisors have done it again, throw out his desire of a 3rd term and all previous **** ups have been removed from the discussion and replaced with another dead cat talking point.

cookeaa

TBH this all works perfectly.

The cost of living crisis is starting to bite and by Q4 this year the consequences of Boris’ nonexistent “leveling up” will be increasingly visible; food banks servicing the “working poor”, starving children and freezing pensioners is what He will have presided over.

We might as well have kept George and Dave if that’s what we wanted.

Right now they’re embarking on the road to eroding our rights via this new “bill of rights”. The real goal is to cut back actual rights, don’t be shocked if you’re employment rights take a kicking in order to help out those poor needy shareholders.

Boris being as popular as a fart in a spacesuit is fantastic cover for these sort of things, all the news coverage is focussed on him being a shitebag, not the policies his cabinet are trying to enact with their majority.

The next 12 months are possibly the most dangerous our country has faced for a long while, an increasingly unpopular PM insulated from removal by a recent VOC, devicive, dog whistle policies intended to fan the flames of the “culture war”… It’s all just running interference for the top 5% to smash and grab whatever they can, and chip away at the wider public’s protections from their worst, most pernicious behaviour…

The things that actually require attention aren’t getting it, because we’ve fallen for the Borris as a pantomime villain act and are so busy shouting about wine and cheese, when they’ve got far worse schemes on the go…

He’s got another year at least, his paymasters want results now, so put VOCs l to one side and start focussing on the UK binning the ECHR, and the millions falling further into poverty while Tories keep lying about “levelling up”…

crazy-legs

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/26/brexit-and-other-offensive-words-starting-with-the-letter-b

Possibly one for the Brexit thread but that’s inextricably linked to Boris as well so here we are…
    Moves beyond viewing Boris as a liar, it paints him as a serial bullshitter.

inkster
    Free Member

I hope that when conference time comes, Zelinsky tells Boris he’s ‘busy watching Gogglebox’.

MSP

Right now they’re embarking on the road to eroding our rights via this new “bill of rights”

Even that is a distraction, it doesn’t matter what the law or your legal rights are if you don’t have access to the legal system. The Tories have been massively successful in removing access for anyone but the rich.

The headlines may be bad for Boris, but they have been very successfully dismantling representation, rights and access to many parts of the system that should give people help and hope.

I hope that when conference time comes, Zelinsky tells Boris he’s ‘busy watching Gogglebox’.

Zelinsky knows that what is best for Ukraine currently, is to massage Boris’s ego and praise him publicly. Zelinsky has one prime mission, and it isn’t the UK’s internal political landscape.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

😆

kelvin

Hey, public sector workers… why didn’t you tell us all about your inflation busting pay rises…?!?

[ good short concise video, worth a watch ]

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Telegraph reporting three red wall Tories in talks with Labour to defect.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/27/exclusive-three-red-wall-conservatives-talks-defect-labour/

I guess they are anticipating that they will be the next Wakefield!

somafunk

Telegraph reporting three red wall Tories in talks with Labour to defect.

I guess they’ll be panicking on losing their seat and income?, nothing but grifters who’ll swing whatever way so the cash keeps rolling in.

MoreCashThanDash

Hey, public sector workers… why didn’t you tell us all about your inflation busting pay rises…?!?

We got a deal 3 years ago that took away some benefits but got us 11% over three years – looked pretty good back in 2020.

Just had the last increase – not looking so great in 2022.

colournoise

Sterling work from The Times’ infographic wrangler.

davros

Most years since 2013 it’s been a derisory .5%. I think the biggest one was a massive 2.5%. Guessing we’ll be back to .5% again for the next 10 years!

kimbers

I’m effectively public sector as university funded, our uplift this year was offset by the NI rise

It’s ridiculous, we have chronic staff shortages , so many posts unfilled were struggling with basic running of the buildings, this is in a world class cancer research institute, and I know it’s the same at plenty of others.
    No longer any EU intake to make up the numbers either

chestrockwell

Us in the Fire Service have just been offered 2%. I imagine we’ll be balloting soon then?

Double ace in North Yorkshire as we’ve also had funding pulled by bozzer and his mates so the rank and file are also having to fight off the loss of Fire Engines. Happy times ahead.

onehundredthidiot

We got 1% the same year NI was increased by 1% so a small pay cut.

kelvin

Rule change incoming?

intheborders
    Free Member

All of these politicians, no matter how breathtakingly incompetent, fall upwards into “advisory roles” on corporate boards, the after-dinner speaking circuit and occasional appearances on “celebrity” shows. They’re all incredibly well paid positions.

Example:

Chris Grayling, a strong contender for the most staggeringly stupid and useless person ever to set foot in the HoC, the only man capable of losing a rigged election for a Chairman position (Intelligence and Security Committee Chair – oh the irony…) was appointed to a £100,000-per-annum, 7-hour-per-week job advising the British Virgin Islands domiciled Hutchison Port Holdings Limited “on its environmental strategy and its engagement with local enterprise bodies”.

But Grayling isn’t getting this money as an exMP he’s getting it as a current MP.

What do you reckon they’re looking for as a return for their £100k, and who’s paying it?

Corruption pure and simple – and if folk can’t see it, they’re either simple or can’t accept the truth.

kimbers

I do wonder if they’ve missed their moment now, it’s not just that Tory MPs lack a spine , by-elections shown that any of them could be vulnerable, I think there’s 2 calculations going on..
    Change PM now & the new leader bounce may have crashed by the next GE
    And the obvious one is that the alternatives are mind numbingly daft: Truss, Javid, Hunt?

Finding one of those that’s palatable to the members, the MPs & the electorate not easy, Truss going all in on ripping up the NI deal ATM is all about exciting the brexit headbangers for this very reason

martinhutch

Steve Baker being

a) the voice of reason in the Tory Party
    b) touted as a potential PM (at least by himself)

makes me favour the idea of Johnson limping on until the next election. There is literally no better alternative on the benches behind him, and a lot of worse ones.

Waderider
    Free Member

I work in the public sector on a wage that is maybe 2/3 of that available in the private sector for the same job. My effective remuneration has reduced by 20% in the last eight years. Recruitment has failed and targets are missed year after year. Red tape impediments make achieving more difficult each year.

From where I am it feels as if my sector is being manoeuvred into the position of “look, it’s failed, we need to totally privatise it”. Which shall cost the taxpayer a fortune compared to a properly funded public sector, and harm the environment as we act as a check on rogue behaviour from private sector companies working within the industry.

I’ll be leaving as soon as I identify an appropriate exit.

Apologies for keeping thread off topic, but to pull it back on, the source of the problem is tory ideology.

binners

the source of the problem is tory ideology.

While that is unarguably true when it comes to pay, strikes and the public sector, as far as the economy is concerned, It’s not even really Tory policy anymore, as this isn’t really a Tory party. It’s an English Nationalist one.

No previous Tory regime would have countenanced making trade considerably harder, but Johnson is about to start not one, but two trade wars. And he’s starting them with the economic big boys, to boot, so hasn’t a chance of winning.

Not that he’s bothered about that, or probably even thought that far ahead.

He’s going to break international law and scrap the NI protocol which will start a trade war with the EU (as well as dragging the US into it) and then he’s going to break it again by slapping illegal protectionist tariffs on imported steel, which will start a trade war with various other countries like China and India

All to placate the creationist nutters of the DUP and the increasingly unhinged headbangers on his own backbenches, who we all know will never be placated

He’s about to reek economic havoc, on top of everything else he’s done, in a desperate attempt to keep himself in power.

He’s empowered economically illiterate lunatics to prop himself up and couldn’t give a toss about the implications for the rest of us

This government has only one aim… to keep itself in power. And it couldn’t care less about the damage it does to achieve that

It’s an administration dangerously out of control, behaving like a drunk gambler, desperately chasing its Brexit losses

MoreCashThanDash

I see Channel 4 are discussing the potentially defective red wall Tory MPs, but the BBC seem to be avoiding it….presumably as they claim to require two decent sources before running a story?

Is Boris home for PMQs tomorrow?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

And he’s starting them with the economic big boys

Lining them up to be Eastasia and Eurasia for us Oceanians to be at war with?

Klunk
    Free Member

ffs

Viewing 40 posts - 14,281 through 14,320 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts