Home Forums Chat Forum BMW 330e vs Merc C350e PHEV

• This topic has 46 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bails.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • BMW 330e vs Merc C350e PHEV
  • womp
    Free Member

I am after a cost effective company car, my fleet manager has suggested either a BMW 330e or  Merc C350e

I commute 15 miles a day, do very limited personal miles outside of this.

I know nothing about cars so which should i get ? (or any other alternatives in this bracket 40k)

cheers 🙂

lowey

I tested both and ordered a 330e.

Merc nicer interior, bmw much nicer to drive.

Reviews seem to agree the hybrid system in the Beemer is much better. Cant comment on that though.

Be aware long lead times for BMW at the moment.

somouk
    Free Member

The Beemer interior is getting on a bit now and the Merc is generally more comfortable but not as nice to drive.

Both will do under 30 miles on a full charge.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Lexus is300h. Far nicer than both. I loved mine.

Mr_C
    Free Member

I’ve got a C350e and I love it. Best car I’ve ever had. Puts the handling of all BMWs I’ve driven to shame.

The bad news is you can no longer order them as the production run for this year has been allocated and the replacement C400e has yet to be launched – or so my colleagues who have tried to order and had their orders cancelled have been told.

Kryton57

I commute 15 miles a day, do very limited personal miles outside of this.

Thought about riding a bike?  Your current alternatives sound very expensive given this brief.

angeldust
    Free Member

twonk

drlex
    Free Member

If you want a PHEV to commute that distance on electric only, I can recommend the Golf GTE; just coming up to 2 years’ driving. It won’t be quite up to the standard of a C class or 3 series, but it will be a slightly lower BiK tax (based on list price). Drives like a lardy GTi.

lowey

You cant get GTE’s either…

“Due to unprecedented demand, leading to long delivery lead times,
    we are temporarily closing Golf GTE to order.”

Kryton57

Why choose to be offensive it’s just a suggestion?

It’s the ops money he can do what he likes, but buying a 3 litre car and the associated costs to travel 15 miles a day total with no private use seems both wasteful and environmentally unsound.

Going by bike should be more cost effective and has more health benefits.

somouk
    Free Member

I think you can still order the Passat GTE which may be a good option.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d go Merc, it’s a nicer place to be for your journey.

You clearly need the big engined vehicles, so fuel costs aren’t much of an issue, so why not buy into a bit of whafting luxury for the short drives you say you have?

Its a shame people think there are only two Brands to consider when it comes to luxury vehicles. I’m not going to point you in any other direction because you should already be aware of other luxury vehicles in you price bracket…

womp
    Free Member

Thought about riding a bike?

I need the car for work

‘I have just had confirmation that the merc is no longer available and a new version will announced in March

the BMW is on 6 month waiting list and is expected to be updated for 2019

‘the Passat is 6 weeks

womp
    Free Member

Its a shame people think there are only two Brands to consider when it comes to luxury vehicles. I’m not going to point you in any other direction because you should already be aware of other luxury vehicles in you price bracket…

I don’t know much about cars so if you know of other options based on my requirements I would appreciate it, thanks

womp
    Free Member

Lexus is300h.

thanks, just had a look, it’s nice but it is double the tax charge unfortunately

davosaurusrex

I have the Passat GTE estate coming on Friday (weather permitting), it did get built very quickly. Comfy, practical and pretty quick but I’ve found the ride on diesel Passats on 18s pretty crashy. We’ll see.

iain1775
    Free Member

I have a Passatt GTE estate on order for my next company car, ordered early Feb and will be with me March 15th, that’s adding a couple of factory options to the standard spec

could have had the 330e or upgraded to a 5 series electric but the Passatt offered a fair bit more (adaptive cruise control being the biggy), a lot more space (estate being pretty much essential for me) and the seats where far comfier

was pretty pokey in GTE mode and over the weekend I had a demo I averaged about 76mph on economy mode, low 40mph just on petrol

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I was looking at similar vehicles recently until opting out of our scheme.

We have loads of Mers 350e’s in our fleet, nice place to sit but they are slated by everyone for the rubbish economy. The BMW option does look great but it was a deal breaker for me that I could not get an estate.

Not mentioned in here and a bit more expensive but Rangerover make a PHEV and it drives really well but the tax was a bit spendy for me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It takes 5mins on the internet to find other luxury brands offering your requirement.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Why choose to be offensive it’s just a suggestion?

It’s the ops money he can do what he likes, but buying a 3 litre car and the associated costs to travel 15 miles a

Whilst I generally agree with the point, the BMW 330 isn’t a 3litre car, it’s a 2litre. Or at least my 18month old one is. Not sure about the merc.

matt_outandabout

Is it worth a company car for those miles?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s the best way to Company car.

Low miles, so can run electric only on the daily drive. Low tax so an actual benefit.

Hybrids are best for journeys like this. They are hopeless on long runs.

And the Merc is 2ltr too. As anyone should know if they were spouting on the internet

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m going to disagree on the “hybrids are useless for long journeys”. I have a hybrid and it does 70mpg around town (London) and 65mpg on open A3 journeys. The worst I’ve seen is 54mpg and that was because I had two boards on the roof and three people in it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

330e here, and I know someone who has the merc.

More space in the boot of the merc. You could argue the interior is nicer in the merc if bling is your thing.

However ther merc isn’t as good mpg, it isn’t as good to drive, and the driving ergonomics of the 330e are way better

However apparently you can’t order a 330e anymore.  Not sure if it’s because of battery supply or the fact a new 3 series is out soon

womp
    Free Member

Cheers for all you comments (apart from bikebouy)

i think I will hang on for a few weeks to see about the new merc … I found a link claiming a bigger battery and new styling , hopefully it will still be around the same price.

Is it worth a company car for those miles?

Whilst my personal miles are low my business miles are high so yes it is worth it, all business miles are payed for so fuel economy for those miles is a secondary consideration to my personal miles, in addition I would like a car I’m comfortable in whilst driving for 3 – 6 hours.

Whilt a PHEV may not make sense for most, as a company car buyer with a small commute it really does fit the bill, cheap rate personal tax for a decent car to drive during the day with free commuting costs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe, don’t I get a thanks 🤷‍♂️

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

with free commuting costs.

You will be lucky.  My 330e struggles to do 10 miles on battery, as I understand it the Merc is only very slightly better.

(this is based on living somewhere hilly and in cold conditions)

Still my 330e averages 46mpg which is amazing given how fast the car is

marcus
    Free Member

Check the personal tax rate for the next few years, as I think its being pushed up for PHEVs.

womp
    Free Member

Check the personal tax rate for the next few years, as I think its being pushed up for PHEVs.

Yes it does take a fair jump (not a lot I can do about that though.. it still seems PHEVs offer the best 3 year investment at the moment)

17/18 £116

18/19 £167

19/20 £206

womp
    Free Member

Awe, don’t I get a thanks

nope..as you clearly don’t actually know anything, but feel free to keep making yourself feel important on the internet

5lab
    Free Member

might an i3 (with the range extender) meet your needs? A bit ‘different’ to the others, but should still be nice inside, nippy, etc, broadly the same price and also a bit cheaper to run? It might be a bit annoying if you frequently do 200 mile days as the tank is pretty small

molgrips
    Free Member

nope..as you clearly don’t actually know anything, but feel free to keep making yourself feel important on the internet

Bikebouy is right.  SOME hybrids are very good on long trips.  Some others aren’t.  Because hybrids vary in design quite a lot.

You however are being extremely unpleasant without provocation.  That is not good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks Mol.

He does seem to have a chip on his shoulder, which is very odd.

When I looked at changing my XC60 I went through the same thoughts as you OP, I tested a good variety of vehicles. I didn’t go to BMW because I’ve owned them in the past, I have owned MERC’s too so I looked at the C-Estates and I really like them.. the SE model though not the Sports version.

I then chose a Hybrid Petrol, and it’s been one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. All of the BIK boxes are ticked, cheap to run, luxurious and residuals will still be high when I come to change it.

You can do all your own research, there are plenty of Hybrid options out there that will fulfil your requirements admirably. It’s not difficult to find out who I’m talking about either.

Sorry I seem to have wound you up somehow… feel free to thank me again later.

matt_outandabout

Whilst my personal miles are low my business miles are high so yes it is worth it

Sorry – I had read it that *all* you did was the commute…

matt_outandabout

Also, BIL has the Merc c-class hybrid.

His view – technical marvel that is a tax dodge, not a lot more. Amazing if you want to roll 6 miles to the supermarket. Longer trips, it struggles to do as many mpg as his last car (Volvo D3), you can feel the weight in the boot of the batteries on anything other than motorway, you loose a fair old chunk of the boot. He wishes he had just bought a diesel e-class or v90…

zilog6128

Sorry – I had read it that *all* you did was the commute…

to be fair, that is exactly how the OP reads. The “high work mileage” bait & switch revelation only came this morning 😉

Nico
    Free Member

I have a hybrid and it does 70mpg around town (London) and 65mpg on open A3 journeys.

Bikebouy, what hybrid do you have (you’ll get a thanks from me. I know you know something – just not how to spell buoy 😉 )?

womp
    Free Member

Bikebouy

I don’t know much about cars so if you know of other options based on my requirements I would appreciate it, thanks

It takes 5mins on the internet to find other luxury brands offering your requirement.

Sorry for not thanking you based on your earlier comments …though I do apreciate your comments further down the thread… that said I still can’t find any other car that is comparable to the BMW or Merc In terms of luxury brand and  tax costs the nearest I can see is the Passat even after an internet search so again if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it and I would thank you, cheers ;0)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have an RX300h. The latest one. The pre 2015 versions were not so good on fuel so they’ve done a remap and altered the CVT gearbox to accommodate better fuel consumption and drivability.

Around London I’d say 75% of the time it’s on battery, the engine kicks in to recharge the battery but it cuts out when it becomes about 2/3rds full charge and you are back on battery again. All journeys below 40mph and the battery kicks in, when you stop at lights the engine sometimes kicks in to recharge the battery but then turns off about 100mtrs later.

The car has a eco/normal/sport mode and I leave mine in eco all the time, I’ve used normal a couple of times and sport twice. In eco the car turns down the amount of aircon/interior lighting is dimmer and changes the CVT gearbox into a sort of slow motion change..the throttle response is a lot less “immediate” in that you press the peddle and it gathers speed slowly but enough to keep up with traffic you can put your foot right to the floor and it will revert to normal mode until you release the throttle and it will revert back to eco. In normal it’s well, normal and will scoot along happily with instant throttle response, the aircon works harder and the gearbox changes quicker if you put your foot right down it will rapidly scoot off, in sport it uses all battery and all engine together and is bonkers.. I’m not keen on this mode, I’ve used it to accelerate on one horrid roundabout at the A2/M25 junction and it was just like i’d lit some after burner.

It’s got a 2.5ltrt petrol engine and a battery/motor from the latest LXC in dumbed down tune, but the car isn’t that heavy. Most of the panels are aluminium and carbon, the glass is really thin in the windows and the roof is very thin too.. but it’s incredibly well made and so quiet that you don’t hear the engine at all unless it’s in sport then you get a sort of rumble noise.

I chose it because my XC60 was drinking fuel, 45mpg is pretty good for a D4SE but I wanted change and the lease was up. I looked at Merc’s and Audi’s, Toyotas and Lexus. I wasn’t really looking for another SUV, I’d have happily gone into another estate but having shopped around I liked the RX300h and so I bought it.. its not the F-Sport one, its the normal Sport version with 18′ alloys and massive tyres, the F-Sport comes with 19 or 20′ but they look too bling for my taste.

In my “normal” driving I get averages in the 62+ and thats cruising along at an indicated 60-65, if you drive it slower at 50 then the consumption doesn’t change that much, you have to go below 40 when the battery is mostly on for it to really benefit fuel consumption.

I must add I drive slowly, I’m the kind guy that you’d overtake on a dual carriageway or motorway for doing 60 in the slow lane. I often get overtake by lorries and coaches. Around town I naturally keep up with traffic, at home down here I often find I’ve got cars up my arse whilst I’m driving the speed limit and they’re getting all frustrated…

I’m sure you could find fault with the RX, but as yet the only “fault” I have found is the 60-40 split rear seat and the passenger seat doesn’t fold flat, it folds backwards and rests on the rear of the seat backs when folded but you have to take the headrest out. It has a high boot and it’s flat, but underneath is where the battery is, so you loose a little bit of space. If you were to carry a buggy of some sort then I’m pretty sure that unless you folded it flat the buggy would obscure your rear view..

Edit:

I’ve not done an MPG check full-empty tank when the car is in Normal mode, because I drive it in eco all the time, I guess I should do a Normal MPG and I’ve no doubt it will be lower.. how much I don’t know but I’d say aves of 55+ are achievable the way I’d drive it. Obviously you’ll drive differently than I do so only take my thoughts as a guide, a reliable guide non the less.

Hybrids are not Congestion Charge free in Town anymore.. You have to apply for a discount by registering the vehicle with TFL. Don;t assume the old days where a hybrid would be picked up by the cameras and TFL would simply not charge the fee because it’s all changed in Town now. The new ULEZ regulations coming in in 2019 mean all vehicles electric/hybrid must apply for dispensation/discounts to counter the fee. And despite what TFL tell you about the current ULED regulations, they have already started to apply the new registration rules.. I found out to my dismay when I got a fine for going into the zone not long after I bought it. Also, the first years Tax was £130..

I’d say Lexus are well worth looking at IMO, yes they have a slightly “old mans” image but thats disappearing quickly. The dealer I use has bent over backwards to help/assist and answer stupid questions I fire at him occasionally..

Also, whilst I’m on and bored at home, the cabin and materials are outstanding. everything you touch is just solid and extremely well made. All the switches are just where you need them and you kinda forget them once you’ve had the car a day or so. All the computer electrics and dash are stunning, there is a vast array of customisation changes you can do via the OBC and mood lighting and one-tap indicator repeaters are the two simple ones I’ve done but you can do all sorts. It’s obviously got Bluetooth and also a USB for phones and whatnot, and a display for movies if you want but that doesn’t work if the vehicle is in motion.

On a quality range I’d say its easily 50% better than my old XC60 (I don’t know what the new ones are like, nor the XC40 but I did consider that but it wasn’t due for release when I wanted my car)

I chose Black, but I wish now I’d gone for a dark grey because its a sod keeping it clean..

womp
    Free Member

I have an RX300h

I really like them, but ruled it out as it’s not a PHEV and the tax is over double of the BMW and Merc

its seems the only saloon PHEV available at the moment is the VW , hopefully others will be announced at the motor show this week but god knows when anything will actually be available … i literally can’t even spend someone else’s money at the moment … on another note whilst looking around I did see the Tesla model 3 which may join the list if I have to wait 12 months anyhow

Ps. Thank you

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘BMW 330e vs Merc C350e PHEV’ is closed to new replies.