Home Forums Bike Forum Bloody Oakley Temples!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bloody Oakley Temples!
  • elwoodblues
    Free Member

So my problem is this… I really like the Oakley lenses, particularly the photochromic types. I do, however, hate those big, bulky, straight, and far too long Oakley temples that always seem to interfere with my helmet and cause pressure points on my ears!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for good photochromic glasses, with reasonably sized temples and adjustable nose bridge?

I really like the looks of the Uvex 802 Vario, but does anyone have real world experience of Uvex’ vario lenses?

daern
    Free Member

Roady head on, but Jawbreakers have adjustable length arms, which certainly helps them fit neatly with my Mojito. Best of all, CRC were flogging them cheap last week and you might find some other good deals out there. (watch out for the fakes!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

the legs go outside the straps….

daern
    Free Member

Your point?

trail_rat
    Free Member

on the left – a set of oakleys interfering with a helmet strap … on the right a helmet not even being touched by said strap and thus not interfering …

Handly showing that jawbreakers – old and new  actually have wider arms than most.

TheGingerOne

Erm, the issue is not with the straps in front of the ears!!!!

elwoodblues
    Free Member

I know that most people have temples go outside the straps, but that lifts the temples even further away from my head and makes the pressure points on my ears hurt even worse.

Additionally, the long temples hit the harness on my helmets behind the ears, and makes wearing the Oakleys uncomfortable for me.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not the straps on my Scott Stego they don’t.  Besides, I more often have a problem with the arms touching part of the helmet or it’s retention system to the rear of the ear.  My Jawbreakers haven’t done this on any helmet so far and do their job well just a shame they look so ‘special’

daern
    Free Member

OK, gotcha.

The challenge is that some helmets (especially MTB ones) seem to clash with the ends of the arms, and when worn (correctly) over the straps can create a levering action on the straps as well as pressure points under the edge of the helmet. I get a bit of this with my MTB helmet and glasses, but it doesn’t tend to bother me too much, but it was nice to be able to shorten the arms right off on the Jawbreakers to keep them well out of the way.

For example, here’s my MTB helmet (Hardnutz) combined with my Tifosi Dolomites and you can see where the ends of the arms get very, very close to the helmet webbing:

For me, wide arms are far less of an issue than arm length. You can see that the Jawbreakers can be set with far shorter arms and these stay away from the helmet and are generally comfier to wear:

Interestingly, the wider arms don’t seem to cause any discomfort with this helmet – there’s actually a recess that they fit into, so they don’t actually touch at the front.

(In truth, this is the first time these glasses have been worn with this helmet – I just wanted to show the difference between the two)

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Daern, you have positively identified my problem. The temples make contact with the webbing of my Giro Feature, and makes it very uncomfortable for me. In any case, The Jawbreakers do not fit me very well, but I might just try a pair of Radars or Flak Jackets to determine wether they interfere with the helmet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Oakley Temples!’ is closed to new replies.