Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Bird Aether 9A
  • danfay120
    Free Member

That Ron burgundy colour is interesting, do like a vibrant bike. Good job as I’m awaiting my bright yellow AM9.. But did consider one of these

ed-
    Free Member

@bikesandboots

Ideally I’d demo the Aether9c and Al back to back but Reckon theyed feel different enough. But I guess it depends on how you build them up as it’s not just about the frame. Can’t wait to test my Aether9 Al on more rowdy terrain. Have fun with your decision

bikesandboots

So is “Ron Burgundy” burgundy or vibrant red?

red

I really like the red. The pic above is true to life in sunshine but on overcast days or in artifical light it is more pink, it puts me in mind of black cherry yoghurt!

I like that colour, looks way better in your pic than it does on the Bird website

That Ron burgundy colour is interesting, do like a vibrant bike. Good job as I’m awaiting my bright yellow AM9.. But did consider one of these

I like this burgundy https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19884431/ but not the vibrant red as it looks in @Shackleton ‘s photos and Bird’s frame selector cropped photos.

rootes1

Only been out a few times on it. And it feels very similar to the Am9 but a bit more lively. It’s still poppy but don’t think it’s as poppy as the Aether9c, probably because I’ve put heavier components on it and the frames a little bit heavier.
    I debated on the Am9 or aether9 Al I’m glad went with the Aether9 Al.
    Don’t need any more travel.

I have both AM9 and Aether9a and would agreed, very similar ride, but the 9a even with 150 forks just feels a little crisper to ride.

benpinnick

I like this burgundy https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19884431/ but not the vibrant red as it looks in @Shackleton ‘s photos and Bird’s frame selector cropped photos.

Its the pinkbike burgundy

cokie

This is the exact bike I want to replace my Whyte T130RS, but every time I visit the site I can’t build the bike as there’s always parts out of stock. From shocks to stems. I go through the whole options on out of stock items and there’s never anything else to pick. Not even an option to pick a placeholder item and get an ETA. I wouldn’t mind if it was 3-4 months even. I might just leave it and go for the Whyte S120 that’s at the LBS.
    It must be costing them more orders than just mine?

wildfires3

Sadly as helpful as Bird are I suspect they can’t override a global pandemic and Brexit.

Have you tried ringing them and asking them what can be done? Maybe they can get on on order for you even if parts aren’t in stock. If you’re happy to wait.

benpinnick

The reason we don’t put them up when others might and thats because we hate to let people down and at the moment supply is all over the place. Just this morning I chased 2 suppliers of our suspension for firm dates on shock orders I have open for the Aether 7/9/9c As soon as I know them they’ll be online! Also going online today is more cranks for Shimano as stems/bars etc.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

You need to keep checking back on the website. I managed last week to finally get my Aether9A order placed with just the fork showing out of stock (but available to order because they have a firm delivery date). Nice to have something to look forward to 😁

agis2012
    Free Member

This. You gotta keep checking the site.

cokie

ah, so close to ordering with the perfect spec and then they run out of axles 😀 ! I’ll have to keep checking back.

Anyone else got theirs? What are your thoughts?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’d imagine that if you speak to them you could get an order going without using the configurator.

Should get my Aether in the next couple of weeks I hope 🤞

nixie

Order without an axle? Not difficult to find a compatible one.

Can’t wait to get my aether built up. Invisiframe now fitted, wheel build in progress, shock and forks back early next week 😃.

igm

I sent them a small but key part I already had to let them build a complete bike for me. At their suggestion I might add – fantastic people to deal with.

rob13
    Free Member

I’ve got an order in for one, but looks like it might be June before the Pike 140 select are back in. Give them a ring or drop them an email. Couldn’t be more helpful as I also kept trying to order daily without success.

Just wish I’d made a firm decision a month or two ago. Been hoping something from LBS would come in to test but their prices have shot up and the other direct I was considering is now saying August for any more bikes.

cokie

Thanks all- will gve them a call and see if I can lock it in.

Order without an axle?

Their configurator doesn’t let you do it.

nixie

Ah. That could be an issue. It does for frame only so assumed it would for a bike.

cokie

Done! Can’t wait 🙂

cokie

..and it’s here

DougD

Awesome! Mine’s currently awaiting build slot

bonni

Nice! I like the raw finish better than the painted versions. Glad you’ve not been tempted to exceed the bounds of taste with too much coloured kit! 😎

What size is that?

Please let us know how it rides.

weeksy

Cool decals 🙂

Just looked for some of them on Invisframe now for my DPX2, but can’t find… where did you get yours ?

lcj

Try Slik graphics, just got mine from them for my 9A

kayak23

Very nice!

ayjaydoubleyou

Raw frame with a few colour highlights is my new favourite colour scheme I think.
    I’ve seen it done in red too, which goes nicely with some DTswiss rims, and RS coil shocks.

lcj

Here’s my large with orange hope bits (assuming I’ve managed to post a picture). Have some orange graphics for the forks, shock and wheels waiting to go, but thinking all three might be too much?!

Aether 9A

cokie

I used Slik graphics- quality is normally spot on but the galaxy pattern is a little pixelated in this case.

Only cycled round the corner for photos but amazing how long it is and how short the backend is. Feels fun!

Off to a trail centre at the weekend and FOD the following weekend so should give me a good flavour for it.

Size is M/L- I’m 173cm/5’9” and the saddle has gone up a few CM. I’ve got short legs and long torso.

Love that build! Congrats. I think orange decals will finish it off!

lcj

Thanks Cokie, and yours looks great too. Purple would have been my choice if I didn’t already have a host of orange parts from the donor build.

Agree with you about how long it feels. Seems to roll really well though (street tests only so far) and I’m hoping that and the geometry will mask some of the weight of the coil Z1s!

frogrocket
    Free Member

Interested to hear anyone’s experience of their Aether 9 in some really rough stuff. I’m thinking uplift days, Alps, Scottish black runs and Lakeland hike a bike.
    The reason I ask is that I used to do all of the above on a 2010 Spicy frame with 160mm rear and 170mm coil up front and it dealt with all. But it was a pig on long Peak district days, overbiked for trail centres and kind of just flattened everything and made line choice almost irrelevant for most average rides. So whilst it was fast, it kind of took some of the fun away, hence thinking about the Aether 9.
    The reality of the majority of my current riding favours the Aether 9 over the AM9 but eventually I may be back to doing the above types of rougher rides again and I wonder if it would cope. I’d be interested to hear if anyone feels they’ve pushed the their Aether 9 to it’s limits and in what circumstances?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I pressed mine into service at Staunton, FOD a couple of weeks ago, a bit of Mendip limestone action since March and a ‘PIN IT!’ circuit at Cwmcarn, but I won’t get a chance to test it on the Lakes best chunder until September – thanks to Covid for the thrice delayed trip.

FWIW, I changed to an Aether 9C from a Banshee Prime for the trail deadening reasons you cite. So far so good on that front. I think the back end is a bit less cable at high speeds in chunder, but it seems a fairly marginal difference and the geo seems to provide enough stability that you get a good solid wake up about it before causing problems. The flip side is that it climbs and traverses with interest instead of dragging along these sections like a sullen teenager.

nixie

That 9 with orange looks a lot like my 7 :D. Very nice.

joebristol

The reality of the majority of my current riding favours the Aether 9 over the AM9 but eventually I may be back to doing the above types of rougher rides again and I wonder if it would cope. I’d be interested to hear if anyone feels they’ve pushed the their Aether 9 to it’s limits and in what circumstances?

I’ve got a 7 rather than a 9 but I’ve not got to the point yet where it feels out of its depth. I think the point it gets to that is beyond my own skills – I’ve had mine coming on for a year and a half now – ridden Cwmcarn trail centre stuff, FOD DH runs and various off piste, uplift day at BMCC, pedal up day at BPW, laps at Flyup 417 etc – handled all of that no problem. On really choppy stuff it’s a bit slower than my Aeris 145 LT was (170mm Lyrik / 160mm rear) but everywhere else it’s quicker / more fun for me.

I guess the 9 will be even more capable with a bit more rollover from the bigger wheels.

DougD

Am expecting it to be a pretty capable all-rounder, and intend to use it for everything from short spins in the Pentlands, to everything the Tweed Valley has to offer and big days out in the Highlands.

Given availability of stock I’d originally gone for a Pike Select, but was really wanting an Ultimate level fork and whilst upgrade kits are available, it’s cheaper to get an Ultimate fork from the start with Bird. Then a Lyrik Ultimate RC2 became available as an option and whilst there’s a little weight penalty compared to the Pike, I think it should make for a great bike (will be paired with a Deluxe Ultimate rear shock).

Will be really interesting to see how it rides, last full sus was a Yeti ASR 5 about 4/5 years ago and have been on a rigid Surly Krampus 29+ since.

Cokie – what frame protection is that you’ve got fitted, Invisiframe?

Mugboo

Mine is a 7 with a Cane Creek coil and 150mm Pikes and I think it will ride just like you imagine it would. Its not going to handle really chunky stuff like your 170/160 did but the other 95% of the time it will be as much or more fun 🙂

Mugboo

Doug – the Nukeproof frame and chainstay protection fit well enough. Chainstay needed a slight trim at the wheel end. I went with 275 Reactor kit.

cokie

I did the tape myself. 3 hours, a scalpel and lots of patience. Not sure I’d cut it myself again. I see invisiframe now have a kit for this bike. I enjoyed putting it on it was just the shaping that was hard work. Materials was about £25 too.

rootes1

The Ron’s Burgundy colour is really nice, def though one of those colour’s that is really hard to photograph and really changes depending in the light conditions.

bikesandboots

rootes1, have you found the mudguard to hit the fork crown about 8mm from full compression? Mine does with the v1 guard and 140mm 2021 Pike.

rootes1

Hiya, @bikesandboots

This my sisters bike, so not sure will ask, i have a v1 on my aether it does come very close, the later pro guard i fitted to by sisters bike does seem to been redesigned a little to stop this and didn’t recall it hitting when testing with air out of the forks.

docrobster
    Free Member

My aether9 frame arrived today. At 1.81m tall I felt in between a ML and L in size so went for the ML as that has the same reach as my previous bike, just a bit shorter wheelbase due to shorter chainstays, and I’ve gone for Ron burgundy. Turns out it matches our kitchen units…
    With the shortage of parts I’ll be building it up initially with bits from my hardtail- fox 34s at 140mm and slx 11 speed. Everything should be a straight swap.
    Can I just ask about people’s experience with cranks?
    I’ve got some non boost race face cranks that have little spacers on the axle that allow adjustment of chain line so I think in theory I can do a 51mm chainline. This was fine on the hardtail with boost back end but I wondered how close things are to the chainstay, especially through the range of suspension travel. Is there plenty of room? I’ve got a 30t chainring.
    Should I order some proper boost cranks? (I may want to go 165 crank arms at some point in the future too).
    Looking forward to getting g it built up on Saturday.
    Perfect match

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aether 9A’ is closed to new replies.