Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Bird Aether 9A
  • Premier Icon SirHC

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bird-launches-the-aether-9al.html

If I were going to replace the smuggler, it’d be on the potential list.

Would of liked to have seen a longer chainstay, 440ish on a large would be my preference.

No top tube length measurement and the actual seat angle is on the slack side.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

I think the Aethers are designed to be the fun rather than fast bikes, hence the shorter chainstays.

Also, that’s a steep actual seat tube angle for a full-sus 29er – not sure what you’re comparing against?

And the ETT is the first row of the geometry chart.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Looks very nice (I have a 120LT, so I guess I am either biased or just like the familiar)

the actual seat angle is on the slack side

This is definitely a positive for the intended use of rolling terrain and trails – although it will have given up some of the vertical wall climbing ability to acheive this

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

Bike looks good value, I like it. Tough crowd over on pinkbike, this is one of the first comments 🙂

Seems a decent option at the lower price points, but though I’d be laughing when I looked at my bank balance, I’d be sobbing every time I saw those welds.

Premier Icon SirHC

Welds on the raw one look good, although the darker grey doesn’t look as great. At that price point you arn’t getting Nicolai welds…

Premier Icon P20

They do look great value.

Premier Icon convert

Interestingly promoted and described in the STW article…..More fun handling and playful than an AM9 and better for built features of trail centres……

I know it’s marketing spiel, but I was hoping it was going to be the efficient long distance all day natural stuff trail bike to it’s more gnar enduro AM9 brother.

I might be swayed back to the AM9 I think….maybe

Premier Icon AlexSimon

Yes, it’s hard not to read ‘trail centre’ negatively isn’t it?
    I’d be looking for a playful poppy bike for pretty rough peak district stuff, but then again, my quick ride on the AM9 suggested it was quite poppy anyway.

Premier Icon DickBarton

I’ve also got the 120LT and this appears to be similar to that (which also seems to be what the Aether 7 was based on) but with the bigger wheels – will appeal to plenty.

It looks nice, but I’m now starting to lose myself in all the marketing speak, suspect it is ‘just’ a shorter travel AM9, but it needs to be ‘placed’ somewhere to do a job, rather than just being a shorter-travel AM9 for those riders who have a bit more finesse or don’t ride the very big stuff…(which doesn’t sound as fancy as ‘built features of trail centres’).

Premier Icon benpinnick

efficient long distance all day natural stuff trail bike

The AM9 is equally that bike – its very efficient for its travel and can build up pretty light too (for an alu frame). Its a bit more ‘balanced’ and so more of a generalist. The problem is (in my mind) that the slack, tough but shorter travel bikes need to be max fun – which sometimes has some compromises, because dropping 20mm of travel on its own won’t change radically the ride characteristics.

The Aether 9 is very comfy, and pretty efficient though! You should test one if you can.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Looks very nice

I beg to differ, but each to their own!

Free Member

depends entirely on your opinion of the term prior to this morning.

A number of people on here often decry big travel enduro bikes being ridden at trail centres. So the industry truly cannot win.

For what its worth, I’d take the 9A (or my existing 140f 130r bike) on “long distance all day natural stuff” in a heartbeat. I’d go as far to say that that class of bike is actually ideal for it, especially in bigger wheeled guise.

Bigger travel bikes I’d personally reserve for downhill/bikepark (ie repeating known trails in an attempt for more speed, bigger features) and competitive DH/enduro racing.

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

I’m now starting to lose myself in all the marketing speak, suspect it is ‘just’ a shorter travel AM9

The fork is 140mm vs 150 on the AM9 so not a lot shorter. Granted it is 20mm on the back but it still isn’t night and day different.

Unless the geometry is quite different and that gives it a different feel?

Premier Icon benpinnick

I was just trying to be honest 🙂 This bike is aimed at the sort of riding that a lot of people do now; let’s go for more than 50% trail centre (and that includes the likes of golfie etc. – all purpose built trails even though its not an official ‘Trail Centre’). If I wanted to make something specifically for the byway type riding that constitutes a lot of the miles of what I used to ride in the peaks I would probably have raised the BB a bit and maybe lopped a little off the travel so you could swap out to something lighter with shorter travel up front which would shift the balance towards long all day riding.

Not to say we’re not going to make one of those of course….

As with all bikes if its really good at something thats like what you want, there’s a damn good chance it will be good at that too. You need to decide on what your priorities are and then test one anyway 😉 and besides, everyone has their preference. 3 years ago a 64.5/65 degree 130 mm travel bike would have been crazy talk.

Unless the geometry is quite different and that gives it a different feel?

The back end makes a big difference to the ride, it’s really noticeable.

Premier Icon joebristol

Just on bigger travel vs shorter travel with shorter chainstays I’ve had the 650b version of the AM9 and now have the Aether 7.

I find the Aether is a more efficient pedalling platform and just generally feels more playful. It’s still at home on steep ish tech stuff – it’s only at higher speeds through rock gardens and really rooty stuff you can feel it slow vs the longer travel option. I’d guess at times the shorter chainstays will give less stability but I haven’t really noticed that – what I have noticed is it’s easier to get turned on steep switchback type corners and it also manuals easier.

So for me the Aether is the all rounder and the AM9 is the rock smasher. I know 2 other people who have the Aether 7 – they’ve moved from an AM9 and Aeris 1.5 respectively and think they’re great all rounders.

Premier Icon enigmas
    Free Member

430mm chainstays on an XL 29er

I’m out.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

My eyes are drawn to the terrible welds around the shock mount, also the difference in welding between the the two pics, if it wasnt stickered up I’d think it was a prototype bossnut 3 or whatever number Go outdoors are up to.

Premier Icon greeny30
    Free Member

It’s like every welder at bird has a different approach to welding that shock mount, the raw one with Pikes and red bits is a bit wiggly in comparison to the others, I’d love to see a spot welded example of that mount to work out which one is worse.
    The frames arent even that good value cos everything is an extra, they dont even throw in a seat clamp, they’ll be doing the bearings as optional extras next and putting frames in smaller boxes for self assembly.

Premier Icon benpinnick

@greeny30 you appreciate nothing is ‘thrown in’? If I send you a clamp then you’re still paying for it, but you might not want or use it.

Its £1390 including Deluxe, Rear axle and seat clamp in your choice of silver or black… If you need one.

Premier Icon ed-
    Free Member

@benpinnick

I’ve ordered one.
    The raw one in the end size large.

I hope to get it as soon as possible 😉

The only concern is the 200 dropper isn’t too big. But I’m sure bird will look after me.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/bird-aether-9/

Free Member

@greeny30 you appreciate nothing is ‘thrown in’? If I send you a clamp then you’re still paying for it, but you might not want or use it.

Its £1390 including Deluxe, Rear axle and seat clamp in your choice of silver or black… If you need one.

I think its a good balance. There is an element of easyjet to the pricing, but the online configurator and the excellent and patient assistance from the team at bird more than make up for it – and I’d rather have lots of choice than no choice.

Mostly, I’m happy that frame only is a reasonable price (most of the brit brands seem to do this) compared with the German directs and US giants that seem to make frame only £100 cheaper than the lowest full build.

Premier Icon benpinnick

… especially when I typo it. £1290 sorry

Premier Icon jimmyjuju
    Free Member

@benpinnick apologies if it’s sitting somewhere on the website but, can we have a frame weight as you do on the other models?

Also, raw looks mint. Great job.

Premier Icon benpinnick

Hmm, I thought I put it on. I will sort that tomorrow.

Its 3060g up (no shock).

Premier Icon jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Nice one, ta.

Premier Icon SirHC

That’s good for an ali frame. For reference my Smuggler is 4kg with shock

Premier Icon Mugboo

I think the real value of the Birds is the fact that you can choose the spec, seat clamp or not, and that most components include the weight too. Most bikes I looked at are covered in SRAM or have wheels I don’t want, etc. I’ve specced up an Aether 7 and its come out a bargain compared with a bigger brand.

Add in great customer service too and you are onto a winner.

Premier Icon ed-
    Free Member

@benpinnick

Regarding wheel’s ATM I’ve specced
    Hope Pro4/DT Swiss EX511 but I could down grade my brakes put alloy bar and not but a couple of hope stuff on there and I’d save 350£ and that money could go towards the carbon rims? Any thoughts

Premier Icon joebristol

@ed-

If you think you’ll want carbon wheels it makes financial sense to do it now – much cheaper getting them ‘oem’ in this case than trying to buy them rrp at a later date. You can always do carbon bars / Hope bling at a later date. Although brake wise I really don’t think Hope are worth extra money over something decent like a Sram Code or G2.

Premier Icon ed-
    Free Member

@joebristol

Went for code RSC so could save 124 if I went for guide Re. Plus save from other bits.

I wasn’t planning on carbon wheels. But if I save that cash (350) it’s 395£ upgrade for carbon wheels. So hense this discussion.

From what I’ve heard that it’s the frame, suspension and wheels are number one importance

Premier Icon convert

Hmmmm – only the base model rear rockshox rear shock available to spec at the moment.

The bike radar test version used in the review had the RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate. That’s not an option to spec and nor are XT brakes.

I fear I might become a fussy customer! Mind you this is my first new mtb since 2009 and the first bike I’ve not built up from a frameset since 1998 so I’d like it to be ‘mine’.

Premier Icon Shackleton

From what I’ve heard that it’s the frame, suspension and wheels are number one importance

Very much this. The only extra bit I would pony up for is brakes, everything else is pretty much a consumable or relatively cheap to swap afterwards once you know what you want.

Hmmmm – only the base model rear rockshox rear shock available to spec at the moment.

There were others yesterday so I suspect they have sold out. Email Bird what you want and they can probably give you a price and ETD.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“Hmmmm – only the base model rear rockshox rear shock available to spec at the moment.”

In the current industry situation that’s a lot better than most companies are doing. Lead times on so many bikes are months.

I’ve got a Deluxe RL on my bike, and the bike before had a DBair. I’m amazed at how good it is!

Premier Icon benpinnick

The bike radar test version used in the review had the RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate. That’s not an option to spec and nor are XT brakes.

I fear I might become a fussy customer! Mind you this is my first new mtb since 2009 and the first bike I’ve not built up from a frameset since 1998 so I’d like it to be ‘mine’.

XT brakes I can’t help you with Im afraid. They’re out for another month or so… well actally pick a time and thats how long they might be. Ordering Shimano today it will arrive… in 2022. No joke.

We do have XT already on order due in end of Jan but its likely delayed between brexit, existing port chaos and general christmas carnage, so I am thinking Feb sometime. We have OE Deore, and to be frank there’s so little difference between them I would get that and then you can upgrade later without having burned a load of cash doing so if you’re in a hurry.

The shock on the test bike is also delayed 🙁 Thats gone back to August but were hoping for it to come in earlier. Its a new shock so not something we just keep in stock, unlike the two deluxe options we normally have, I think we’re due some ultimates in those this week.

Fussy is great, thats what we do, but tricky at the moment! Leadtimes have gone from 30-90 days to 120-365+!

Premier Icon ed-
    Free Member

@benpinnick

Regarding wheel’s ATM I’ve specced
    Hope Pro4/DT Swiss EX511 but I could down grade my brakes put alloy bar and not but a couple of hope stuff on there and I’d save 350£ and that money could go towards the carbon rims? Any thoughts ben

Premier Icon convert

Fussy is great, thats what we do, but tricky at the moment! Leadtimes have gone from 30-90 days to 120-365+!

Cheers Ben, thanks so much. Think i’ve got a plan….

Premier Icon benpinnick

Hi Ed, The RRP on the wheels is £630 more than you’re paying if you go for the carbon, so yes it pays to upgrade early rather than late. However for the money (£395) for the Hope/DT combo they are super good value too.

Personally I would buy based on where I was riding. Rocks etc. stay alu, smoother trails/more woodsy the carbon is a great bet. The hubs in those wheels are nearly £600 to buy on their own! If you go Carbon I would definitely invest in a set of the CushCore XC if you can. Its piece of mind for those rougher sections.

Premier Icon ed-
    Free Member

@benpinnick

That makes sense. I’ve a tendency to thrash things so I guess 511 rims are the safe option. But as you said it’s better to make a decision now vs down the line.
    I ride many Surrey hills but with trips to Wales and maybe an odd trip to France.
    And carbon rims I guess will feel more lively?

Premier Icon SirHC

XM481’s will be more than upto the job. Have 600,000ft of descending on a pair, loads of rim strikes, not a single dent or significant wobbly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.