Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Bird Aether 9A
  • wildfires3

FYI Deore vs SLX vs XT brakes

There’s not much in it performance or feel wise, if you are comparing 44 or 222 (pots).

The XT get the mostly useless bite point adjuster (via a screw), tool free reach adjust, banjo and you use an allen key to get the pads out, so you don’t need to carry pliers with you and are black.

SLX is identical except no bite point adjust and are painted blue.

Deore, you need an allen key to adjust the reach, the pads are secured by a split pin and there is no banjo on the hose. I believe the pistons are not ceramic either.

I went from Deore to SLX and a riding buddy bought XT.

benpinnick

I believe the pistons are not ceramic either.

Deore 4 pots have the ceramic pistons.

WildHunter2009

I think I will need to try and get a test on this and the 27.5 in the new year. Could go frame only on the 27.5 and swap everything over from my cotic but i do really fancy trying the big wheels.

How different do the aethers feel from each other?

jairaj

@benpinnick, Whats the difference between the Aeris 120 and the Aether 9?

Similar travel bikes doesn’t necessarily mean similar sort of bike but the marketing blurb for each bike doesn’t really differentiate them for me. Or is the Aether 9 designed to replace the Aeris 120? Thank you.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The Aether 7 is closer to the 120, wheel size wise at least. I suspect the 120 will be discontinued

benpinnick

As above the Aether 7 replaced the 120, and the Aether 9 is an Aether 7 with 29er wheels (At a basic level anyway). But actually because the 29er is more efficient its fair to say the Aether 9 is a closer replacement for the 120 than the Aether 7 is.

jairaj

great thanks for the info.

ed-
    Free Member

Regarding handle bar width and riser am 6’2 on large Aether9 Al.

Ive got Bird bar, 800mm and 20 riser, should I get it less wide?
    And 20 Vs 35 riser on this bike?

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated

lewis75
    Free Member

I’m a similar height to you and have 800mm wide bars with a 35mm rise. Its all personal preference but if you get the 800 bars and they feel to wide just chop them down. Same goes for the 35mm rise, if they feel too high you can just pop a few of the spacers above the stem until you feel out your preferred position.
    I have an Aether 7 and an AM9, both amazing bikes, Im sure the Aether 9A will be amazing too.

ed-
    Free Member

@lewis75

Yes I guess I can cut it down. That’s what I thought.

Hmm I’ve ordered a 20mm riser bar.
    Maybe I should get a 35mm one instead?

@benpinnick

bikesandboots

I believe the 35mm would be considered a high rise, and be the one to go for if you spend a lot of time going down steep things.

There are some pros and cons listed here: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-right-mtb-handlebar-rise/

chiefgrooveguru

“I believe the 35mm would be considered a high rise, and be the one to go for if you spend a lot of time going down steep things.”

I used to run lower bars but more recently discovered that high rise works better. I think it’s a body proportions thing – if you have long legs then your hips are higher so your bars should be higher. Conversely if you’re the same height but have shorter legs and thus a longer torso, your hips will be lower so you need less bar height but you also need more frame reach.

The steepness of trails makes a difference too but I don’t think it’s as large a difference.

ed-
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru Totally understand with about the terrain you ride. Thanks for the point about the torso/legs, makes sense good point. Cheers

rob13
    Free Member

So has anyone got one yet? I’m 5’8, and I was looking at medium but they’re pretty much sold out of those with only the odd ML left. @benpinnick you getting any more in? I notice some of the equipment lead times are about March April which would be perfect for me.

Shackleton

New bird for the bird. Building it up today…….

cbr9
    Free Member

3 rides in on mine and loving it!

aether 9

convert

What shock and forks do you go for there?

cbr9
    Free Member

Fox 36 and DPX2. Bought frame and wheels from Bird and a mixture of parts from previous bike and second hand stuff.

jonundercover
    Free Member

Have you seen the state of Orange welds? And how inconsistent they are? Depending on how many beers the apprentice had the night before.

ryanmart96
    Free Member

Another Bird Aether 9A in the wild

ryanmart96
    Free Member

Here’s my Aether 9A, I’m 5’7” and went for the size medium. I never thought I’d get on with 29” wheels but I love it!

mattcartlidge

That looks really nice, not too much orange, is it set up mullet or is that the camera angle?

ryanmart96
    Free Member

I didn’t want it to look like I’d fallen through the Burgtec/Hope shop and bought every orange item! As they say less is more. That’s just the camera angle, but I could see a mullet being pretty cool.

Shackleton

The wife’s medium in Ron Burgundy just before it got properly mucky (and crashed). I have to say I’m impressed with the build, manufacture and weld quality – it has been designed to be cheap(ish) not cheaply designed (a compliment). And the red in real life is lovely.

cany0n
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Trying to decide between a Bird Aether 9 I’ve specced and the Vitus Escarpe 29 CRS.

The Aether has better tyres, brakes and shifter, whilst the Escarpe has 10mm more travel at the front and back, a carbon front triangle, bigger rotors, internal routing and space for a bigger water bottle.

Any thoughts on what would be the better choice? Prices are identical.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The wife’s medium in Ron Burgundy

I like that colour, looks way better in your pic than it does on the Bird website

wildfires3

I think the question you need to ask yourself is “are the difference’s deal breakers?”

Parts, you can change and if you want bigger rotors then they upgrade price is not much really (unless you are going for Ice-tech). You can spec bigger forks too.

So, will the carbon RT and the +10mm of travel make a huge difference to you, whether it’s mentally or in real world performance? e.g. some people just want the “carbon effect” and “mentally bigger travel”, others it doesn’t matter. Those two features are the ones you can’t change.

Do you use a water bottle regularly?

I would look at the geo more than the parts. The Aether is longer in reach and ETT and has a lower BB, with 10mm shorter chainstays (medium to medium size). And then if you want the suspension curves etc and see what the kinematics are like.

oikeith

Here’s my Aether 9A, I’m 5’7” and went for the size medium. I never thought I’d get on with 29” wheels but I love it!

Bonus points for valves inline with tyre logos and pedals/cranks level

benpinnick

bigger rotors, internal routing and space for a bigger water bottle.

Rotors are the size you specify, if you are running the Select+ or Deluxe Ultimate shocks you can have any bottle size you like (Within reason)

LAT

The wife’s medium in Ron Burgund

that looks great. love the colour.

one more thing, where did you get the sunshine?

cany0n
    Free Member

Rotors are the size you specify, if you are running the Select+ or Deluxe Ultimate shocks you can have any bottle size you like (Within reason)

That’s a good point – cheers Ben. I hadn’t realised bigger rotors were such a cheap upgrade. Do you have any links to pictures of the bike with a larger water bottle? All of the ones I’ve seen have looked to be <500ml. Thanks

cany0n
    Free Member

I think the question you need to ask yourself is “are the difference’s deal breakers?”

The differences definitely aren’t deal-breakers, I suspect I would be very happy with either bike. I’m mainly interested in seeing whether most people would lean towards one of them, as I’m having a hard time deciding.

Honestly I don’t know how much of a difference carbon frame and +10mm of travel would give. I’m currently running a 120mm hardtail so I don’t have a great point of reference. I do use a large water bottle at the moment.

I’ll take another look at how the geometry will affect the feel of the bike – thanks.

I do like the idea of supporting a smaller UK retailer, especially with Bird’s excellent customer service reputation.

ed-
    Free Member

@wildfires3

It’s a good comparison between those two bikes. I debated too. I’ve gone with the Bird Aether9 Al in the end. I could pick and choose what I wanted and what really did it was having birds customer service.

I don’t have too much experience on different bikes. I’ve spec ed the Aether9 Al quite roudy super deluxe ultimate, 150 pike,etc..

Only been out a few times on it. And it feels very similar to the Am9 but a bit more lively. It’s still poppy but don’t think it’s as poppy as the Aether9c, probably because I’ve put heavier components on it and the frames a little bit heavier.
    I debated on the Am9 or aether9 Al I’m glad went with the Aether9 Al.
    Don’t need any more travel.

I would of liked to demo the XL Aether9 Al I when with the L Aether9. I feel Im in-between both sizes.

Good luck with your choice

wildfires3

@cany0n I can only speak for my own experience, but the customer service at Bird is fantastic. They always answer the phone and emails and in person they are really happy to answer questions they have probably heard thousands of times, without making you feel like you are doing so.

When I got my Zero 29 I was getting back in after a 20 year gap and wasn’t sure if it was sensible or not. I asked if I should upgrade anything apart from the forks for my beginner bike.

The guys said to save my money. They could have scalped me for wheels and component upgrades etc.

So 7 months later there was only one place getting my new bike money.

The bikes are great. The build quality is excellent and I had done 1600 hard miles on mine since June, night rides, crashes, mud, clay, sand. The only issue I’ve had is my dropper post cable and that was after 1550 miles. All the new bikes in my riding group have failed, mostly due to poor building.

I’ve kept up with FS bikes on the Zero and it is far more capable than me!

hb70

My AM9 arrived last February and is the single thing that kept me sane during the last 12 months. the best customer service, from any company, in any market, for any product I’ve ever experienced. A good bike made by nice people. All of my downhill records have gone in the last 12 months. And after 2 months of nightly turbo training I’m outclimbing the times I set 6 years ago. Good bike. Nice people. Great value. Nothing more to say really.

cany0n
    Free Member

I would of liked to demo the XL Aether9 Al I when with the L Aether9. I feel Im in-between both sizes.

@ed- Sounds like a great spec! What height are you? I’m 6 ft 1, was thinking I’d go for a large.

cany0n
    Free Member

I can only speak for my own experience, but the customer service at Bird is fantastic.

Sounds like a great experience – thanks for the input!

ed-
    Free Member

@cany0n

I’m 6’2 long torso short legs.im on a large.
    It fits ok XL probably be a bit too long plus the XL with such short chainstays isn’t what I’d want.

The large is what you want at 6’1.

I’ve got short legs but still managed to fit a 213 dropper on lol.

I’m looking forward to seeing how it handles in more downhill terrain because today she was flying downhill.

Shackleton

@LAT @Rubber_Buccaneer

I really like the red. The pic above is true to life in sunshine but on overcast days or in artifical light it is more pink, it puts me in mind of black cherry yoghurt!

Sunshine courtesy of Dundee…….

And I found dealing with bird too be an absolute pleasure and will likely do so again when my bike needs replacing.

bikesandboots

Only been out a few times on it. And it feels very similar to the Am9 but a bit more lively. It’s still poppy but don’t think it’s as poppy as the Aether9c, probably because I’ve put heavier components on it and the frames a little bit heavier.
    I debated on the Am9 or aether9 Al I’m glad went with the Aether9 Al.
    Don’t need any more travel.

I have the same debate. Good to hear that, sounds like what I want having demoed an AM9 and found it soaked things up too much for my riding. I was quite set on it but had some doubts after the “trail centre bike” launch stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aether 9A’ is closed to new replies.