Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Billie Eye Lash
  • johndoh
    Free Member

did i say that? t

Not in so many words, however you seem to suggest that you can throw money at someone and create success. I am sure you know that is not the case and that she has a genuine talent.

tenfoot

thanks for confirming my presumption. Wasn’t really needed.

Actually I was trying to point out that the tickets that were £200 each were probably that much because viagogo is a reselling site.

bazzer
    Free Member

Allegedly the album was recorded in a bedroom with Logic Pro X on a mac. No acoustically treated room etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Actually I was trying to point out that the tickets that were £200 each were probably that much because viagogo is a reselling site.

And in doing so, confirmed… etc 🙂
    Nearly 300quid just for a few hours of live music is completely nuts imo.

kayak23

I was going to book for Supergrass, but then saw the tickets were £50 odd. Didn’t bother. You could buy a bso for that! 😳

DezB
    Free Member

I saw them when they were good and that was about a tenner 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

It is a shame because gigs now are a special treat (we have taken our girls to a couple and are going to see Camilla Cabello) but they are too expensive to go regularly. When I was a student I would be going to 2 or 3 a week sometimes.

My first gig was in 1982 and cost £2.75 (Iron Maiden on the Beast on the Road tour). That would be around £11 today allowing for inflation.

FB-ATB

For the grandads moaning about the price of gigs, I think its a reflection of the drop in album/single revenue. BITD bands toured to promote the album- tours would be lucky to break even and money made on album sales. Now with streaming etc its the only way for them to get the ££.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Not in so many words, however you seem to suggest that you can throw money at someone and create success. I am sure you know that is not the case and that she has a genuine talent.

and you are totally missing the point. the ‘talent’ has to have something in order for the music business to take a punt on and invest. she obviously has a talent, a record company has spent a significant amount of money on enabling that talent in the hope of making lots of money, they wouldn’t do that on a pretty face unable to sing with 2 pages of sixth form prose to their name (worked for Morrisey though!). like lots of acts i doubt she would get to sing Bond themes without the help of music biz enablers. i bet there’s lots of singers like her out there just without the bottom line potential.

DezB
    Free Member

Nobody’s moaning about the price of gigs. Gigs I go to are very reasonable thanks.

And I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, if it’s the drop in revenue blah-di-blah, why is it the bigger, more successful artists charging the most ridiculous amounts?

FB-ATB

to fund the private jets

nealglover
    Free Member

My first gig was in 1982 and cost £2.75 (Iron Maiden on the Beast on the Road tour). That would be around £11 today allowing for inflation.

To be fair, you can probably still go to a gig at Bracknell Sports Centre for £11 now 👍

verses

Saw the Stroppies last year for a fiver. Saw The Interrupters last week for £25. Seeing Squid next month for eleven (s)quid.

I’m also seeing Aerosmith and Foo Fighters later in the year for *coughty-ahem* pounds.

Not sure what my point is, but there are reasonably priced gigs out there, you just can’t expect to see the biggest bands/artists/flavours-of-the-month in the world for a fiver. I’m not sure you ever could (allowing for inflation).

johndoh
    Free Member

Not sure what my point is, but there are reasonably priced gigs out there, you just can’t expect to see the biggest bands/artists/flavours-of-the-month in the world for a fiver. I’m not sure you ever could (allowing for inflation).

Agreed, but even in 1982 Iron Maiden had been in the top 40 some 6 or 7 times (top 10 with Run To The Hills) so they were a pretty well known band performing in larger venues, not some relatively unknown band. (Around the time I saw Maiden I used to see a local band called Syar – their tickets were 50p IIRC).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Allegedly the album was recorded in a bedroom with Logic Pro X on a mac. No acoustically treated room etc.

Dead room, close mic everything, add reverb later. Any flaws call ‘feel’. What’s not to love. Now if she had a brass band or gospel choir in there I could see a problem.

kelvin

No Time To Die sounds better and better with every listen.

dazh

What’s not to like? The only gigs I’ve seen this level of audience sing-a-long is New Model Army gigs when they play Green And Grey.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Let the sky-FAAAAAAW
    When it cu-BBAAAAW
    We will sta-TAAAW

*puts foot through TV*

Cougar wins thread.

LOL’d

CountZero

It is a shame because gigs now are a special treat (we have taken our girls to a couple and are going to see Camilla Cabello) but they are too expensive to go regularly. When I was a student I would be going to 2 or 3 a week sometimes.

I paid £2.50 to see Led Zeppelin play Earle’s Court! And I’ve got a poster upstairs for Supertramp, playing Chippenham Technical College, 50p, NUS members 45p!
    That was just before ’Crime Of The Century’ came out, they played Bristol Colston Hall six months later.
    There was a time a gig at a smallish venue like The Fleece would cost around £8, now it’s closer to £20; I saw Smoke Fairies at Rough Trade Bristol a week or so ago, that’s a pretty intimate venue, tickets were £25. I still balk at spending more than £45 on a ticket, though, although I did spend a bit more for King Crimson last year, but I’d waited fifty years to see them…
    The most I’ve ever paid was £145 for Kate Bush, but that was pretty much a once in a lifetime experience, and I had front row centre seats as well.
    It’s a bit foxed, but here’s my Supertramp poster, just to show the tickets really were that cheap.
    And it was 46 years ago… 😁

raybanwomble
    Free Member

@countzero

/s

Add-Content [-CountZero] [-1] Object[SenseofHumour.exe]

The most I’ve ever paid was £145 for Kate Bush, but that was pretty much a once in a lifetime experience

Led Zepplin to Kate Bush…. is that an allegory for the demise of the hippy generation?

MoreCashThanDash

Extortionate gig tickets?

MCJnr just had a 3 day residential with the county orchestra = £90

They finish with a concert and you bring them home after – still another £10 per ticket for the concert, and of course grandparents want to go along to see him perform

FML

DezB
    Free Member

Add-Content [-CountZero] [-1] Object[SenseofHumour.exe]

😆

johndoh
    Free Member

The most I’ve ever paid was £145 for Kate Bush

The only band I would pay really big money to see would be a reformed Pink Floyd – I’d happily sell a testicle to see that.

alpin
    Free Member

What’s not to like? The only gigs I’ve seen this level of audience sing-a-long is New Model Army gigs when they play Green And Grey.

That really is just a **** racket, though!

DrJ

I paid £2.50 to see Led Zeppelin play Earle’s Court!

That’s nothing – I saw The Stones for FREE in 2016 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

That’s nothing – I saw The Stones for FREE in 2016

That’s nothing – I saw Queen free in 1976. I don’t know what that is at today’s prices…

IdleJon

The price of gigs is a little bit random, I’ve noticed. Locally, I can go to see Whitesnake and Foreigner on the same bill for £64, Stormzy for £50 or Barry Manilow for £64. Simply Red, however, are £75 and Crowded House are the same!

And I did wonder who would book tickets for the Billy Ocean/Heather Small thing at Burghley last year. £50, with £10 to park. Different tastes…

Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Billie Eye Lash’ is closed to new replies.