Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)
  • Billie Eye Lash
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’m 56 and think she’s brilliant, Lovely is a monster of a tune.

If it’s formulaic, go right ahead and formulate your own multi million selling single.
    🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂😂🤣

IHN

I wouldn’t recognise anything else she’s done, cos I’m 45, but just listened to the Bond theme and it’s very Bond-esque; stirring strings, hints of twangly guitar, final chord. It is a bit dull though.

Harry_the_Spider

Just listened to the Bond Theme song never having heard any of her music before.

I thought it was excellent. Proper haunting stuff that reflects Daniel Craig’s take on the character with a nod to the traditional themes. You can imagine Bond being alone, miserable and haunted by his past.

She’s going to have to make room on her shelf for the Best Original Song Oscar about this time next year as it was way better than Skyfall and the Sam Smith one that both won.

Only I wish that I hadn’t heard it, as I suspect it is absolutely riddled with plot spoilers.

HtS, aged 51.

vongassit
    Free Member

Bring back the birch! What them kids need is national service & various other old man mutterings.

doomanic

I don’t have much of an opinion on Billie as a person as I don’t know enough about her but I thought the new Bond theme was dire. Even worse than the Jack White Alicia Keys one.

Cougar

Really? It sounds like a kid has ripped off Adele’s Skyfall 🤔

Does the kid at least manage to get to the end of her words? Only Adele could rhyme “fall” with “crumbles.”

Let the sky-FAAAAAAW
    When it cu-BBAAAAW
    We will sta-TAAAW

*puts foot through TV*

kelvin

I didn’t like her. My kids then played me bits of a few of her tracks without letting me know it was her… they were all damn good. So there you go, we older folk can be prejudiced towards young artists even when we feel sure that we’re being objective.

Cougar

Just listened to the Bond theme. I’d no idea she’d done it before reading this thread and am unfamiliar with anything else she’s done.

I thought she’s got a great voice but the song itself is a bit weary for a Bond theme. Never really quite gets going, does it.

Drac

Does the kid at least manage to get to the end of her words? Only Adele could rhyme “fall” with “crumbles.”

Don’t panic it sounds nothing like it.

So there you go, we older folk can be prejudiced towards young artists even when we feel sure that we’re being objective.

Duh!

kelvin

Bond theme for goths.

= :87)

Actually, I like that it doesn’t have the big bond theme cheese. Darker.

dirkpitt74

And I thought she was called Bille Irish…….

DezB
    Free Member

So there you go, we older folk can be prejudiced towards young artists even when we feel sure that we’re being objective

Some of us are prejudiced against the old ones 🙂

Digby

Bond theme for goths.

This made me smile!

I’m 52 and I like some of her her stuff as for me it has a whiff of Portishead – album has a couple of slow-ish tracks but she’s really got something performing live … and a great relationship/rapour with her audience.

and +1 for what DezB said.

DezB
    Free Member

And since when has the bleedin James Bond them… Oh, I said that already.

verses

Drac
    Duh!

You’re the baaaad guy?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

She’s no Billie Piper. 😉

dirkpitt74

Just listened to the Bond Theme – I quite like it, better than Sam Smith and Adele’s offering – still not a patch on Chris Cornell though….
    But as others have said it seems like a better match for the ‘haunted soul’ that Bond appears to have become over the last 2 or 3 films.

ctk
    Free Member

Like “everything I wanted” and its good to play on the guitar.

Also as above appreciate the fact that there is a female pop artist that doesn’t feel the need to sing in her underwear.

Cougar

Yeah, she uses a microphone instead.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have been listening to a bit of her over lunch – I like it, she sounds quite like a bit more ‘poppy’ Lana Del Rey which is a good thing.

slackalice
    Free Member

In that video up there ⬆️ She doesn’t move much does she?

The word that springs to mind on first listen is…. turgid.

sirromj

Have to say I’ve not listened to any of her music. She’s last weeks next big thing, she’s big now, so it’s my default behaviour to ignore anything that’s big. But even if she wasn’t. I don’t like the look of her. That blue hair and black treacle shit dripping out her eyes. Eurghhhyuck.

h4muf
    Free Member

Skyfall best bond theme since A-ha and Duran Duran imho.

funkmasterp

I like some of her stuff, BUT – don’t you think it’s bloody refreshing to have a singer who’s made it WITHOUT showing young kids the way to success is to cover yourself in fake tan and have your tits and arse hanging out?

Could not agree more. Looks should have no bearing on it. Imagine if Janis Joplin arrived on the scene today as opposed to the sixties. She’d probably get dismissed and that would be shit.

I’ve never heard Billie’s music, but I’m going to listen to it tonight target audience or not.

Sandwich

Just having a listen now, the last album is a Master Tape on Tidal and is very bass heavy. Very like Lana del Ray in style.

EDIT

That blue hair and black treacle shit dripping out her eyes

She speaks highly of you so I’m told.

ctk
    Free Member

CountZero

She’s shit because she doesn’t do enough drugs.

**** kids these days with their straight edge vegan music.

Proper musicians snort lines of coke and throw TVs out of hotel windows.

I do hope you left /s off by accident…

No wonder teenage suicide rates are rising, more self harm theme than bond theme. I’m not suggesting she dresses more provocatively but does she have to dress like a kid hiding her underage pregnancy. Probably hiding self inflicted scars.

Christ, quite the piece of work, aren’t you! That is, quite frankly, a deeply offensive thing to say, and you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Whatever you think of her music or her clothes, or her eye make up, as a role model for my daughter I would take her way over little mix every day of the week.

roger_mellie

but does she have to dress like a kid hiding her underage pregnancy

Apparently she dresses in large clothes so that people focus on her music rather than commenting on her body. Hope that helps.

tenfoot

A friend of mine got me listening to her 18 months or so ago and I got my daughter into her. The earlier EPs are excellent and I prefer them to some of the stuff on the LP. Wish I had that much talent now, never mind when I was 17/18.

We’re off to see her at the O2 in July ( and Lana Del Rey in a couple of weeks)

colournoise

As a media construct she’s clearly divisive along generational lines. This is a good thing.

Musically there’s not much that original there, but the mix of influences is done in a fresh way and what she does is done VERY well. Assuming her brother does the production, he knows his stuff. I like the ‘bedroom’ vibe – brings a nice punk sensibility the whole thing. At 50 and as a product of the mid-80s, I dig the whole pop goth thing – takes me right back to my days as a Bob Smith wannabe. Overall I’d rather her than any number of identikit pop sirens.

Having said that, the Bond theme is dire. There’s the gem of something good there, but she’s clearly been stifled a bit by the needs of the franchise and the big production. I was vainly hoping for something less corporate.

joelowden

MM… i’d rather listen to Celeste myself..

colournoise

The current Celeste single sounds somewhat like Adele though, no? Not as distinctive as her previous jazz tinged stuff?

pondo

My enjoyment of music got much better as soon as I got my head out of my arse and learned that there’s very little bad music out, just music I don’t like (and there’s a big difference between the two).

I heard Nile Rodgers tell a great anecdote about complaining to his jazz tutor about performing top 40 records during a show.

“I’ve got to play these bullshit songs like, ‘sugar, sugar, ohhh honey honey’—it’s all lame stuff,” Rodgers recounted telling his tutor. His jazz tutor answered that any song that sells and gets to the top 40, top 20 or top 10 is a great composition. Rodgers asked him, how can you call, “Sugar, Sugar” a great composition? “And he said something that changed my life. He said, ‘Because it speaks to the souls of a million strangers.’” 

DezB
    Free Member

Eh? I don’t get it.

johnjn2000

I payed little attention when my daughter was playing the odd track of hers on a playlist, I then watched her performance at Glastonbury……she was awesome. Despite walking on to the stage looking like she took wardrobe advice from Kevin & Perry, and then having a malfunction with her mask, she was just ace. 17yrs old and had the crowd in her hand, bouncing away, and singing back at her.

I have since listened to everything she has done (which granted isn’t much) and I can’t find a terrible track among them. Sounds amazing on CD with a good set of speakers, or with decent headphones, never ceases to amaze me how much goes missing from music when it is streamed at lower quality.

CountZero

Having listened to the Bond theme in full I really like it, she’s got a good set of pipes on her when she cuts loose, it’s got a terrific string arrangement and I think it’s one of the best Bond themes in some years, certainly better than the Sam Smith one.
    While what I’ve heard of her stuff, which isn’t much, isn’t really my kind of music, at least she writes her own material, and can sing without being bloody autotuned out of existence.

kayak23

Bunnyhop

It’s a NO from me.
    Lyrics for a Bond theme need to be sung clearly. It just sounds like she’s drunk and slurring away.

Looking forward to the film though.

johndoh
    Free Member

Lyrics for a Bond theme need to be sung clearly.

Why?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Billie Eye Lash’ is closed to new replies.