Viewing 25 posts - 321 through 345 (of 345 total)
  • Bikehut 1600 Light
  • pealy
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to a good replacement mount ? The fleabay Urls posted earlier don’t work

Since they no longer come with the out-front mount, does anyone know what you can buy to screw into the bottom of the light to make it go-pro mount compatible? I have a go-pro clone with a mount but the screw that goes into the bottom of the camera (which is the same size you use into a camera for a tripod) is too big to fit into the bottom of the light after the rubber strap is removed..

Any ideas?

pealy
    Free Member

does anyone know what you can buy to screw into the bottom of the light

Looks like it uses the same mounting as the Lezyne 450XL etc – so you can get a little adapter and re-use the mounting screw from the rubber strap.

Eg: Here’s the kind of thing on ebay

Superficial
    Free Member

I bought one last week (Sheffield Queens road) and it came with the out front mount. Annoyingly I only discovered this having also bought the separate Halfords-branded out front light mount (£10) which came with the GoPro mount stuff.

PM me if you want to buy it otherwise I’ll try and take it back for a refund.

darksideby182

Picked one up today and although i have not ridden with it yet i am impressed with how it lights up the garden over my cheap planet x light from last year, also with the amount of accessories it came with.

flatpat
    Free Member

I finally tried out the supplied front mount after making do with the rubber strap for a while.

The mount fitted snugly on my 35mm bars and didn’t move. However I couldn’t tighten the GoPro mount enough to stop the torch flopping. I suppose it’s pretty heavy to sit on a pivot mount like that.

Next step a Hope mount or similar like everyone else!

molgrips
    Free Member

The mount fitted snugly on my 35mm bars and didn’t move. However I couldn’t tighten the GoPro mount enough to stop the torch flopping. I suppose it’s pretty heavy to sit on a pivot mount like that.

Electrical tape on the handlebar. Should only need a couple of layers on a 35mm bar.

cp

Electrical tape on the handlebar. Should only need a couple of layers on a 35mm bar.

Think he means it’s moving on the actual go pro pivot rather than the bar bit of the mount.

huckersneck
    Free Member

@pealy I use an exposure Go-Pro adapter screwed in in place of the standard bar mount for mine, with some Loctite on the threads.

@flatpat
    Some friction compound, such as might be used to stop a dropper post slipping down, worked to stop mine rotating. Also using a different bolt with an allen fitting instead of a plastic finger-tightening head to get a bit more torque worked well.

joebristol

I used a clamp like this with my Bikehut 1600 (now Halfords Advanced 1600) light

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383708980724

There were loads similar when I was looking and it was well enough made for the purpose. Fits better on a 31.8mm bar than a 35mm bar where the bolts weren’t quite long enough.

Just replaces my Bikehut with a Maxx d and it’s another world of better handlebar clamp / so much brighter light. For the money though it’s difficult to beat the Bikehut one I reckon – always seemed to have good battery light and enough to ride fairly technical stuff when combined with a helmet light.

molgrips
    Free Member

Think he means it’s moving on the actual go pro pivot rather than the bar bit of the mount.

Ah yes, I had that too, but I found a solution:

Remove the bolt, then put super glue on both parts of the mount and insert it (without bolt) as if you are going to glue it in place. Then remove it and let it dry – so that you have both parts coated in a layer of glue. This provides much more friction than the original plastic, and you’ll then be fine with sensible torque on the bolt.

flatpat
    Free Member

Yes, sorry I wasn’t clear, the bar clamp held well (perfect size for my 35mm bar) but the GoPro-style clamp couldn’t hold the light horizontal, at least not after I’d flopped over a few drops.

Thanks for the advice @huckersneck and @molgrips – I’ll have a fiddle trying to rough up the plastic and/or a different bolt. I guess the long and heavy object is a scale above the centrally-positioned lightweight camera they were designed for.

Yes, @joebristol, still impressed with the light. It’s served me well this far and I actually got on OK with the original rubber strap until it weakened 2 years down the line. 330 replies since the original post!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Mine got me round Glentress blue the other night, brilliant fun! 450 for climbs and full burn for the downs, had plenty in reserve after an hour and 40 or so.

pealy
    Free Member

Anyone managed to get the remote working on an extension cable? I thought I’d put a small extension cable in with some Sugru to avoid breaking the half-hidden charging port. Remote refuses to work though, tried 2 different extensioncables and it has no effect. The cables work for charging and data transfer with my phone so can’t understand why..

h4muf
    Free Member

Got a strange one today,unit won’t power up on its own but plug it in and works fine?
    Anyone come across this?

colp

Sounds like a duff battery

z1ppy

well that Raveman remote didn’t work, though the connection is fine, thought it worth a shot as I lost the securing rubber band for the halfords one on my 2nd ride out & can’t for the life of me see how to secure it to the bars otherwise.

@h4muf
    , sound like you need to test the (2yr?) warranty

jake123
    Free Member

Warranty is 12 months I believe.

z1ppy

@jake123 supposedly two year, as it’s part of the advanced range

jake123
    Free Member

Ah decent. You got a link to that info?
    I have just purchased one and it would be decent if so

Rich
    Free Member

It says on their site Lifetime warranty for Halfords Advanced bike lights, so at least the more recent ones sold.

jabberingjimbo

Anyone ever suffered a complete ‘blackout’???

I have the 1000 version and after about 1:30 riding tonight (mix of high and med brightness) it just switched off whilst in med. It happened twice in about 2 mins, was then OK for the next 20 mins on low to get home……Still had 3 green Leds on high, so plenty of power.
    I’m guessing it’s the thermal cutoff, but it was -1c, mounted upside down if that matters.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, seems to be reported in cold weather. My 500 has dropped out a few times in the cold also. I’m considering sewing up a little jacket out of neoprene to keep it warm!

sweepy
    Free Member

I had a 500 and a 1600, they both cut out every 60s at around -4 or so. I had to turn one on, count to thirty elephant then turn the other on and start riding. that way when the first cut out I still had the other till I turned it back on again. Fine when warm and plenty of charge.
    Luckily I’d not had them long so returned them.

allyharp

Has anyone ever resurrected a 1600 from charging issues?

Last night when I tried charging, the bottom (0.5) red led on the scale starting blinking quickly. I thought the blink pattern seemed a little fast, so I tried another cable and it was exactly the same. It was a little hard to tell if that was the charging led pattern or an error led pattern, so I left it “charging” overnight.

Next morning it hadn’t charged any further – still sat at 0.5 – and now won’t recognise any combination I’ve tried from 4 usb cables and 4 chargers.
    It did this last week too, but that time it worked when I just tried a different cable.

The light works for now whilst it still has some charge left, but it doesn’t seem to work as a USB powerpack.

I’m guessing the batteries themselves are fine since they still hold charge, but something in the charging circuit has died. The fact it no longer works as a USB battery pack either, suggests it’s not just the charging port. Halfords have been helpful enough to confirm it’s out of warranty, but can’t help any further.

kimbers

Im in exactly the same position as you allyharp

was working fine last week now doing exactly as yours, also out of warranty!

Viewing 25 posts - 321 through 345 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Bikehut 1600 Light’ is closed to new replies.