Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 345 total)
  • Bikehut 1600 Light
  • mechanicaldope

Please can someone do this then sell me one?

tthew

I’m sure it would work, but then you’d have to power the Pi, which could be done from the battery but it would whack the life a lot. And even a Zero in a waterproof case would be approaching the size of a battery pack, so negate the point of an all-in-one light.

geex
    Free Member

your poor wives

P-Jay
    Free Member

has anyobe tried the 500 as a head torch yet? i`m tempted i do tend to like my head torch to be more powerful tham bars though (super twisty singletrack here)

I picked up a 500 and a 1600 the other day to replace some cheap non-branded ebay crap I got end of last year.

Rode Penhydd on Tuesday night in the worst conditions I think I’ve ever encountered on a night ride, probably top-10 for rides of any time too. Rain and fog meant viability was at 3 metres even with my lights and my mates Exposure Six Pack at full tilt.

Anyway, once the fog cleared it was a nice pairing, the 500 was light enough not to give me a stiff neck and the Bikehut helmet mount (sold separately £5) stopped it bouncing about and gave enough light for berms n’ that. The 1600 is probably about as bright as the ‘10000 Lm’ 7 lap Chinese one I ditched for it, better spread and better light ‘colour’ the 10k one is very white, almost blue and makes for very sharp shadows making the trail harder to read than the softer, more yellow bike hut one.

The functions don’t bother me, the 1600 has a separate on/off button and the 500 you need to hold down the button to turn it off/on – I only run full power anyway. I think it took about 2 hours to complete because of conditions and even with the lights on full to help see get ready / change etc they were still showing 1hr left on 500 and 2hrs left on 1600, don’t know how accurate that was.

The only downside was the out in front mount was pretty crap – it’s hard to fit with using Geoff Capes strength hands and however much I tightened the GoPro style knob, it slipped, the plastic feels like the sort of ‘self lubricating’ stuff you get bushes made from, I’ll try the rubber strap next.

joebristol

I’d buy an alloy mount to use like the one I posted on the last page. Much better and still cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I decided to refresh my light collection, after realising that faffing around with wires and chargers with my old fashioned set was making me use my bar-mounted light even though it’s not ideal.

Bought a 1600 for the bars and a 500 for my head.

The beam is actually quite spotty compared to others I’ve had, so throw looks like it should be good. Light quality looks good too – but not tried them on the trail yet.

But the mounting system looks like a great idea. With the OIF mount fitted the light is so far forward there’s no light leakage into my eyes or onto the cables and then into my eyes. I bought two mounts for different bikes, then the helmet mount, so I can do away with rubber straps altogether.

And the helmet mount is the crowning glory. It’s way better than previous velcro things (it has straps and clip buckles) and it sits far back enough to balance the weight without compromising light output. The 500 is now the most comfortable lid light I’ve tried – even better than separate battery ones, despite being an all-in-one.

The OIF mount might be a bit wobbly though.

tthew

I’ve had to move from the rubber strap mount to an old GoPro bar mount I had. Even with the stabiliser thing fitted, I found I was descending with one hand on the bar and one on the light to stop it falling forward. Not ideal!

I think the weight of it will overcome the ability of the supplied out front bracket, that’s a lot of leverage for a narrow plastic friction face to contend with.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Was out again last night with my 1600. I’ve ditched the GoPro mount for being wobbly crap and used the rubber strap.

Best MO I found was to strap it tight at the grip end of the bar than side to the middle, I’ve got 35mm bars so it was very tight, didn’t move and didn’t snap which was a fear.

joemmo
    Free Member

mid term update – 1600 still going strong, have just left it on the bike all summer for dusk rides and daylight running. For mounting I use a ‘Moon’ XL out-front mount which has the gopro bracket underneath and it’s absolutely solid. recommended

moon

pedlad

1st ride with mine last night as a helmet light to replace (hopefully temporarily) broken troutie. As you’d expect it’s not as good as that but seemed pretty decent output. Weight was manageable too.

Main issue is that the helmet mount is far from low profile, so wondering if there is a better solution. Something akin to the exposure mounts, that fasten against the inside of the helmet but top out with a go pro style connector…..

joebristol

I found a better aluminium GoPro mount for my bikehut light recently. Instead of being ‘out front’ which looked slightly dubious it literally loops the bar and the light mounts straight on top. Really happy with it now – the light is bright enough and lasts a decent amount of time. Paired with the Moon Vortex Pro on the helmet I’ve got enough light for steep technical off road riding.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought a spare plastic mount – one came in the box with the 500. But I might return that one and get a Moon instead if it’s going to be wobbly. Plastic one might be ok with the 500 on road.

EDIT guessing for the 1600 I’d need the XL Moon as, despite more length meaning more flex, the bigger light wasn’t far off the bars with the stock one. Am I right?

lovewookie

my charge port fell out. had 2 weeks left on the warranty and halfords replaced the light without quibble.

still seems like very little space and a very fiddly fit.

good light though.

russyh
    Free Member

I have one of these I’m not using if anyone fancies a lightly used one?

stevemorg2

Russyh – how much are you looking for?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Can anyone link me to any of the alternative mounts they’re recommending- as noted already when offroad the supplied one wobbles around all over the place!
    Cheers

whatgoesup

I use one of these – it’s much more solid than the mount that comes with the light and weighs almost nothing plus is cheap so quite happy with it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122851708371

I’d be interested to see the mount that @joebristol has found as I could do with one for another bike and like the idea of mounting on top of rather than in front of the bars

joebristol

I’d be interested to see the mount that @joebristol has found as I could do with one for another bike and like the idea of mounting on top of rather than in front of the bars

This is the one I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273988348865

I’d say it’s a little more secure than the out front one and it looks a bit nicer.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

excellent – thanks for the links both of you

molgrips
    Free Member

For those of you who have a free plastic mount that came with the 500, or who bought another (like me), you may be interested in the following mod. I noticed that the flex in the mount comes from twisting of the main stem, not up and down flexing. I had a look at the underneath:

When it twists, all these little rectangles become parallelograms. So I filled them with epoxy putty that sets rock hard, to prevent the rectangles from deforming:

It’s worked a treat. Absolutely rock solid now in normal riding; only a tiny bit of vibration on properly rocky fast descents which I can live with. I’m sure you could do a neater job than I did, it would be easy to get a proper finish – not that you can see it ever.

I will probably still get a Moon one for my rigid bike because I need a third, but I’ll happily use these now at under half the price on road and FS.

joemmo
    Free Member

@molgrips good bodge – did you use Miliput?

EDIT guessing for the 1600 I’d need the XL Moon as, despite more length meaning more flex, the bigger light wasn’t far off the bars with the stock one. Am I right?

I bought XL although the mount puts the light under the bar and the GPS level with it so overhang is less of an issue. It’s really rigid so I wouldn’t worry about flex.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s Unibond Repair Xpress just normal B&Q stuff.

coatesy
    Free Member

Anybody else noticed the remote draining the battery if left plugged in over the course of a week? Mine’s held it’s charge fine for best part of a month without it.

sam1988
    Free Member

Tempted by these lights. 1600 on the bars, anyone using the smaller ones on the helmet, either 500 or 1000?

spooky_b329

Thats brilliant Halfords are still selling these, I imagined they were an end of line job due to charging port niggles.

Mine has been great but the battery bank output has stopped working and I can’t see how to open up the unit without using force. I think I used a 1 into 2 way USB lead to charge my Wahoo and phone at the same time whilst bivvying and overloaded it as later that day it wouldn’t charge anything.

I was expecting a straight refund but I should get a replacement if its still available 🙂

lovewookie

if you get one, get a hope QR bracket to replace the rubber strap bar mount.

it’s solid after that upgrade.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Well finally chucked £40 quid the way of Halfrauds today,and like most im reasonably impressed the max setting is a fair old amount of USABLE light. I say that as its the amount of light emitted out as apposed to the throw of the beam, In conjunction with my China 100,000 lumen mini sun (£13 special )its brilliant. The rubber strap seemed to hold up well on my 35mm Renthal bars to, well worth the money and i mean what else can you get for £40 these day £40

allyharp

Does anyone know what GoPro connector Halfords have used? I bought one yesterday and was expecting it to include one based on the on the photos (just the attachment that screws into the light, not the mount for the bike) but my box only contains the rubber strap.

I also might have a dud straight out the box. Haven’t had time to investigate, but I didn’t manage to turn it on this morning all charging it fully overnight.

sharkattack

I just went to buy one of these now that they’re 40 quid. Just got a rubber strap in the box, I was expecting the Garmin mount as in the pictures on the website.

joebristol

Mine came with the rubber strap and a garmin out front mount but I did buy it either the start of this year or the end of last year.

spooky_b329

I got my fault 1600 replaced yesterday and the new one didn’t come with an out front mount. Luckily I kept the old mount but annoying as I could have done with another! Halfords description is out of date and some of the reviews point this out.

It’s available separately but might as well buy one of the alloy mounts instead. Mine also allowed the light to droop when off-road so only good for road work anyway.

sharkattack

It does say on the web page now that the mount is sold separate I just didn’t read it properly on the way to the shop.

Not too bothered, as I don’t have a Garmin but I do have a bunch of Go-Pro mounts which would have been useful.

molgrips
    Free Member

Slight irritation with the 500 – the part of the go pro mount that bolts to the light (the thing I think sharkattack is missing) is a bit too far back, so the light isn’t balanced. This means it has to be really tight to stop being knocked downwards over bumps on the road bike. Oddly the 1600 which is much larger does not have this issue on the MTB because the attachment point is more centred. And my MTB has suspension obvs.

sharkattack

Slight irritation with the 500 – the part of the go pro mount that bolts to the light (the thing I think sharkattack is missing)

This is what I was expecting to get, because I thought earlier versions had it included.
    null
    null

As I said, I don’t have a Garmin so I would have settled for the little Go-Pro screw on attachment to use on my existing metal bar mount. I’ll see what the rubber band is like off-road before I buy anything else.

joebristol

I found the rubber band wasn’t up to full off road – that’s on a bike with a 170mm Lyrik on the front (160mm rear travel).

Further up the page I linked an alloy gopro style mount which costs about a fiver which is perfect so far.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pure go-pro mounts are easy to find online for peanuts. Will be better than the band – I tried it, bounced all over the place, but that was on a 25.4 bar.

sharkattack

Further up the page I linked an alloy gopro style mount which costs about a fiver which is perfect so far

That’s what I’ve already got. Unfortunately the attachment for the strap/bracket screws into the body of the light and I don’t have the go-pro compatible part. I’m not too concerned, I’ll work something out from my box of nuts, bolts, adaptors etc.

dahedd
    Free Member

Im looking for a new helmet light to replace my aging Ay-Ups. Given I have a Gopro mount on my lid would this work as a helmet light?

molgrips
    Free Member

The 1600 would be too heavy and too bright, IMO, but the 500 is spot on – I use one.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Bikehut 1600 Light’ is closed to new replies.