Home Forums Bike Forum Bike Weight Calculator

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Bike Weight Calculator
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just wondered is there such a thing out there? any excel spreadsheets or similar?

ive never weighed my bike, and am seriously intrugied to see if it comes in under the 30lb mark (i hope it does), but having felt first hand the weight of a 2014 full carbons spesh enduro yesterday it felt amazingly light by hand for 160mm travel

its just got me wondering, ive never really bothered with weight before but id love to know if my lump of metal sits just under 30

tomhoward

Yes, weighing scales.

geoffj

honourablegeorge

Would be a waste of time, really. Quoted weights and actuals rarely tally. You need a decent scales.

Do you struggle to pedal it uphill?

If not, don’t worry about it.

If you are still worried about it, get down to TK Maxx and buy a set of Rolson luggage scales for £3.

Don’t spend lots of time putting numbers into a spreadsheet to come up with some possibly wildly inaccurate number.

andermt
    Free Member

Bathroom scales. One wheel at a time then add the numbers together.

Easy.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmmm okay, well ive not got any decent scales to be honest, thought there may be a spreadsheet or similar that calculated it all for you for by clicking on parts etc, suppose that would be an awful lot work for someone to do every single part out there

nevermind then ill just assume its under 30 lbs and not worry

trail_rat
    Free Member

a spreadsheet would be about as useful as just guessing like most folk on here do.

even complete builds of the same bike in the same size in manufacturers specification can vary massively.

and the weight of all the components weighed individually NEVER adds up to the weight of the complete bike ime.

tomhoward

Most LBSs will have some, try them next time you’re in.

andermt – Member

Bathroom scales. One wheel at a time then add the numbers together.

Easy.

Can’t decide if serious, or not….

My large 2008 carbon S-Works Enduro, with 5.5lb 170mm Vengeance forks, XT kit, Hope M4’s, EN521 rear/Roval front, Spesh Eskars (tubed), dropper post et al is bang on 30lbs if that helps

Lester
    Free Member

i weigh mine on luggage scales
    i happen to have 2 types of scales digital and mechanical , cost about £6 each so dont bet on them, and usually more less agree

maxtorque

This is STW, so just tell everyone it weighs 22lbs and be happy!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

:lol:

im gonna guess at sub 18lbs then, sorted! not bad for a 140mm full bouncer eh? now wheres my prize?

TAFKASTR – id guess mine probably will come in under 30lbs then to be honest, touch and go but it will be close

honourablegeorge

I’ve weighed my bike at a shade under 31lbs, but I’ve seen people on here with heavier builds on a different frame claim 26/27lbs.

andermt
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Can’t decide if serious, or not….

Completely serious, it’s basically the same way cars are weighed for corner weighting on suspension set-up (just using more expensive kit and all 4 wheels at the same time).

plyphon
    Free Member

Weight self
    Weight self holding bike
    Subtract self weight

chvck
    Free Member

nevermind then ill just assume its under 30 lbs and not worry

Why would you worry if it is over 30 lbs? If it rides fine now and you weigh it and it comes in at 31 lbs it isn’t suddenly going to be harder to ride!

iolo
    Free Member

Who care what your bike weighs.
    If, when you’re riding, you’re having fun it’s the right weight for you.
    If you really are a weight weenie don’t eat for a week before you ride.
    Take plenty of picolax too to empty all the weight from your body.

nick1962
    Free Member

Why would you worry if it is over 30 lbs? If it rides fine now and you weigh it and it comes in at 31 lbs it isn’t suddenly going to be harder to ride!

But that 1lb could mean the difference between a podium spot or not surely? :wink:

DanW
    Free Member

Bathroom scales are also inaccurate. Hanging scales are the way to go.

If you do not want to buy a set of hanging scales then take your bike to your LBS for them to use their hanging scales (most have a Park Tools one or similar) to show how vastly inferior your bike is compared to the Spesh :wink:

PJM1974
    Free Member

Digital scales and Excel here. There’s no substitute for weighing the components yourself and recording actual weights.

But then it’s far too easy to worry about weight and pursue an ideal, which ultimately detracts from enjoying your ride. I’ve been there too.

bellefied
    Free Member

as I weigh 100kg, its gonna be easy for me to lose some weight than my bike :)

DanW
    Free Member

Digital scales and Excel typically underestimates total weight with discrepancy due grease etc used during assembly and a whole host of other inaccuracies. This approach is good for trying to justify individual component upgrades but nothing beats a hanging scale for a complete bike weight.

jameso

The easiest way to deal with the weight of your self-specified bike is to not give a tss )

As long as there’s no really heavy, ott parts on it and each part is there for a reason then it’s all ok. Worth knowing some part weights for reference I guess, but no big deal.

soobalias
    Free Member

hardtails are under 30lbs, proper full suss is over 30lbs.

its the stw rule of thumb.
    doesnt apply to fat bikes, or ones with new fangled wheel sizes they are all over 30s
    road bikes are 20lbs.

hth

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Luggage scales… not as accurate as proper scales, but I’m sure they will be close enough. Or just pick it up and think ‘hmm, about 30lbs’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did mine during build a day it was within 500 g of the calculated weight from a spreadsheet a day manufacturer quoted weights. Surprised a fee people too.

DanW
    Free Member

500g is massive in Weightweenie terms :wink: But as a percentage of the total bike weight for normal people.. not bad going, quite surprising :-)

Did mine during build a day it was within 500 g of the calculated weight from a spreadsheet a day manufacturer quoted weights. Surprised a fee people too.

So, innacurate by 1.1lbs? That’s the difference between an awesome bike and a crap bike to the OP ;-)

thomthumb
    Free Member

most bike shops have scales. ask nicely.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    hardtails are under 30lbs, proper full suss is over 30lbs.

its the stw rule of thumb.
    doesnt apply to fat bikes, or ones with new fangled wheel sizes they are all over 30s
    road bikes are 20lbs.

hth

nooooooooo, road bikes are 16lb, 1lb over the UCI limit, that way no one will ever question it.

maxtorque

I’ve checked my calculator a couple of times, but it just says this:

;-)

Dibbs
    Free Member

a spreadsheet would be about as useful as just guessing and then taking off a couple of pounds like most folk on here do.

FTFY

PJM1974
    Free Member

Digital scales and Excel typically underestimates total weight with discrepancy due grease etc used during assembly and a whole host of other inaccuracies.

Depends on how thorough your spreadsheet is…I’ve weighed cables, hoses, clips etc and weigh each component with bolts included. I doubt very much whether a few squirts of grease will make a massive difference, after all my tyres weigh more after a ride when they’re muddy than before.

crikey
    Free Member

My mate had a bike shop and when people turned up with fancy light bikes he would weigh them…

..with a careful steadying hand on the wheel to add a few pounds…

sbob
    Free Member

Completely serious, it’s basically the same way cars are weighed for corner weighting on suspension set-up

It isn’t.

(just using more expensive kit and all 4 wheels at the same time).

And that is why.

richmars

Interested. How do they set up car corner weight now?

Saccades
    Free Member

but nothing beats a hanging scale for a complete bike weight.

E1 class Pharma scales that are big enough to put your whole bike lying down onto wee wee all over your hanging scales.

;)

br
    Free Member

as I weigh 100kg, its gonna be easy for me to lose some weight than my bike

Doubt it. Loosing weight on a bike is easy, just spend cash on a part that weighs less than the one you already have. You on the other hand…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Bike Weight Calculator’ is closed to new replies.