Home Forums Bike Forum Bike repair stand for ebike?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bike repair stand for ebike?
  • shinton
    Free Member

Can’t work out whether to go premium, Chinese knock-off or cheap and cheerful.
    Premium = Feedback Sports Pro Elite
    Chinese knock-off of the above
    Cheap and cheerful – any suggestions?

bigginge

I’ve got one of the knock off ones linked above (though I got mine for less than £40 from a seller on eBay). It’s definitely a step up in terms of function/quality compared to my previous one (This sort of thing but I can’t say it copes all that well with the weight of my XL 29er full suspension bike and I’m not sure I’d want to push my luck going any heavier.

To counter that, the only nicer stand I’ve used was a massive, steel, park tools workshop stand that was bolted to a concrete floor in a bike shop. So I don’t know how my Knock off compares to the feedback sports one.

kayak23

😉

damascus
    Free Member

Some scaffolding posts?

iainc

I use a Park PCS 10.2 for all my bikes incl 29er ebike and it’s pretty good. Only fault is that the rotation on the clamp can seize up if left tight with no bike in it.

doomanic

I got a version of the Aldi/Lidl stand for £12.99 from eBay 3 years ago. It’s no Park work stand but the bike’s never hit the floor while using it.

cookeaa

Cheap stands here, they’re all much of a muchness IME, won’t last forever but better than nothing, and while I use it a fair amount, I’m not a professional Bicycle spannerist, and it’s not a tool of my trade it’s not seeing 8hrs/day X 7days a week .

One thing that’s worth doing immediately is epoxying all the rubber bits in place otherwise they will fall off.

Other than that you’ll get 4 or 5 years use from a ~£20-30 investment, or spend over £100 for a sold decade+ of use and blue paint, up to you as to whether it’s really worth it, the difference in price is probably a couple of nice bike parts…

oceanskipper

I looked at a whole bunch of stands for my e-bike and the only one I was confident would handle the weight is the ParkTool PRS-25 although that one in you link says it will support 35Kg so…..

It’s very expensive. It’s also absolutely fantastic. It’s lightweight and really quick and simple to open out so I can practically set it up with one hand and it folds away really well and sits in the corner very nicely when not in use. It holds my e-bike with no issues and I haven’t had any problem with the clamp seizing (although I have read a few reviews where people have said they have had an issue). The quick release clamp is superb and allows me to lift the bike with one hand and clamp it up with the other. It’s the best and most used bit of ParkTool kit that I own.

shinton
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, and of course the usual STW humour! I’m not really into spannering and more likely to stick it in the LBS for other than simple stuff and cleaning so I think I’ll go budget but definitely 3 legs.

dyna-ti

I worry that when i see them supported by the dropper, it must be putting considerably strain on the post, kinds of puts me off even trying to hoist the bike up on it. In fact I cant really think of a spot to grip the frame that doesnt put considerable strain against a single tube.
    What about one of the bottom bracket held ones.

The park or other proper stands are maybe restrictively expensive for the casual user, but maybe the wall mounted one would be a better outlay.

shinton
    Free Member

Good point. I did see a picture of a stand with some old drop bars in the clamp and therefore giving you 2 load points on the frame when you hook it on. Anyone else use this type of setup?

z1ppy

other than simple stuff and cleaning so I think I’ll go budget but definitely 3 legs.

If it’s for cleaning/ general maintenance, I will recommend the Mk.2 stand these guys sell: https://www.fjmcustombikestands.com/

I’ve had my Mk2 for over a year & half, and wouldn’t be without it. No, it wasn’t cheap but the amount of use it’s had, has proven it worth to me.. Fold it up and throw it in the car too.

FJM mk.2 stand

Tim
    Free Member

My Lidl one is fine with the battery out of the bike

kayak23

I worry that when i see them supported by the dropper, it must be putting considerably strain on the post

Your average ebike weighs what, maybe up to 25kg?

Most of us weigh considerably more than that. Some more considerably than others as we’re squooshing around on our saddles on bumpy climbs.

I’d have thought it would be able to handle it. Having said that, I normally allow the front wheel to drop to the floor.
    That’s not really a conscious decision as the clamp on my old Lidl stand can’t take that kind of leverage so does it automatically. 😉

dyna-ti

The one in zippy’s pic looks ideal. Sits on the front wheel so you can work on the back, but it would probably work better if it could also tilt onto the back wheel so you could work on the front.
    That might not be possible due to weight placement, unless of course the battery is taken out to take a bit of weight from forward of the fulcrum point.

vmgscot

My GF uses the Lifeline one mentioned above with her Merida e160 (2020) and holds it OK.

argee

Take the battery out and use a standard one, i use the aldi special for mine, works for me, biggest issues is always with the claw turning due to the rear weight of an ebike, but haven’t had that issue when i tighten it up properly.

big_scot_nanny

I’ve the same one as @garethjw , had it 13yrs too, treated like shit, carted all over the place as a mobile workstand as well as constant use at home for all the family bikes, but it refuses to die and does it’s job well. I would think it’ll hold the weight just fine.

scotroutes

My Edinburgh Bike Coop stand looks identical to that Lifeline one and is easily 15 years old. The lever to tighten up the tilt mechanism needs tightened occasionally. Other than that it’s still fine.

jamj1974

I continue to use my Lidl stand, but rest one wheel on the ground.

jonk

I have the same as the lifeline above – it’s made by bike hand a big taiwan tool maker. It holds my E-bike fine as long as it balanced correctly due to it only having 2 legs.

argee

I should add, what do you want though, do you want that one you have actually listed, which looks great and will do the job easily, or are you wanting to get something cheaper?

That’s the big one, if you have the money, like the nice one then get it, i wouldn’t feel guilty about buying top quality for certain things, i do it all the time, if you want top quality and that’s the one you have shortlisted then get it and enjoy.

shinton
    Free Member

Thanks again for the info guys. I’m going with the one that z1ppy called out.

z1ppy

😀 glad to help, it’s a more useful stand for ‘general’ maintenance & washing than my minoura repair stand. @dyna-ti they’ve developing an extra stand to lift the front wheel, while using the back one, if you check out their face-ache page

dyna-ti

Most of us weigh considerably more than that. Some more considerably than others

That is a very clear and concise point, well made.
    I shall keep that in mind 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bike repair stand for ebike?’ is closed to new replies.