Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Bike clothing = poor value and poor design?
  • nickc

No, I think that’s probs a valid critism TBH @chakaping. I am being a bit precious. By the same token, the numbers of folks willing to sell you really nice (call them snobby if you will) jerseys are legion. I could count on the fingers of a foot the numbers of folks that do the same for MTB. I do get the impression that we are the unloved ginger cousin of the cycling world sometimes

Like everyone else I buy cheap polyester stuff, and it rips and I throw it away when it’s worn out, and some of t is OK but I’d also like to have the chance to buy something nice occasionally that might last and doesn’t add to the landfill quite as soon.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One thing that does amuse me is how there was a massive fuss over skin suits in dh racing not looking cool enough but now it seems lots of the cool kids are wearing very tight clothing that’s not far off a skin suit for stuff like Rampage anyway

I know what you mean, but there is a wee bit of a difference in good fitted clothing, and looking like a gimp. I much prefer good tightish fitted short (I don’t do ‘baggies’ tbh) – that nice stretchy softshell material is perfect for me.

The Aussie Grit bib shorts I got when they went tits up are awesome, nice and fitted, light, and pretty tough, and one pocket that takes a phone, bang on.

DickBarton

We aren’t the unwanted cousin or family member of the biking world, we seem to be the teenager years where we just want to buy stuff without thinking it through…MTB has blown up with all the various disciplines and a lot of them are all image based so people buy in to that…and seem happy to part with cash, so why would manufacturers spent more time, money and effort on stuff when they don’t need to?

I’m a lycra-wearing MTBer (or at least someone who only rides a MTB – not sure I qualify as a MTBer these days). I hate poor kit but I also grudge spending a lot of money on stuff that I don’t know will last. I’ve got Endura kit going back to about 1998 and it still gets worn (biblong tights) and some shorts, the newer stuff from them hasn’t lasted as well.

I’ve plenty lycra tops and I wear them when I bike, I’ve long stopped wearing baggy shorts whilst riding as they just gets stuck around my saddle…I’ll happily wear ‘road’ kit as it seems to work for me.

I suspect there are a few companies that make decent ‘baggy’ kit, but I’m not going to know as I don’t find it works for me on a bike…so I’ll happily admit my view is definitely biased.

Saying that, I’ve got very few cycling mates as they tend to be the baggy kit wearing types and they always get a good few digs in about my riding gear (although these days it is more the age of the kit – but it still works so I’m happy not to spend on stuff just to buy more stuff).

I do need to sort out a new waterproof jacket though, I’m not convinced there are any that can stand the mud/grit and backpack straps combined to then remain waterproof for long, so I may buy cheap and accept it won’t last as long.

bikesandboots

Another question – how come reviews aren’t picking this up?

It would seem an easy task to read say 50 reviews of a certain type of item, then with new items look out for the same pros/cons/faults. As a reviewer, or even as a manufacturer.

Scott riding windproof. Generally OK, but has no tie down for hood which flaps around, and a crazy RRP of £140.

Start Fitness, £35 at the moment.

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Bike clothing = poor value and poor design?’ is closed to new replies.