Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Bike clothing = poor value and poor design?
  • b33k34

“Pick an Clothing Brand and be a dick about it…”

This.

I’ve had Endura kit that was really well made and had loads of use. The high end Equipe road kit they did for a while was the match of anything I’ve seen – the shirt, short and winter gloves are just brilliant. But I’ve also had pair of 3/4’s lycra shorts with seam thread like sandpaper and stuff that just fell apart.

I’ve a couple of pairs of Galibier gloves that are fantastic – The Ardenne Light and Elysee leather gloves are both superb and great value. But the Womens lycra shorts K bought went back as the worst fitting shorts she’d ever tried on. Apart from anything else the pad seemed to be in completely the wrong place.

Fox baggies work for me – expensive but good fabric and fit well and last. Most of their riding shirts seem to just be massively overpriced nylon t-shirts.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been using alpkit stuff recently. Good customer service and 3 year alpine bond. So far so good. I get the impression a lot of staff are active and use their own kit and feed back into the process. It’s designed with use in mind and not as a fashion item to go to the shops in. Currently using their bib shorts, tights, gloves and bum bag. Might try some other bits when my current kit needs replacing. I also like the repair stations they have in store.

I’ve not had anything fail yet but I think it will be easier to deal with as there are no middle company to go through.

6ft3 and slim so I find it hard to find jackets that fit my shoulders and arms and arent designed for a beer gut. I find running and road kit in general is a better fit for me.

I pick and choose my kit, I’m a miss match of brands and colours, no real brand loyalty, I base my desicion on the item and price, not a brand but currently being won over by alpkit.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

a lot of MTB specific kit is more about the brand though rather than the function and you end up paying for that. the example above of fox jerseys for £50-60 for a polyester t-shirt with a massive logo is a point in case. there’s obviously a brand behind all outdoor kit companies, people have their favourites and some are perceived to be higher quality than others, however i think it’s more about the logo with a lot of mtb kit

nickc

Yep, and lots of other branded kit names are the same; £60-80 for a polyester tee shirt that’s 4 pieces and not that well sown together fits where it touches and will rip at the first sight of the undergrowth, or starts to fade or bobble after a year or so and don’t get me started on Fox clothing sizing…

Some-one on the previous page mentioned their Rapha jersey that’s lasted for years and worn constantly, I’ve got a similar roadie top of theirs and it’s a lovely bit of kit, I was so disappointed with the Rapha release this year I actually wrote to them to complain about it! I know 7mesh make some lovely stuff (I’ve got a couple of base layers) but surely it shouldn’t cost that much to make just half decent well thought out kit that’s well put together? Perhaps it does. But if I can buy a Rapha roadie jersey that’s well made with natural fibres, fits well, and lasts years, where’s the MTB version of that?

matt_outandabout

however i think it’s more about the logo with a lot of mtb kit

While this is partly true, it doesn’t explain some of the issues listed here – Endura for example with iffy detailing…

b33k34

But if I can buy a Rapha roadie jersey that’s well made with natural fibres, fits well, and lasts years, where’s the MTB version of that?

The Rapha winter MTB kit doesn’t seem to be on their website yet (maybe I got an email about it?) but there was a top with a new wool mix fabric, windproof front and bramble resistant sleeves that sounded promising.

oldfart

Bought a Fox technical base layer in the Summer , under £30 it’s been great , subtle logo’s as well . Contrast this with my quest for some decent trousers . Tried a pair of Leatt from Wiggle , there was a reason they were reduced to under £50 . They looked so flimsy that they wouldn’t last 5 minutes , as for the “ ventilation” 3 holes poked in the top of each leg really ? 🙄 Thought Leatt would be better than that .
    Thought I’d move up the price scale next , Madison Zenith 4 season trousers which were mislabelled in the current mag , those are actually the DTE version at £119 . Mark has apologised . Even so £89 and no Velcro or closure of any type on the ankle cuffs ?.?? How much extra does it cost during manufacture to stitch a strip of Velcro on for heavens sake ! 🙄 Disappointed at Madison because up until now the kit I’ve had of there’s actually seem to have been thought out and designed by people who actually use it .

Del

I haven’t seen the leatt trousers you’re taking about but thin fabric can be really tough and long lasting. I have a Montane Featherlight that’s years old now, has a hole in the belly courtesy of an exposure bar mount that also pierced my skin but that hole hasn’t grown and that top has been through the wash/proof cycle numerous times, pulled out the bag in the midst of horrible conditions, ridden through brambles, crashed in, the lot. It would literally blow away in a stiff breeze.

I might check those trousers out…

kelvin

there was a top with a new wool mix fabric, windproof front and bramble resistant sleeves

Here you go…

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-trail-windblock-jersey/product/TWI01XX

Trousers look interesting (but short), but not available yet.

edhornby

I tend to buy in person and I’m not bothered whether its ‘road’ or MTB. Road stuff works better if you are slim, I use;

planet X bibless tights
    Bib shorts from prendas but also dhb ones fit ok
    Avoid wools for baselayers they don’t wick. A HH is fine or the px ones work.
    Summer jerseys from wherever I like the look of.
    All the layers under a waterproof jacket or castelli Rain gilet.
    Gloves from Evans
    Aldi socks
    Prendas caps and a buff in combination for cold weather layers

crazy-legs

I was out running with a couple of guys yesterday who were on a 5 mile rant about Inov8 shoes and how they don’t last and are to expensive.

Best shoes I ever had were Inov8. Just bought a new pair and (after a few issues with the website), no problems at all. Quick delivery, first impressions very good. If they last half as long as the previous pair they’ll be well worth it.

Agree with the comments about Endura. Sometimes their stuff is genuinely brilliant, other times it seems to be a bit flaky. I’ve had two of their Stealth softshell jackets though (sadly not made anymore) and they’ve been nothing short of superb. The first one did finally die after many years of commuting use when I wore it around Gisburn in horrendous conditions and the gritty muddy soaking it got finally convinced me to just bin it.

MTB jerseys now are kind of like roadie jerseys from 15-20 years ago. A bit shapeless, polyester/nylon mix fashion statements rather than technical garments. For years I wore roadie jerseys and MTB shorts because frankly, the roadie jerseys were far superior!

patagonian
    Free Member

I agree with most of the previous comments. I don’t understand why sizes vary so much to the point that I dread buying clothing online.
    I’ve mostly switched to Decathlon because they have some pretty usable kit at reasonable prices (because it is going to get snagged etc) but I can try it on instore.

I too have some Endura shorts that seem bulletproof (and true too size) but they are at least 8 years old so cant comment on the current stuff.

roger_mellie

I do often find myself wondering who tests the products out and that I could do a better job.

And

Another question – how come reviews aren’t picking this up?

There used to be a section in a certain MTB magazine (😉) where they reviewed kit but only after it had been well used for a time. But apparently people would prefer to read online reviews of kit the instant it’s released. 🤷‍♂️

I have some Aussie Grit jerseys (which are a relaxed roadie fit) which are excellent, but the company ceased trading, which is a real shame.

There are alternatives to the overpriced Fox jerseys. These were recommended on another thread. setup

sirromj

Things I hate about Summer MTB clothing:

* gloves with a long wrist section
    * shorts with a high waist consisting of multiple layers of folded material

Does anyone put anything in the pockets by the knee on MTB shorts and then get on their bike and go for a ride? I suppose something small and light (a rubber Johnny or two?) might be ok.

ton

MTB. Road stuff works better if you are slim, I use;

this 100%. the reason i hate cycling clothing is because i am very big and i have never found any cycle clothing to fit.
    fat lad at the back stuff is made for fat lads, not big lads.
    might start a bike clothes company ‘big bloke at the back’.

didnthurt

Love a single thigh/knee pocket, it’s the perfect place to but your gloves pre/mid/post ride.

I do think that clothing companies should show the clothes on a model the sane body shape as the intended customer.

slowoldman

Not one noticed the belly zip poorly finished and will slowly undo?

Why do bibs need a zip? None of mine (Castelli, Galibier, Endura) have zips.

dyna-ti

Got some windproof leggings a few years back to help keep the heat in in winter.
    I went cheapo cheap and got muddy fox ones out of sports direct.

They were windproof alright, but I found them sweaty even on a relatively cold day so chucked them, but before i did I took a close examination as to why they were so sweaty, thinking it would be a nylon or something lined with fleece
    I found the front panels were layered with polythene.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I hate the velcro obsession. Get it tae ****.

crazy-legs

Why do bibs need a zip? None of mine (Castelli, Galibier, Endura) have zips.

Easier to put on / take off.
    Easy way of adjusting for temperature as well. My Rapha ones all have zips, none of them have ever failed in that area.

What I don’t like in tights is a pad. Shorts (with pad) underneath, tights over. It’s quite difficult to find plain, non-padded tights now.

anagallis_arvensis

Not just other sports but MTB kit in comparison to the boom in roadie kit makes us look like mugs by comparison.

The crux of it for me is that most MTB kit is form over function, people want to not look like a roadie but the roadie kit is function over form.

matt_outandabout

Why do bibs need a zip? None of mine (Castelli, Galibier, Endura) have zips

Saves the hunch over for peepee.

nickc

@anagallis_arvensis I think that covers it for me, Unlike roadie, I don’t think any of the major clothing manufacturers or designers have ever really sat down and thought through what the platonic MTB jersey should be. What features it might need and what material is best and how it should fit. That’s a function of the fact that roadie has a history going back over a century or so, and MTB being still quite young relatively speaking, and still influenced by fashion rather that function (as you suggest)

anagallis_arvensis

I think you are right nick. Anytime clothing for any activity starts having to worry about the ‘look’ it will start to lose function.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sizing is a nightmare as demonstrated above and essentially the key to most of the issues

Adults tend to be more than six/seven sizes but that’s what we expect them to offer technical clothing in.

Quality is always variable as it depends which factory made them and whether any QC exists.
    All brands seem to be on the quality rollercoaster

As for magazine reviews, think of them more as advertorials

razorrazoo

I don’t think any of the major clothing manufacturers or designers have ever really sat down and thought through what the platonic MTB jersey should be. What features it might need and what material is best and how it should fit.

Horses for courses and all that, but I don’t need much in terms of features on an MTB jersey, I don’t want pockets, zips, skin tight etc in the way I do on a road top (can’t think of anything worse than a non skin tight top with bits in pockets jumping about), just something which fits well, no scratchy bits, regulates heat well and is not covered in naff logos (which rules out a lot of MTB kit) – ie a decent technical T-Shirt with a bike friendly cut.  There are quite a few options which fit this brief, though as stated above my main issue is needing a size between M & L.

What I would like is MTB trousers which are designed for someone shorter of leg (and between M & L)

bridges
    Free Member

most MTB kit is form over function

Lol! It’s something, but it’s definitely not ‘form’. 😀

Most people who do MTBing are male, 30+ and have no sense of style anyway, let’s face it. So perhaps that’s why MTB clothing is so generally terrible.

Exhibit A:

tld

scottishscrutineer
    Free Member

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bike-clothing-poor-value-and-poor-design/page/2/#post-12088516

Have a look at Lusso or Galibier.cc for unpadded bibs

b33k34

I don’t think any of the major clothing manufacturers or designers have ever really sat down and thought through what the platonic MTB jersey should be

I don’t think there is one. My requirements from a road jersey have never really changed – a decent length zip to open for long climbs, pockets enough to stash windvest, phone, a bit of food.

Off road I know people who do use pockets (though I never have). I used to think a zip was desirable but no longer do. I don’t think a basic t-shirt cut works that well – it does imo need to be a bit longer at the back, raglan type sleeves work better in a riding position than simple t.

nickc

it does imo need to be a bit longer at the back, raglan type sleeves work better in a riding position than simple t.

There you go, you’ve already given it more thought that most do in just one sentence off the top of your head.

crazy-legs

Off road I know people who do use pockets (though I never have). I used to think a zip was desirable but no longer do. I don’t think a basic t-shirt cut works that well – it does imo need to be a bit longer at the back, raglan type sleeves work better in a riding position than simple t.

Back pockets (roadie jersey style) off-road are a nightmare unless the jersey is very tight and whatever is in them is small/slim – or the pocket is zipped to stop it bouncing out. Also the risk of falling off and impaling yourself on an multitool is considerably greater off-road.

That said, I’d be happy with a more fitted jersey minus back pockets.

mmannerr

I don’t think there is lack of well-designed MTB clothing, e.g.Norrona, Gore, Leatt, some RF items are well engineered and last for ages but I do agree that prices have increased to painful level.

Also some fun seems to be lost over time, shirts like STW whisky barrel jersey were fun but not as over the top like Foska or Primal Wear.

bridges
    Free Member

Let’s be honest though; the main function of outdoor clothing is to signify your social status to others, but creating the image of yourself as virile, active, successful etc, whilst in busy urban areas. Ordering a Latté whilst wearing anything less than ArcTerycx is just such a faux pas.

BillOddie

The perfect Mountain Bike Jersey doesn’t ex…

Reasonably Priced (circa £30 full price)

Doesn’t get stinky as has silver in it

Thin enough for summer, layer another tech t underneath for cooler temps.

Long enough at the back

Long enough sleeves

ayjaydoubleyou

The perfect Mountain Bike Jersey doesn’t ex…

exactly – there are plenty of options like this – this seems like a particularly good example though

long sleeve, form fitting but not skin tight, not a fluro advertising hoarding.

Theres a whole spectrum between the DH pyjamas and redsockrambler+spds aethetics

kelvin

There are many, many, many jerseys just like that one. From many different brands all over the world. People are looking at the kit they don’t like, and skipping straight passed easily available no nonsense unexciting kit that just works. Ultimately, people like to moan, don’t they.

nickc

There are many, many, many jerseys just like that one

Yep, and they’re all just a bit shit and made of 100% plastic, none of them really fit that well, and are badly put together I’ve a cheap Dakine tee shirt that has the small chest logo on my right shoulder and the large back logo on my chest…

As A_A and others have pointed out the roadie jersey world is sorted, it’s pretty hard to spend the same sort of cash as you would for a branded MTB jersey and get a poor product, why is that not available for mountain bikers?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve never understood the love for Endura. I had their shorts and liner shorts and they were absolutely horrible to wear, then fell apart quickly.

I’m not sure stuff is bad generally, but does seem expensive.

One thing that does amuse me is how there was a massive fuss over skin suits in dh racing not looking cool enough but now it seems lots of the cool kids are wearing very tight clothing that’s not far off a skin suit for stuff like Rampage anyway.

iainc

^^^^ on the flip aside, most of my MTB/gravel kit is Endura and i have had very few failures through poor fit, bad design or workmanship. The rest of my kit is either Rapha or Castelli, with some dhb and Decathlon base layers. I can’t really fault any of it, and it all gets worn a fair amount, often in pretty poor weather/conditions.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, and they’re all just a bit shit and made of 100% plastic,

May I suggest that you’re being a teensy bit of a snob?

Polyester jerseys (preferably with little holes under the armpits) work pretty damn well for MTBing.

Or a poly baselayer and softshell jacket when it’s cold and/or raining a bit.

I’ve got posher merino tops but they only work for me in proper cold. Roubaix is great on the road bike where windchill is more constant, I don’t bother with that for MTB either though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Bike clothing = poor value and poor design?’ is closed to new replies.