Home Forums Chat Forum Best way to seal two wood pieces together

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best way to seal two wood pieces together
  • SaxonRider
    Free Member

I installed an oak worktop in my kitchen many years ago, and did a poor job of joining the sections (I was, and still am, a DIY moron).

On both sides of the kitchen now, there is a small section of worktop that has sits lower than the longer piece it connects to perpendicularly, and I need to seal the join.

I have tried different wood fillers, but none have really worked to smooth the join, and certainly none have stopped leakage when liquids have been spilt. In other words, what should just be a seam between two pieces of worktop is more like a gap.

Is there a product that you would suggest with which I might close the gap (maybe a couple of millimetres) and seal the sections together?

tails
    Free Member

Get a thin piece of wood and wedge it in there then add whatever you’ve been using so far.

Could you take them and rejoin?

BigJohn

I can’t visualise it from your description but if the 2 pieces but up against each other with a small step then you need to put a silicone sealant in the gap and apply a permanent force to keep them squished together. If you have access to the underneath then maybe screw together at 15 degrees, like a pocket hole. If not then try and stick wedges in at the other ends of the worktop.

dyna-ti

Epoxy.
    If the gap is right through, place tape at the back then mix up some epoxy and fill the gap.

hugo
    Free Member

3 responses and 3 solutions. Pick the bones out of that!

I suggest porridge. Dries quickly, readily available, cheap and is vaguely wood coloured.

kayak23

Brand new artisan worktops made by a cabinetmaker.

hols2
    Free Member

I suggest porridge. Dries quickly, readily available, cheap and is vaguely wood coloured.

Or dog ****, sticks to anything. Seriously, epoxy resin sounds sensible.

kimbers

Can you get underneath?

And do you have a router?

Then you can use this kit

https://www.toolstation.com/colorfill-worktop-installation-and-repair-kit/p97633

duncancallum

Got a picture?

Can you pva a filler peice in and then plane it back,

jeffl

How are the two pieces currently joined? If the joint is not solid then Kimber’s solution is the best option. You need to stabilise it otherwise any sealer will eventually fail.

If however the joint is solid and you’ve just got a difference in height of a few mm then sand the higher side down to level them off then re-oil. I’d suggest Osmo top oil.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best way to seal two wood pieces together’ is closed to new replies.