Home Forums Bike Forum best shoes for flat pedals.

• This topic has 32 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • best shoes for flat pedals.
  • addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

i am going to be giving flat shoe's and pedals a try instead of my spds. was wondering what shoes were the best?. i was looking at shimano mp56 shoes with dmr v12 pedals. opinions would be much appreciated. thanks.

Andy_K

Skate shoes from TKMax. But i'm cheap.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I help run a BMX club and pretty much everyone loves their Vans.

doug_basqueMTB.com

For me the best I've tried are 5:10's i.e. grippiest. The shoes I use most often though are an old pair of pull on merrells (spelling!) purely because they're so comfy and take 20 seconds less to put on in the morning!

stevomcd
    Free Member

You can't go wrong with 5.10's. Nothing to argue with (except maybe the price). Awesome grip.

grumm
    Free Member

My five ten freeriders have started falling apart after not very long. They are mighty grippy though.

bowglie

I moved over from SPD's to flats a couple of years ago and use V12's and MP56's. I find them a good combo for longer XC/trail rides, but if I'm going for a quick blast around the local (rocky & very bumpy jumpy) trails I wear an old pair of 5.10's – brilliant if you want ultimate grip on the pedals.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Love my 5-10's here too.
    Dear but worth it.

Nike 6.0 Mogen

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

cheers people. just been having a look on crc at the 5-10 freeriders but they are expensive but the shimano mp56's are only 30 quid. still unsure haha.

Northwind

I've got a pair of 5 10s and a pair of scabby old Vans, I wear the Vans most of the time, only wear the 5 10s when the Vans are wet. The reason? They're better shoes, and nicer to ride in. The 5 10s are grippier, but the Vans are grippy enough so it's irrelevant to me.

brakes
    Free Member

always been a devout Van fan but got sick of the soles wearing out quickly so trying Nike 6.0 Morgans at the moment
    they're as grippy, but feel a bit more chunky

you shouldn't use v10s though, there are much better pedals out there

TheDoog
    Free Member

5 10's ridden hard for 3 years and still going strong. Vans are ok but waffle soles dont like pins!

zangolin
    Free Member

5.10 impacts – well impressed. Had for 5 months well made + no signs of wear – used daily.

Pedals – Wellgo Mags are worth a look if you haven't purchased yet.

andywarner
    Free Member

i'm still wearing a pair of vans skate shoes that i bought at uni (i'm now 30) and they're still great. if i've had a particularly mucky ride i sling em in the washer and they're as good as new. wouldn't change em for the world.

pinches
    Free Member

another vote for vans, make sure you get the waffle sole!

twohats
    Free Member

Vans.

CountZero

Vans with waffle sole, but make sure the sole is stiff, I've got a pair of Rowley's, which are like slippers, they're so comfy, but pedalling is a bit hard on the feet 'cos the sole flexes rather a lot. Pedal-wise, get a pair of DMR V8's. They're fairly basic, but they're cheap at around £25, and they have loose bearings and bushings, with a little grub-screw that you can remove and pump new grease into. I've got a pair on my SS that I bought around five-six years ago, and apart from the powdercoat flaking off, they work just as well as when I bought them. They still spin without play with the original bearings, and I've replaced one missing pin. Honestly can't fault them, and they're ridden practically every day.

Couldn't afford 5-10's bought Addidas Berms which are good for me & paid under £50 (just)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I went from SPD to flats 4 months ago. Love my 5-10 Freeriders – expensive but soooo much grip and look decent as well. Like grumm a few bits of stitching are coming loose but I a assuming they won't go any further and will therefore last for years.

DMR's have pretty small platforms and completely crap bearings. If you have big feet or want pedals that don't squeak go for something else. I got Shimano DX's

grumm
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and Superstar Nano Tech flats are excellent pedals imo.

Ewan
    Free Member

5:10s look like mong shoes.

The Shimanio ones are excellent, and the flap seems to make them fairly splash proof (unlike every other flat shoe i've used).

Rich
    Free Member

Most people always say 5-10's because they are so grippy, but it is just not necessary.

Almost any skate shoe with a sole that isn't too soft will do the job fine IME. As long as you have a decent technique.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

5.10's are mentaly expensive, £85 for a pair of trainers!

Get down to TKMax, bu be prepared to wait, you need to get the right shoes.

a) stiff, no floppy floppy slippers will do

b) flat sole, if theres any more than a pattern then they'll be uselsess.

c) seperate sole, the base of the sole should be seperate tp the shoe, i.e. glued on. This way when they wear out you can get them re-soled with stelaty dotty rubber for £35 and still be better off than buying 5.10 in the fist place.

I got theese for £35 from TKMax. http://www.kateskates.co.uk/froogle_mens.html?x5=2147367794

best shoes ever!

And dont get DMR pedals, theyr good and cheep, but not as grippy as better flat pedals, and the small size makes them hurt after a few hours, ones that are thinner with a bigger platform are much better,

grumm
    Free Member

My 5.10s were more like £55 in the CRC 10% off sale – though like I said they are looking a bit tatty already.

What was the name of that company that will resole any shoe in the stealth rubber for around £30?

drewster007
    Free Member

I use 5:10 sam hills and they are very grippy but look shit! i also use Nike 6.0's they are comfy but not nearly as grippy on my V12's

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

I ride alot of the trail centres. so do you,s think the shimano mp56,s would be ok?

Northwind

On the subject of pedals, the Wellgo MG1s are ace- They're like V8s but with a magnesium cage and proper bearings. But they weigh about 2/3s as much- they're lighter than V12s and cost about £35. Bargain.

UK-FLATLANDER

I've been really pleased with my 5.10 Impacts. My mate has a pair of the Shimano AM40's which also seem to be good

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

5:10s look like mong shoes

The Impacts do, but the Freeriders which are new this year look like pretty cool skate shoes.

Don't get this thing about resoling Vans etc with 5-10 rubber. £35 for non bike specific shoes when £60 will get you the real deal and last twice as long

pinches
    Free Member

5:10 impacts look like geriatric specials.

as for pedals, burgtec ftw

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you want the best grip then Five Tens are the only ones to go for, theres nothing else as good in terms of grip.

However, you may not need that much grip, i.e. if your riding trail centres then its unlikely your feet will be bouncing off the pedals, especially if your riding a full sus.

In which case you may aswell get some skate shoes

Ewan
    Free Member

Nah impacts look like mong shoes too. They also soak up water apparently. Get some of these:

Semi splash proof, and don't look (quite) as stupid.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘best shoes for flat pedals.’ is closed to new replies.