Home Forums Chat Forum best place to live around leeds?

• This topic has 52 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • best place to live around leeds?
  • meehaja
    Free Member

Bin off the stations and ride into work!

Failing that, If Stations are a big thing I’d suggest Horsforth, Cross Gates (perhaps less so, though for no specific reasons) and Morley.

There is mountain biking out of most doors. The steps out of my kitchen are sick in the wet and the garden is properly muddy! Leeds as a city is quite woody, with several large parks riddled with cheeky and legit trails, you can pretty much ride from Leeds city centre to the dales mostly off road!

I appreciate you are thinking more “Epic Trails” type riding from the door, in which case Bingley, Skipton or Hebden is the answer, but Leeds trails have a lot to offer local riders and public transport is a PITA (things are different up here laddy!)

If you fancy going for a ride when you move up here, feel free to give me a shout, I’ll show you all the little local bits that can be tied together to make interesting little rides!

cbrsyd
    Free Member

I live in Skipton. Good riding right on the doorstep and the whole of the dales and lakes not far away. If you are into trail centres Gisburn is only half an hour away.
    And there are great and non fee paying grammar schools for the kids as well.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

It depends how long a commute you want and how urban you want to be. I’d suggest Horsforth if you want the convenience of being closer to the city, but if you want to be further out probably Menston or Guiseley.

miguel73
    Free Member

Born and bred in York – not that good riding
    Lived Knaresborough/Harrogate for 10 years – some decent trails around but still have to travel a bit for anything decent.
    Just moved to Huddersfield – Peak District all the WAY!! a 30 minute drive for me, but get to spend all day there finding routes, love it!…..only a 40 minute train drive to Leeds as well

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Peak District all the WAY!! a 30 minute drive for me”

But your still having to drie. I’m out of my door on to moorland in less than 2 mins riding, and can do 30 miles off road without having to do more than cross a road. :-)

Are there any good routes around Hudds? I occasionaly drive back from work past Emley Moor, down to the M62 and it looks like there are some great hills, but not many good tracks?

miguel73
    Free Member

I’ve only just moved to Hudds, so i’ve only been playing in the Peaks so far. I lnow where you mean though as i’ve driven past Emley Moor a few times and thought it would be good to get out around there and start investigating

withersea
    Free Member

V happy in guiseley and meets all the criteria you are looking for, as others have said. We can ride from our house, 12 mins on the train to leeds and a good range of local schools. There are a number of new builds going up which can be cheaper than the traditional old stone property. There is a big development of an old hospital (High Royds) which I’d avoid, unless you like lunatic asylums from the 1800s. They are promoting it under a number of different names to loose the hospital link. On the plus side it does have a bridleway running through it! Seriously consider anything on the wharfedale line as most of the villages are really nice. If you like the area but want to spend less, look at otley, but you will be without a train station.

Feel free to drop me a line if you are looking for any local info on guiseley or would like a guided tour.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Saltaire!
    Bingley and shipley, mmmmmmm nope.

ianv
    Free Member

Bingley and shipley, mmmmmmm nope.

Bingley has some nice villages near by: Harden, Wilsden, Micklethwaite, Eldwick. The only decent part of Saltaire is the old village and those houses are tiny.

If you have kids of secondary school age, definitely look at Skipton. the two grammar schools are some of the best state schools anywhere in terms of results. Train fares from anywhere past Keighley are pretty expensive though as you are outside the subsidised area.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I live just outside Thirsk, Lots of nice villages, schools etc.

Leeds is 35-45mins by road (a1) Train is about the same.

I can ride onto the moors from home, The dales are 20mins away and dalby is 30-40 mins away.

Road riding is very good also. Got the national champs here in June.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Another point to consider.

If you are in Airedale you have to option of riding into Leeds on the canal. It’s downhill all the way (going in).

sturmey
    Free Member

I’d vote for Rawdon cos I live there. Great riding from the door be it road or off road. Everywhere else is full of bottom dwellers. :lol:

br
    Free Member

I lived in/near Leeds for 10 years – Morley for us as tbh anything to the north was (then) almost twice the price.

My pennyworth – she commutes 5 days a week, live an easy commute away, and while there are trains in, where does she have to get to then?

Also, get her driving…

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘best place to live around leeds?’ is closed to new replies.