Home Forums Bike Forum Best gravel ride southern Britain

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best gravel ride southern Britain
    molgrips
    Free Member

Not necessarily asking for a GPX but a general area and/or tips or trails.  I’m thinking Lambourne down/Ridgeway area but I’ve done that a fair bit. There are some interesting looking trails to the West and South of Salisbury – Cranborne Chase?  Not been there before.

hyper_real

I can’t proclaim it’s the best, but I did this New Forest loop a few months back and it was great https://bikepacking.com/routes/new-forest-gravel-taster-uk/

Actually felt like what gravel riding is supposed to be, rather than a bitty set of muddy bridlepaths.

rwoofer
    Free Member

South Downs Way has everything  you could wish for, but a long day!

ampthill

New forest is good. Particularly the less wooded North. The area round corfe castle was packed with gravel bikes when I was in my MTB. Lovely sea views too

The Peak using the old railways lines and more mellow bridleways in the White peak. This may be too far north

Based on Cotsduro the Cotswolds has potential, their route was a bit mad at the end. We started in Stroud

Hertfordshire is way better than it should be

I’ve had good rides from Exmouth

boblo
    Free Member

If you’re after multiple days,  King Alfred’s Way is definite worth adding to your shortlist.

jameso

+1 for the KAW, if you’ve not ridden it just head for the areas that you don’t know on that route. The SE corner after the Thames path, Reading through into Surrey section, wasn’t my favourite riding but the rest was good. I’d take a rigid 29er rather than a gravel bike but it counts as ‘UK gravel’ I think.

Not quite the south but I like Wales a lot, there’s some great forest tracks and quiet lanes that make perfect gravel bike riding.

Cranborne Chase?

Loads of good riding in the areas either side of the A350, some decent hills too.

anagallis_arvensis

Lambourne/Ridgeway type route…not saying it’s the best in southern England but it is a cracker of a ride imo.

Check out this route on Strava: https://strava.app.link/3wXa7puegIb — dusty banjo

fasgadh
    Free Member

Did Salisbury to Yeovil along the Ox Drove and a collection of chalky tracks about 18 months ago. Very enjoyable (it was dry).

supernova

Miles and miles and miles of real gravel roads throughout the FofD. Just about counts as southern England, with a bit into Wales.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No idea how it ranks, but for a gravel/lanes mix…

If single day, maybe start west end of South Downs Way to South Harting, head north to Hawley and then west to around Beacon Hill via Barnet Side Lane and Filmore Hill.

Straightliner

Isle of Wight. Miles of gravel trails, great views, some incredible coffee/cake stops and a bit of a mini-adventure as you are “overseas”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Looking for a convenient place to meet my mate who lives in High Wycombe so Isle of Wight, whilst interesting, would be inconvenient.

Need a 3-4hr loop. I like the New Forest idea.

40mpg

I live just between the New Forest and Cranborne Chase, ride both weekly.

The Forest is ok in all conditions, even now. Sloshy rather than sticky.

The Chase is sticky as hell. Expect wheels to jam solid frequently. Views are arguably better (or at least bigger) but best saved for drier times.

kerley
    Free Member

I find the New Forest pretty good (I have lived here for 25 years and still like it).  The only downside with a lot of the gravel roads are people walking about with kids, dogs or in groups which can get in your way which increases in summer.

Luckily I am an early person and typically out riding by 07:30 so not a problem but when I have been during daytime, especially at weekend, I find it frustrating,

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

I’m Salisbury. Yes, tons of gravel routes – KAW comes through.

When it’s dry, this area is bloody amazing for gravel rides, miles and miles of tracks, chalk roads, deserted woodlands and drove roads where you’ll not see a soul. Also Salisbury Plain is great for once in a while. But at the moment, nope! That chalk/clay stuff that’s fast and grippy when baked dry is gopping when wet, claggy and not fun.

New Forest, as said above, is rideable all weathers. Scenic with plenty of opportunities to stop, pubs/cafes etc.

chakaping

Hertfordshire is way better than it should be

Where are you thinking? I took my gravel bike back home and rode Broxbourne Woods last Xmas, it was fab.

sboardman

I did the East Devon Trail last September when we had that obscenely hot few days. I’d highly recommend it. Great views, nice tracks, and copious cream tea/ice cream/fish and chip stop opportunities.

mattsccm
    Free Member

OI! There is no Wales in the FoD.

DrP

ma and some mates are doing a gravel ride (about 80km) on saturaday..leaving Dorking at about 10am… Interested?

DrP

jfab

This is on my list for the summer, I get the impression parts of it are on the “should I be on a hardtail” end of the gravel spectrum which may or may not bother you:

The Woods Rat Run

soundninjauk

Where are you thinking? I took my gravel bike back home and rode Broxbourne Woods last Xmas, it was fab.

I was also wondering this.

supernova

mattsccmFree Member
    OI! There is no Wales in the FoD.

I hate to point it out to you, but quite a bit of Staunton is over the border that goes up the road from Redbrook.

Did you not see the machine gun nest watch towers?

benp1

I did the Rat Run (linked above) last weekend. Started on Friday morning, finished just after lunch on Sunday

Some of the area was absolute muddy hell and I was pushing on quite a few bits (up, flat and down), particularly around Cranbourne Chase. New Forest area was running mostly quite good, particularly if you stick to the bigger gravel tracks rather than the muddier bridleways. In fact the bigger gravel tracks are pretty much the perfect terrain for a gravel bike, they’re really rather lovely

I rode it on a rigid 29er (Mk1 Solaris with carbon fork and jones loops, 29+ up front) but it would be OK on a gravel bike if you are happy to take it easy on some of the rockier descents

mattsccm
    Free Member

Some of Staunton isn’t in the Forest though. Tis in Wales

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.